Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-13, 01:25 PM  
Honeydew

I"d see your doctor, have your iron and thyroid levels checked. I just started using Christophe Robin cleansing hair mask with lemon(www.beautyhabit.com) it's very gentle and amazing! It's expensive though.
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 01:34 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew View Post
I just started using Christophe Robin cleansing hair mask with lemon(www.beautyhabit.com) it's very gentle and amazing! It's expensive though.
This looks and sounds heavenly! I may have to try this soon. I currently use Kerastase Chroma Sensitive cleansing balm followed by Masque Chroma Riche, but you are only supposed to use those every other cleansing. I was using Pureology in between, but ran out a couple of months ago and decided not to repurchase because of all of the sulfates. My hair always *felt* really silky afterward, but I knew it was the sulfates doing that. I haven't found anything else I've wanted to use yet, but I may try this!
Old 04-04-13, 03:32 PM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

I will definitely see a dermatologist if it doesn't clear up soon. I have always bought regular, cheap shampoos like Suave/Dollar Tree brands and I think it has finally caught up with me. Going into menopause, I didn't realize how much it would effect my entire body. I have never had the greatest scalp or hair, but things just tend to get worse as I get older. Before seeing a doctor, I just wanted to try some better quality products to see if it would make a difference.

I will definitely get a sulfate-free shampoo. Someone on Amazon mentioned that Head & Shoulders can be effective in some ways - I don't really have a dandruff issue now - but very harsh in other ways because of the sulfates. I will also look into some kind of scalp treatment.

Please keep the recommendations coming as it is very helpful.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 09:05 PM  
rosepetals

A lack of protein can cause hair breakage or thinning. Anemia too. Hormones can play an issue. You really need to be checked out by a MD to have some labs run.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 10:03 PM  
suegy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosepetals View Post
A lack of protein can cause hair breakage or thinning. Anemia too. Hormones can play an issue. You really need to be checked out by a MD to have some labs run.
I was going to mention the lack of protein but too much protein can have the same drying and breaking effect. I know because it happened to me! I was using a protein product and my hair looked gorgeous the first few times then I noticed a difference. My hair stylist told me to use protein once per month and my hair is finally back to normal. Protein is in so many products and it's really easy to over do it.

I also suggest biotin to strength the hair from the inside out and I suggest trying conditioner only washing. Use a cheapie conditioner to do it and you should notice a difference.

And lastly, I also recommend going to a dr if none of that stuff helps.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 11:08 PM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

Suegy, I have been taking 1000 mcg of biotin. I also take a multi-vitamin with iron, so I do not think I am deficient in those two areas. The only reason I do not go to the doctor first is that I do not have good insurance. I am going to try Trader Joe's natural line of Tea Tree Oil shampoo and hydrating conditioner. Both products have gotten really good reviews on Amazon. If that is still too harsh, then my next move would be to just use the conditioner. I live in Chicago and we have had a long, dry winter which has just compounded matters.

Perhaps I need to add more fish or fish oil capsules into my diet.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 11:22 PM  
Honeydew

Sharon I think it is possible to be deficient even when taking supplements. Have you ever been tested for Celiac? I know a lot of people with it don't absorb the vital nutrients from food so I'd assume that goes the same for a supplement.
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 07:55 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

This is how I fixed my hair and scalp. I switched over to the Sally's version of Moroccan Oil, it's called One 'n Only. I use the sulfate free shampoo and the restorative hair mask. After that, I rub six pumps of Miracle 7 treatment between my palms and run it through my hair, followed by a pump of One 'n Only argan styling cream.

That brand line also has a dry scalp serum. On alternative days, I do not shampoo but use either Hair One, Sally's answer to WEN, or I massage my scalp with the argan oil conditioner to remove excess sweat and styling product and rinse in lukewarm then cool water. Then I again treat with Miracle Seven and styling cream.

I went from damaged, dry, frizzy, breaking hair and flaking scalp to nice healthy, smooth and shiny hair again. What I like about Sally's is most of the products are also available in trial sizes.

Good luck!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 07:57 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew View Post
Sharon I think it is possible to be deficient even when taking supplements. Have you ever been tested for Celiac? I know a lot of people with it don't absorb the vital nutrients from food so I'd assume that goes the same for a supplement.
Gee, I wonder if discovering I had undiagnosed celiac for 25 years and taking the appropriate steps to control it also has something to do with my hair renaissance?
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-13, 11:30 AM  
lesliep

I have had serious scalp issues for years. Dry, flaking, sometimes bleeding. I've seen a dermatologist; I've tried everything under the sun. The only thing that worked for me was Nizoral. There was just a thread about it. It was like a miracle for me. And the best part is that it doesn't smell. I think it's in short supply however and you will need a prescription for it.

Tags
hair, nizoral, shampoo