Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-18-15, 02:13 PM  
marya

Do You Cut Your Own (Short) Hair?

Any favorite how-to books, articles, DVDs, or tips? (I can't stream, so that's not an option.)

For decades I kept my hair a little below shoulder length, and it was so easy to trim. However, I loved Lady Mary's bob on Downton Abbey, so I thought I'd experiment--but I ended up with an earlobe length rather than than the chin length bob I'd planned. I kind of like it, though, and I may keep it this length, but short hair is definitely less forgiving than long hair when it comes to do-it-yourself trims. (I'm too cheap to pay a stylist!)

Thank you in advance!
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 02:19 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

How far are you from Seattle? I know you said you are too cheap to pay a stylist, but my hairdresser charges $25 (and I tip her $5). And she's so good that I drive roundtrip 450 miles to get my hair cut. (Ok...I also get to visit my friends .)
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 02:52 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I don't think I'd try to trim a bob on my own. I did my own when I had short layers. I've cut my husband's hair for 30 years except for the few times he went to the barber. I'm okay with layers but I think a bob would be tough.

Maybe you can find a cheap stylist somewhere. Cheap and good are hard to find though.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 03:50 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I love to cut hair. I am pretty good at cutting other people's hair, but when I have tried to cut my own, it has ended up looking terrible. There is no way to do as good a job on your own hair as a hairstylist can do. I think it is worth the cost of getting hair cut professionally.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 03:57 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marya View Post
I kind of like it, though, and I may keep it this length, but short hair is definitely less forgiving than long hair when it comes to do-it-yourself trims. (I'm too cheap to pay a stylist!)
This! I have naturally curly hair that I cut really short about 18 months ago. It's grown now to a bob-ish style just below my ears. You would think with the waves/curls and it being so short, it'd be low maintenance. In fact, it needs to be cut more often and more precisely, otherwise it looks all wild. Maybe if your hair is thin and straight, it'd be easier to cut? I think it'd be tough to cut short hair evenly yourself.

I personally go to Great Clips. It's cheap, and I've found someone I really like there, so I always ask for her. There are always coupons out too, so I usually pay under $20 including tip for a shampoo and cut.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 03:58 PM  
cherimac

I cut my own bangs in between cuts but that is it. I have medium-long hair so I only get it cut every 2-3 months.
Old 03-18-15, 05:04 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I've always cut my own hair, but I'm also a hair stylist. I've seen people who've also cut their own hair do a fantastic job, but it takes some practice and patience. Once it's cut too short, it's a bit too late at that point. On average hair grows about a half an inch per month.

If you're cutting all one length hair (on your own) it is much easier to do when it's chin length or longer. And, with layering you have to have your hands at the same height and follow that same perimeter around your entire head, taking small enough sections, so you see what was previously cut (as a guide.)

I haven't been to a salon since working in one over 20 years ago, but it might be a nice change to try something new. I guess it's a trust issue. Will the stylist listen to what you want or do their own thing? Plus, it's also a money thing for me. Why pay someone else to do what I can do better?

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 05:13 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

One tip I can suggest is not to soak your hair down before cutting. You want to have it wet enough to control the hair while holding it and sectioning it, but if it's too wet, hair will shrink after it dries. So if you make a cut at the tip of your nose when cutting your bangs (for example) it will be about eyebrow length when dry (and you have to factor in whether your hair is curly or straight.) Stretching out a soaking wet head of curly hair will be too short when cut, so I would mist lightly and use less/light tension when holding hair. I hope that makes sense? You just have to allow for shrinkage on hair that is wavy, curly, or very wet. Something to keep in mind.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 05:34 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
One tip I can suggest is not to soak your hair down before cutting. You want to have it wet enough to control the hair while holding it and sectioning it, but if it's too wet, hair will shrink after it dries. So if you make a cut at the tip of your nose when cutting your bangs (for example) it will be about eyebrow length when dry (and you have to factor in whether your hair is curly or straight.) Stretching out a soaking wet head of curly hair will be too short when cut, so I would mist lightly and use less/light tension when holding hair. I hope that makes sense? You just have to allow for shrinkage on hair that is wavy, curly, or very wet. Something to keep in mind.
Thank you, Pam! You've just explained why my intended chin-length bob ended up being earlobe-length!

My hair has a very slight natural curl--more of a wave, really-- and I can usually manage to fluff it around and conceal any accidents. The back was really a hack job this time, but everyone thought I'd cut straight across. (Definitely not true!)

I did find one interesting suggestion on the internet. If you're beginning with long hair and want a layered look, comb your hair over your forehead, tie it in a pony tail, and cut across the width of the tail. If I decide to let my hair grow again, I think I'll try this.
Old 03-18-15, 05:41 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
How far are you from Seattle? I know you said you are too cheap to pay a stylist, but my hairdresser charges $25 (and I tip her $5). And she's so good that I drive roundtrip 450 miles to get my hair cut. (Ok...I also get to visit my friends .)
I actually live in downtown Seattle. A community college in my neighborhood needs "guinea pigs" for its cosmetology trainees, so I might give them a try.

Tags
hair