Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-14-13, 07:43 PM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanneM View Post
I've tried this, but the ball doesn't usually stay. I may need to find a better clip.

Does it hold when you do a lot of jumping and plyo moves? That's when my bun really starts slipping out.

This is why I combine methods--the "ball/half-pulled through bun" thing gathers up the hair, but I clamp the remaining loose ends to my head with the Sure Grip Clix. That way neither piece of equipment has too much work to do or weight/bulk to hold, so nothing--absolutely nothing--slips. I used to use a claw clip (any kind) to clip the loose section down, but the Clix clips are more secure, and I like that they fit flat to the head instead of standing out like a claw. (I use two, sort of semi-crossed in back, for extra security, but really, one would probably hold.)

I often wear my hair twisted back with a half-pulled-through-bun for an everyday hairstyle, and I can definitely tell you that while it stays all day (even without heavy styling products) of just ordinary running-around living... there is *no way* it would last through any kind of workout without bouncing out. But with a headband to hold the strands around my face, and the Clix clips to pin the loose end of the ponytail down to the back of my head, my hair does. not. move.
Old 07-15-13, 06:26 AM  
SquishyMommy

Gem,

I will have to check out the Clix. Those sound great!

Like many here, I used to do the half-pull through method, but with my layered hair I would have tons of pieces sticking out and then the rest of it would just eventually slip through. Once my hair gets to a certain length that method just does not work anymore.

Braids are also an issue with my layers. I don't care how it looks, but my hair is so thick I have to layer it heavily to take all the weight off, and the layers make it hard to braid because pieces fall out and the end of the braid ends us being so much thinner than the rest and doesn't hold the elastic well.

So far my Hunnybun has been the best option for my hair. Yes, it makes a rather large bun on my head because I have so much hair, but it tucks all the layers away tightly, and with a couple extra u-pins my Hunnybun stands up to my JNL workouts with no problems at all. The bun is tight enough to hold my hair firmly, but not so tight that it is uncomfortable and gives me a headache.

I used to use jaw clips and such all the time, but I hated when I was doing any work on my back how the clip would poke into the back of my head. I think your Clix clips would do the same job but without the bothersome poking!
Old 07-15-13, 09:08 AM  
LeanneM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
This is why I combine methods--the "ball/half-pulled through bun" thing gathers up the hair, but I clamp the remaining loose ends to my head with the Sure Grip Clix. That way neither piece of equipment has too much work to do or weight/bulk to hold, so nothing--absolutely nothing--slips. I used to use a claw clip (any kind) to clip the loose section down, but the Clix clips are more secure, and I like that they fit flat to the head instead of standing out like a claw. (I use two, sort of semi-crossed in back, for extra security, but really, one would probably hold.)

I often wear my hair twisted back with a half-pulled-through-bun for an everyday hairstyle, and I can definitely tell you that while it stays all day (even without heavy styling products) of just ordinary running-around living... there is *no way* it would last through any kind of workout without bouncing out. But with a headband to hold the strands around my face, and the Clix clips to pin the loose end of the ponytail down to the back of my head, my hair does. not. move.
I ordered those clips on Amazon as soon as you mentioned them, and they should be here by tomorrow. I think that this will work perfectly, so thanks for recommending it!
LeanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-13, 09:09 AM  
LeanneM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyMommy View Post
Gem,

I will have to check out the Clix. Those sound great!

Like many here, I used to do the half-pull through method, but with my layered hair I would have tons of pieces sticking out and then the rest of it would just eventually slip through. Once my hair gets to a certain length that method just does not work anymore.

Braids are also an issue with my layers. I don't care how it looks, but my hair is so thick I have to layer it heavily to take all the weight off, and the layers make it hard to braid because pieces fall out and the end of the braid ends us being so much thinner than the rest and doesn't hold the elastic well.

So far my Hunnybun has been the best option for my hair. Yes, it makes a rather large bun on my head because I have so much hair, but it tucks all the layers away tightly, and with a couple extra u-pins my Hunnybun stands up to my JNL workouts with no problems at all. The bun is tight enough to hold my hair firmly, but not so tight that it is uncomfortable and gives me a headache.

I used to use jaw clips and such all the time, but I hated when I was doing any work on my back how the clip would poke into the back of my head. I think your Clix clips would do the same job but without the bothersome poking!
Jennifer, I've been having issues with trying the braids, too. Today I have Body Fit 260 on tap, and think I'll try my donut bun holder. It's great to hear that it's been working so well for you with all the jumping in the JNL workouts!
LeanneM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hair, hairstyle