Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-14, 01:13 PM  
JENILU

I have long darkish brown hair and have a silvery streak in the part.- which is frizzier than the rest, of course. I don't mind it, but I have added in red and blond highlights together (professionally) in the past and it all just blended in and looked really cool (to me and my fiancee anyway). I just have fun with it. I also don't wear much makeup, so that keeps me looking younger than I am.

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-14, 06:22 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Another one here who plans to grey naturally. I've never colored my hair in any way. So like others above have posted - whether I'm too lazy, don't want to start using chemicals, could care less -- whatever -- the grey is coming in and I have no plans to do any coloring. Though I usually now do wear my hair upswept to keep the unruly frizzies somewhat tamed.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-14, 07:52 PM  
BunnyHop

Good styling products will help tame the wayward strands.

I like the George Michael/Madora products for long hair, mostly because they don't seem to build up, and the bottles seem to last a nice long time, so it's a good value for the money.

Years ago, I remember being amazed at the difference the right products and styling routine would make on my hair. Sadly, when I moved, the water quality was totally different and I had to change to something else entirely, sigh. (Along the way I decided to grow out my bangs and then keep gaining length, hung out on some haircare forums and learned to babble about hair all day long, even if nobody wanted to hear what I had to say. )
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-14, 08:30 PM  
firmaniac

...the great part about deciding to 'let go and go grey' is if you hate it you can explore options to change it. I've been 85% silver/white for many many years. The only brunette left is 'underneath" in the back. My parents went totally white in their 20s, so I knew what was coming. (I'm 49 soon). I watched both parents dye their hair almost my entire life, and the results were 'distracting'. Always 'roots'. I decided when the wide white skunk streak appeared in front(Lily Munster) when I was about 25 that I would embrace what came. It was cool & fun for a while, because 'goth' came into style. Only recently, with menopausal changes, am I feeling differently. My hair shaft has shrunk in diameter, and I have to be careful about blow drying - the hair heats quickly. I steer clear of products that have extras - baby shampoo is about as strong as I get when cleansing. I still wear it long (won't give that up!), but I do get startled looks when I'm out. Folks do comment, and I've learned to just let it flow and assume they mean to be kind when they exclaim "but your face looks so young" Ugh I am so glad the OP posted this topic - I've enjoyed reading this thread!

Please visit 'The FIRM Ephemera Scrapbook' on facebook for a visual history of The FIRM
firmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-14, 09:17 PM  
Lauracat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
It seems to me that blonds go gray/silver more beautifully than brunettes.
Not necessarily! My hair was naturally a warm, dark brown and is now short salt-and-pepper. The grey came in as a nice silver and I get compliments on it from random strangers (not to brag or anything ). I agree that it depends on what you're personally most comfortable with.
Lauracat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-14, 07:41 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauracat View Post
Not necessarily! My hair was naturally a warm, dark brown and is now short salt-and-pepper. The grey came in as a nice silver and I get compliments on it from random strangers (not to brag or anything ). I agree that it depends on what you're personally most comfortable with.
This is my experience, too. I was worried because the brother who's just a year younger than I am had black hair in his yoot, and he went a gorgeous silver before he was 35 (just like our father). At 35 I had one grey hair, somewhere, if I looked for it. I was worried that I got the ugly grey hair gene (my mother died before she went grey, and I had her warm, dark brown hair). When I decided to let the grey grow in, I checked, and while my silver isn't as striking as my brother's was (his full head of hair is completely white, now), it is a very pretty, shiny silvery grey.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-14, 08:11 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I started getting gray hair when I was in my early 20's (I'm 48 now) so I've been dealing with it for many years, but didn't start coloring it until a couple of years ago. My natural color now is salt and pepper, but I still have mostly dark hair and I could probably stop coloring it and it wouldn't be a big deal, but the only reason I do is for work. I have a young looking face so the salt and pepper makes me look older. I do think in another 10 years or so I'll probably stop coloring it.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-14, 02:04 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I didn't even realize shag cuts were in again - they're adorable, in the right circumstances. I like this cut, especially if it didn't require a lot of maintenance: http://therighthairstyles.com/10-bes...nannualbrunch/

My hair is a natural dark blonde and is very, very gradually going grayer. Most people don't notice the gray hairs at all but I do (though I don't mind). I'm 53. But my hair's so thick and heavy (and runs toward frizziness) that styling it is a beast. Plus I'm no good at styling hair anyway. But I do like that layered shag look and I'm due for a change. I'll see what my hairstylist thinks.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-14, 02:10 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

For short & gray I don't think anyone can beat Jamie Lee Curtis, though.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-14, 04:20 PM  
buffmama

I stopped coloring my hair about 4 or 5 years ago. When I started covering the grey it was fun and nothing natural looking (I'm dirty blond)-- auburn red, darker brown. I just didn't want to continue spending the time or energy doing it. I figure I prefer bigger muscles to less grey any day.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
going gray, going grey, gray hair, grey hair, hair, off topic