Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-13, 11:54 AM  
rosepetals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Gee, I wonder if discovering I had undiagnosed celiac for 25 years and taking the appropriate steps to control it also has something to do with my hair renaissance?
I believe gluten issues are part of my hair and teeth issues.
It feels like I don't absorb nutrition like others do. My labs reflect this.

It's something you should check in to. I read online that if you go gluten free for two weeks the tests for gluten sensitivity won't be accurate as the body starts the healing process rather quickly.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-13, 01:31 PM  
BunnyHop

Don't forget that dandruff/flaking can have any number of causes.

Check the ingredient list for any dandruff shampoo you use.

Zinc, ketoconazole, selenium, salicylic acid, coal tar, etc, all can be useful, but they don't all treat the same issues, so it's important to figure out what's causing your dandruff, so you can target the treatment.

Lately I've been using the prescription strength of Nizoral for a while now, and so far, it's been the most useful for me. (There's been some sort of production shortage for the 1%, non-prescription strength Nizoral, that's been an on and off problem for the last few years. Not sure what's up with that, but it's been frustrating.)
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 04:30 PM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

Has anyone been able to find Nizoral OTC? If I can't find it soon, I will be heading off to my doctor. I would be willing to go through a Canadian store as well.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 09:23 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonH View Post
Has anyone been able to find Nizoral OTC? If I can't find it soon, I will be heading off to my doctor. I would be willing to go through a Canadian store as well.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000Y3CRY

Is this what you are talking about? I used to buy Nizoral shampoo at WalMart, but it's been a few years since I've looked for it there.

ETA: sorry...I was surfing via my phone and didnt see the price of this stuff at Amazon! I just re-read the thread and see where several people have mentioned that the non-prescription strength is in scarce supply.
Old 04-13-13, 10:53 PM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

I think the company just found it was more profitable to not produce the OTC version.

The tea tree shampoo has done a wonderful job in getting the gunk off my scalp but now flakiness is returning since I stopped the Head & Shoulders. Might try rotating Selsun and Tea Tree shampoo. If that does not work, it is off to a dermatologist. I think I have more than dry scalp issues. I associated itchy scalp with dryness but now I am thinking there might be more involved. Sigh! I am rather allergic to doctors and would rather fix things myself, but Google can only solve so much.

You are right, Bunnyhop, different shampoos target different things.
Old 04-14-13, 08:30 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

This might be a little out there, but I've read that henna can help treat dandruff and breakage. I read that here: http://www.hennaforhair.com/health/index.html
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 02:50 PM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

I just got back from the dermatologist. He said I have seborrhea (probably spelling that wrong). He prescribed, if I can read his handwriting, Lidex solution, which I am supposed to put on my scalp. I don't like the fact that it is a steroidal preparation as that can be absorbed through the skin. Since I mentioned it, he also gave me a prescription for Nizoral. I am going to try Nizoral first. However, his assistant said to only use it 2-3 times per week. For those that use Nizoral, what do you use the other days? It doesn't lather, so do you have to use another shampoo anyway? He only gave me a few minutes, so I didn't have time to ask any questions. I thought of most of the questions on the way home anyway. I hope it doesn't strip my hair color. Sigh!
Old 05-09-13, 03:27 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

Sharon -

I use Wen and sometimes lurk on the Wen boards on QVC (checking for deals...that stuff is awesome, but expensive). Lots of women comment on the Tea Tree Wen and how it has helped them tremendously, including some who have been on Nizoral. They comment on how their scalp has improved (no flakes, no itchiness) and their oil is under control. Most of us have much shinier, softer and just plain more hair.

You might want to go there and ask a few questions and see what they recommend. FYI, there are women who post frequently whom I've come to trust and there are also some who are pot stirrers and one time posers who will flame anything. I'm sure some of the regulars will chime in to give their opinion.

Oh, of you use Wen, be sure to follow the directions. It's a bit different from shampoo,and there's a learning curve. Also, if you buy from QVC, you can return after 30 days, although you'll be out the (not inexpensive) shipping. You might want to avoid he TV ads for,it, as I've heard that the Guthy Renker company isn't great about returns and it's hard to,get off auto delivery, even if you never requested it in the first place.

Regardless of what you try, I hope you find a solution!

Pam
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 03:38 PM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

Thank you, Pam. I have been curious about dry shampoos.

Tags
hair, nizoral, shampoo