Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-04-13, 10:23 AM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

Dry Scalp/Breaking Hair

Help! This is not entirely off-topic. I would like to work out intensely every day, but then I would need to wash my hair every day. I no longer want to do that because of all the hair breakage when I wash my hair. My hair stylist told me that my scalp is in very bad condition. My head always itches. I have been using Head & Shoulders 2in1 Dry Scalp Care with almond oil. It has relieved the flaking, but not the horrible itchiness or hair breakage. The strange thing is my hair looks oily/greasy if I go more than two days without washing it, which you would think would be my hair's own defense against dry scalp, but it is not the case. My hair is also very fine. I am 50 and have just entered menopause so that is probably contributing to some of my issues. Can anyone recommend a good product. I was thinking of trying the CLEAR Moisturizing Dry Scalp Nourishing Shampoo but maybe I need to go more expensive.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 10:28 AM  
RachelW

Have you talked to your doctor about it? I think it would be worth it to check with him/her. I hope you find something that helps!
Old 04-04-13, 10:30 AM  
wlorrie

I'm no expert, but I used to have severe flaking and itching of my scalp.I started using Selsin Blue moisturizing shampoo three times a week and taking biotin everyday. It got rid of the itching and flaking and helped my hair to grow nicely.
Lorrie
wlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 11:03 AM  
DI431

If my scalp get itchy I use Carol's daughter Hair oil and massage it in before I shampoo or leave in overnight, I actually use it all over my hair. I use lots of leave in products/masks overnight or rub in a serum pretty much every day when I get home from work. I apply the product and put my hair in a ponytail before I work out. If it is really itchy I use Garnier 2-1 dandruff shampoo. I don't like the Clear products, tried the color treated and one other and didn't care for them, but you might like them. Make sure you are using a good serum/ leave in/heat protector before you heat style and get regular trims, it helps so that your hair is not getting caught or snagged. I have had some tangle issues since it's been cooler but I have been making sure to use a detangler spray after shampoo and work through the tangles with a tangle teezer brush and lots of products before I blow dry and flat iron. Also I use a deeper conditioner a few times a week from the middle of my head down.
DI431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 11:15 AM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw3 View Post
Have you talked to your doctor about it? I think it would be worth it to check with him/her. I hope you find something that helps!
Ditto. It sounds like you may have seborrheic dermatitis and if so there are prescription medications that can be very helpful. Either way, your doctor can help you diagnose the problem so that you get the best treatment.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 12:01 PM  
Lorelai

Most shampoos (Herbal Essences, etc) have a lot of really harsh detergents in them, and IMO, lots of toxic ingredients. Especially if you use them everyday, they strip the natural oils from your hair, and I could see them doing the same to the scalp, which could causing major itching. I know I itch if an area of my skin gets particularly dry.

This reminds me of the natural deodorants thread - there's good info on the Environmental Working Group website. Or the Skin Deep database, which is a subgroup of the EWG, I think. It's a good place to start. This link is to the Head and Shoulders brand, just as an example:

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/brand/Head_%26_Shoulders/

I try to go as natural/organic as possible with my hair care. My hair is really long, to my low back, straight, and kind of medium fine, but thick for its length. It only needs washing every 2-3 days (on the shorter side during the hotter months or a more active day, of course). I get it trimmed about twice a year, and my bangs are trimmed four times a year. I blow dry my hair with heat after each shower, and I always use a straightener to smooth out my bangs, and I often use it on the shorter, front layers. I don't get many split ends (my hair stylist always comments on it), and my hair/scalp are really healthy. I truly believe that cutting out the most harsh, toxic ingredients has made my scalp healthier, and has kept my hair from breaking as badly as it used to.

I don't know if it will work for you, but it's worked for me, and I get positive comments all the time on my hair. It might be worth looking into. I do think less harsh ingredients would would be easier on your scalp if you shower every day. Just be careful - not everything with "natural" on the label is going to be natural, just like with food. It's important to educate yourself a little bit about some commonly listed ingredients and their variations, so you can glance at the label and know right away if a shampoo is going to be better, or more of the same. The sites I listed above are a good jumping off point.

Best of luck to you!

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 12:02 PM  
F1mom

Have you tried a sulfate-free shampoo? It can help with dryness and itchy scalp. Detergent can be very, very drying to skin.l
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 12:14 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

I've been wanting to try this rosemary hair rinse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxy-XPSVPgk

Here's another video I like by the same person (5 steps for healthy, long hair): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iofaysj5PZY
Old 04-04-13, 12:45 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1mom View Post
Have you tried a sulfate-free shampoo? It can help with dryness and itchy scalp. Detergent can be very, very drying to skin.l
I was having some trouble last fall with hair falling out, itchy scalp and just dry, frizzy hair and I received great advice on the Beauty Thread here with some great recommendations. I basically switched to a natural shampoo and condition that was sulfate free, silicone free, etc etc and it made a huge difference with the dry, itchy scalp and frizzy, breaking hair!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 01:19 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Another idea, and this is sometimes hard for people to get used to, is that even though you exercise hard, you don't need to wash your hair every day. A water wash can work very well. Massage your scalp with your finger tips under running water (the shower) and follow up with conditioner. I water wash once or twice a week and my hair actually looks and feels better. Sulfates are harsh and drying.

But I do agree with the other posters who suggest seeing a doctor. Your symptoms sound a little more serious than run of the mill dryness. And if you have curly hair, hop on over to www.naturallycurly.com!

Tags
hair, nizoral, shampoo