Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-12-13, 10:02 AM  
LeanneM

How do you wear your long hair while working out?

Hi, gals!

I've had really short hair (mostly in a pixie cut) my entire adult life, but have spent the last three years growing it out so that it's now almost to my mid-back. When I work out, though, it seems like a ponytail just doesn't cut it!

Since it's been so hot, I've been working out just in a sports bra, and I hate the feel of my hair hitting my sweaty back. I also use a Scrunchie to hold the ponytail in place, but it constantly slips out, and I find that I have to pause my DVD multiple times to re-adjust my hair. When I tried putting it in a bun (which helps when doing workouts where you need to be on your back part of the time), the bun starts falling out within a few minutes of jumping.

Does anyone have any tricks about what you do with your long hair while working out? Do you use any special ponytail holders or clips to keep it in place?

Thanks so much!
LeanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 10:07 AM  
seabliss

You could try braiding it. A braid is easier to keep off your back than a ponytail. It's also easier to anchor up in a bun. My hair is the same length. I do a high ponytail and put one of those metal headbands with the teeth in the front of my hair to keep flyaways off my forehead.
Old 07-12-13, 10:10 AM  
NRGWoman

I have taken to putting mine in a braid almost every day in the summer. A braid down the back is much stiffer than a pony-tail and I have to be really going for it for the braid to become bothersome. If you can learn to French braid your own hair it is really helpful. I have had long hair much of my life and I remember when I was 12 spending an entire afternoon teaching myself how to French braid my own hair. My arms were really tired by the end, but that afternoon of work has paid of my entire life.

Good luck finding a solution that works for you. And if you find something really helpful let us know.

Shayne

Your future isn't written yet, your future is what you make it, so make it a good one. - Dr. Emmett Brown, Back to the Future III

What would happen if everyday I woke up and I did everything in my power to change my life? How would my life be different in a month, a year? - Liz Murray, Homeless to Harvard
NRGWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 10:11 AM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

My hair is mid back, too. I use a metal clip barrette that can hold all of my hair. I then pull my hair back as if I am going to put it in a ponytail. Then I grab the ends of my ponytail and group it up with my ponytail (in essence doubling up my ponytail so that it is much shorter in length and all of the ends are clipped up instead of hanging free). Then I put it all in the clip. It won't look fancy, but it holds my hair in place and keeps it off my neck. Hope that description makes sense. It takes me 2 seconds to do it and is very fuss-free.
Old 07-12-13, 10:12 AM  
BunnyHop

What are you using to hold your updos? Depending on your quantity of hair, you may need to subdivide it and make two or three smaller updos, to distribute the load.

I have quite fine hair, so a single wooden three pronged hair fork works really well for me even at knee length, but hair screws are also quite effective if I work at getting them into position.

Hair clips like the Ficcare Maximas work well, but I find them a bit heavy, and not as comfy as the hair fork for working out.

Most of my workouts these days have been the sort that let me get away with just braiding my hair and slinging it over one shoulder.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 10:21 AM  
Zenara25

I have my little routine which takes a couple minutes but is worth it to me since I can't stand my hair getting in my face.

1. Put my head band over and down onto my neck first.
2. Using a simple elastic band put my hair into a ponytail, but on the last loop I leave my hair halfway through (kind of like a bun).
3. Pull my head band up to secure my hair more around just around my forehead area.
4. I also (overkill maybe) use about 6 little clips an inch or 2 above the headband (from the top of one ear to the other) in case any hair comes out of the partial ponytail.
5. Final step hairspray.

I never have any problems

Link to the head band that I use.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 10:22 AM  
firmaholic

I've always had long hair and for working out, I prefer to have it in a bun. Otherwise both my pony tail and braids seem to get in the way and during cardio it hits my back and it's painful.
firmaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 10:24 AM  
Hazel Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenara25 View Post
I have my little routine which takes a couple minutes but is worth it to me since I can't stand my hair getting in my face.

2. Using a simple elastic band put my hair into a ponytail, but on the last loop I leave my hair halfway through (kind of like a bun).
3. Pull my head band up to secure my hair more around just around my forehead area.
4. I also (overkill maybe) use about 6 little clips an inch or 2 above the headband (from the top of one ear to the other) in case any hair comes out of the partial ponytail.
5. Final step hairspray.

This is what I do, but I use a Bondi Band to keep any little pieces around my face from falling into my face.

I wonder if pigtails might work for you? My hair isn't long enough (yet), but I see a lot of women with longer hair wearing that style at the gym.
Old 07-12-13, 10:24 AM  
LeanneM

Thanks so much, everyone, for all the wonderful tips! I really appreciate them -- and am excited to experiment with all these great suggestions!

seabliss -- Great idea about trying a braid! I've thought about doing this, but am so bad at braiding and wasn't sure if a braid would work with my layers. I'll give it a try!

Shayne -- I love your description of how you learned to French braid! I've actually been meaning to figure it out this summer, and your post has inspired me to spend some time figuring it out. I've watched a few tutorials on You Tube, but just need to practice.

glamgal -- That's a great suggestion! I've tried doubling up my ponytail, but it hasn't worked well with a Scrunchie. Do you use a particular brand of metal clip barrette? I've bought some France Luxe products and think that they make a pony clip like that, so may order it.

BunnyHop -- I love my Ficcare Maximus for buns during the day, but it hasn't worked for me during workouts -- it starts slipping out. The Spin Pins also don't seem to work for me, but maybe I need to try more than two of them. I've also been using a hair fork on a daily basis for buns that I bought from 40th Street, but I've outgrown it, and need to order a longer one. What brand of hair fork do you prefer? Do you wear your hair in a particular style of bun or twist when you work out? Thanks!
Old 07-12-13, 10:27 AM  
LeanneM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenara25 View Post

5. Final step hairspray.

Thanks so much for this info! I will definitely try this out, too! Like you, I hate hair on my face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmaholic View Post
I've always had long hair and for working out, I prefer to have it in a bun. Otherwise both my pony tail and braids seem to get in the way and during cardio it hits my back and it's painful.
I know what you mean -- that slapping of the hair can really hurt! Do you use anything special to hold your bun in place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Porter View Post
This is what I do, but I use a Bondi Band to keep any little pieces around my face from falling into my face.

I wonder if pigtails might work for you? My hair isn't long enough (yet), but I see a lot of women with longer hair wearing that style at the gym.
I use a headband to keep my bangs off my face, and clip back any loose pieces. Oh, that's a great idea about the pigtails!

I feel like I'm going to be a fashionista trying out all these new hair styles! Thanks for the wonderful suggestions!

Tags
hair, hairstyle