Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-30-10, 08:49 PM  
Buzzer

I cheat... I scrunch my hair up to just behind the top of my head, gathering all that I can, then I tie it with a no damage band thingie ( I can lay on the floor for floor work and abs and not have to readjust). That way, after I shower off the sweat (avoiding my hair), I take my hair down and it has some body to it, instead of being stringy and ugly.
I feel I can walk out in public and not have sweaty plastered hair or rubber band marks in my hair.
I HATE hair in my face, so I'm a terminal pull it back-er. I also... confession time... still use headbands to keep my hair away from my face when I wear it down.
I know I look like I'm 13 when I do that, but man, I hate hair too close to my face!!!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 08:54 PM  
LivingStrong

I'm excited to tell you about this - the solution is pre-wrap!

I kept trying to figure out from the stands around here what the female college and high school athletes were using to control their flyaways. I finally had one of them as a patient on her way to a BB camp - and all of a sudden when I saw it up close, it dawned on me - it's pre-wrap - the foamy wrap they put on an ankle prior to taping it! I googled this before posting, and it looks like some entrepreneurs are taking off on the idea:

http://www.pre-wrap.com/

But really, all that's necessary is to go to the sports section of your local store and find athletic tape. Right next to it will be (often) a salmon or green color foamy tape - that's pre-wrap. Cut off a piece, tie the ends in a knot, and your have your perfect headband solution
LivingStrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 09:01 PM  
LivingStrong

two links that show how to use pre-wrap:

http://www.pre-wrap.com/What-is-pre-wrap.html

http://www.pre-wrap.com/using-pre-wrap.html
LivingStrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 10:05 PM  
Just_Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post

Right now, my hair is just shoulder length, but when it is longer, I will sometimes loop the ponytail back through the elastic (sort of like a bun?) which makes it tighter without tightening the elastic, if that makes sense. I usually use clips to keep strays out of my face as well, but another option is the good old-fashioned sweat band! After doing up your pony, you can just put one on (I kind of wear it more like a headband) to catch any strays--it would probably be more gentle on your hair than a clip or barrette.
I could have written this! I pull my hair through to make it like a bun. I just part the pony tail at the base and pull the tail through. I can lie flat on the floor with no problem on the floor. I also use a sweat band for the bangs and because I sweat lot and can't stand it in my eyes!
Just_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 10:19 PM  
tigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Jo View Post
I could have written this! I pull my hair through to make it like a bun. I just part the pony tail at the base and pull the tail through. I can lie flat on the floor with no problem on the floor. I also use a sweat band for the bangs and because I sweat lot and can't stand it in my eyes!
I also do a lovely bun thing (that for some reason we have always called a doodoo roll) and use a scrunchie. It's not pretty, but it keeps my hair off my neck which I like. I would never go out in public with the doodoo roll though! I usually wash my hair afterwards, but if I don't have time, the doodoo roll does add some body to my hair.

If I'm walking outside or going to the gym I just opt for the high ponytail.
tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 10:43 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I have super thick hair and no fly-aways, so a simple covered elastic pony tail works fine for me.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 10:51 PM  
DEEDEE

I use a scrunchy, sometime times I make one braid down the back, sometimes I make two braids.
DEEDEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 03:26 AM  
acescholar

What great suggestions -- thanks so much!

Some of these suggestions I have done in the past and forgot about -- like the braid. I'll definitely try that again. At one point I had too many layers for a braid, but I think I can do it again. The Klutz Book of Braids sounds like a great idea -- and a lot of fun. The various top buns are also great ideas.

I'll also take a look at various scrunchies, Scuni no damage bands, head-bands, sweat-bands, and pre-wrap foam.

I realize there is no perfect solution given that I do this to my hair so often -- and I usually wear it in big clip when I'm not working out. But, these suggestions will surely help "lower the impact"!
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 03:54 AM  
bee1forfitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
My hair is down to my waist now. I just wear a ponytail. But it's never the rubberband kind. Since I only have it on when I work out, I don't think it's doing too much damage.
so is my hair...to my waist, I do what Helen does, or sometimes I put my hair into two ponytails, I'm glad this question was asked, I've always wonder what people with long hair do
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 05:12 AM  
antbuko

I use a scrunchy. It's easy on the hair but it does fall out when I do floor work. I just put it back in when it's time to stand up again.

Tags
hair, long hair