Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-15, 02:41 PM  
PrairieGem

Question Not quite O/T: Casual shoes

I have been diagnosed with arthritis in my big toe! Oddly, this feels like a rite of passage (I'm 40, and have had issues with tendonitis in various places; this is my first arthritis DX!). Treatment right now is new shoes--something with good arch support (to keep the toe properly aligned). I have my athletic shoes taken care of, and I just bought a new pair of my everyday 24/7 wear-around-the-house-to-keep-my-feet-happy shoes... what I don't really have is a decent pair of casual shoes (ie, not sneakers or Crocs) to wear in public, with jeans or khakis, for a few hours/week.

What brands do VFers like, to look moderately presentable but still protect your foot health? I have such a hard time finding shoes--I have flat feet + pinky-toe bunions, so I need something that's really soft in the toe box (even Wide shoes are sometimes too stiff). And it's darn near impossible to find something that's both soft enough *and* supportive enough! Added to this, I have narrow heels and step out of a lot of shoes, so I've pretty much gone to just mules or clogs. (I find sneakers restrictive and uncomfortable for everyday wear--I can wear them long enough to work out in, but not run around in, if that makes sense!) Also thinking there should not really be a heel, right, to keep the toe joint from having to bend more than necessary?

Any VFers brave enough to go shoe shopping with me? My mom and a couple of friends gave up long ago out of frustration with my picky feet. (And, hey, if anyone wants to throw out a couple of sandals while they're at it, too, spring is coming eventually, right?)

Thanks!! Seriously, thanks. I am really hoping there's a way to keep my feet happy and that this won't affect my workouts for a really long time (isn't that the first thing you think of?)!
Old 01-13-15, 02:44 PM  
sherry7899

I cannot post links from my Kindle - look up the brand "klogs." I wear their closed shoes but they have open back also.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 02:46 PM  
TinaT

I have PF in my heals and bad Achilles. I only wear Danskos and Sanitas for my casual shoes. Sanita was the original founder of Dansko then sold. Both are still in business. Look locally to be fitted, but know you can get quite a selection on line for much cheaper. They are expensive, but worth it. Go to their sites to read up on them, then go check out: 6pm.com

This is the clearance warehouse for Zappos. No shipping on most orders and you get them in less than a week. Super good CS. Items can be up to 70% off at times. The podiatrists ASSC is trying to get these brands labeled so that you can actually get a prescription for them.

I wear them with jeans, etc. They have cute sandals as well for summer.
Good Luck ~
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 02:47 PM  
TinaT

Forgot to add... these shoes are designed to allow the heal to lift slightly for the foot to naturally bend with your stride. It will not fit tightly on the heal.
Old 01-13-15, 02:51 PM  
katmom

Alegria are my favorite. Some of the styles look pretty chunky, but they have recently released some less chunky styles. And they also come in some fun prints.

This is one of my favorite styles:
http://www.zappos.com/alegria-kaitly...lue-rose-stamp

I have these (different color) on today and they are so comfy:
http://www.zappos.com/alegria-alli-p...emboss-paisley
Old 01-13-15, 02:55 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I love my Vionics. I have struggled with PF and need a good arch support. I find them supportive and still cushiony. Here are my fav styles:
Mules: http://www.vionicshoes.com/women/mul...p-on-mule.html
Sandals: http://www.vionicshoes.com/women/san...de-sandal.html
Sandals: http://www.vionicshoes.ca/index.php/...de-sandal.html
Dress sandals: http://www.vionicshoes.com/women/san...ble-wedge.html

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 03:00 PM  
Tinks

I have a bone on my left foot that gets irritated easily with stiff shoes. I bought the Nike Free 4.0 Flyknit shoes and love them. "The Flyknit upper―a one-piece layer made entirely of polyester yarn―seamlessly integrates areas of stretch and structure, providing ultralight support and a contoured fit. Knit-in Flywire cables cradle the mid foot for enhanced support where you need it most."

The material doesn't bother my bone at all, and I love the toe box room. They actually make the toe box wide enough where I can spread my toes if I want. I wear these shoes every day with my black slacks, lol. Here's a link to the shoe: http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/fr...6/pgid-1524835

Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 03:04 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Before I switched to barefoot shoes I liked Clark's. The Privos were OK, but wore out very quickly so I would go with the full-priced Clark's. The extra cost is worth it. I liked Danskos too.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 03:08 PM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
Go check out: 6pm.com
This is the clearance warehouse for Zappos.
Ah!! The things you learn from VFers! I've heard of 6pm but never ordered; knowing they're Zappos/Amazon is entirely reassuring.

I have some Klogs, which were absolute *lifesavers* when I had a short problem with PF after fibroid surgery (something about having my feet in the stirrups caused some nerve problems with my foot), but find them really heavy and stiff for regular wear. I guess that's a single pair/style, and I could certainly give them another shot!
Old 01-13-15, 03:16 PM  
TinaT

Gem ~ I've purchased several pairs of Danskos from this site and each pair has been under $50.00 each. Most Danskos or Sanitas can be around or over $100.00. It really adds up in savings over time.

My hubby just got these for me for Christmas: http://www.amazon.com/Sanita-Womens-...sin=B00IWTWG2Q

Tags
arthritis, casual shoes, toes