Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-04-21, 06:12 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Sue, for what it's worth, though I love the more intense workouts, I have noticed that I tend to eat less (naturally) on days when I take it easier. It's always easier for me to lose weight if I'm not doing the more intense stuff.
Old 08-05-21, 12:49 PM  
Vantreesta

I've listened to Pahla's podcast but haven't done any of her workouts. Has anyone done her Hot 100 Day Challenge?
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-21, 02:25 PM  
prettyinpink

Okay, I am in the age range she speaks of and could lose a few pounds, so I could buy into this and try the very moderate workouts for 6-8 weeks and see what happens. She has clearly shifted in the past couple of years to low intensity in the videos she makes. I enjoy her for a light cardio day, when I don’t feel like exercising.

But if I just do her workouts for a while, I am concerned I would lose muscle.
When I look at her offerings, they seem to be nearly all light cardio, very very light on the strength. I already don’t do super intense cardio anymore, so I’m wondering, isn’t moderate more a comparison to what you are used to doing?

Some people don’t do enough regular exercise and might need to increase their activity to be moderate. Pahla ran marathons and ultramarathons prior to this, and at least for her channel, did very little in the way of progressive strength workouts. Strength doesn’t seem to be a big goal of hers. So her cardio is a big dial-back for her, but I was frankly never anywhere near her in intensity for cardio or endurance work. I’m wondering if I just did her current workouts and dropped my intensity with weights, all that might happen is that I will lost some strength and muscle, and probably temporarily a few pounds of water weight.

Is anyone following me here? We all look to what worked for someone else, but I don’t think she can prescribe what will work for everyone this age the way that she does.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-21, 02:34 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Hi,
My 2 cents - I think generally exercise does not have much to do w/ weight loss - you can lose weight w/out exercising at all. But I do think that over-exercising (and this is individual - there is no one size fits all) may increase inflammation and stress which could make it more difficult to lose weight. Also, if your exercise increases your appetite that is also another way exercise could cause you to gain weight.

Ultimately, I think it all comes down to d*et, unfortunately, and it is more d*et the older we get.
This is along the same lines as what I’m thinking.

Over-exercising in certain ways can be counterproductive to best health and weight. That doesn’t mean Pahla’s workouts in particular will fit the bill for an individual.

And yes, diet is 90%. I’d say 100%, because people can lose weight with zero exercise. I think the right kind and amount of physical activity makes it easier to eat the right amounts of the right things, and that’s the other 10-20%.

I like Pahla! But I weighed less when I used to work in her level 5 workouts, and more similar workouts for cardio, back when she did levels.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-21, 03:01 PM  
donnamp

Vantreesta - her Hot 100 workouts are definitely a step up from what she is putting out there now - they are quite challenging little workouts! I did a few of them and if you stacked her warm-up and finisher on to them you ended up with a pretty decent sweat in 20 min.

prettyinpink - I that that moderate is very individual and I do believe that Pahla's focus was never really on strength training, she is a self-proclaimed cardio girl and I think strength training is something she does b/c it is good for her but it is not her first love. I can relate to that. What I do like about her strength training for me is that it does seem to be functional - a lot of balance, a lot of core and total body working as a unit. I never really enjoyed strength work that was one body part at a time - like I could never get into a style of workout where I do bi's and tri's one day, shoulders the next, etc.

I do enjoy her stuff but I also do second guess myself as to whether or not they are "enough" and I think Pahla's answer to that may be that it depends on your goals and that sometimes it is our brain telling us something that isn't true.

Ultimately I think we all need to do what we feel comfortable with and to quote another Pahla-ism the only wrong way to exercise is if you get hurt.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-21, 03:04 PM  
donnamp

Another option is to just try it and see how it goes - you can consider it a periodization program where you take it down for several weeks and then if it isn't working for you you can always ramp back up.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-21, 03:17 PM  
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
Okay, I am in the age range she speaks of and could lose a few pounds, so I could buy into this and try the very moderate workouts for 6-8 weeks and see what happens. She has clearly shifted in the past couple of years to low intensity in the videos she makes. I enjoy her for a light cardio day, when I don’t feel like exercising.

But if I just do her workouts for a while, I am concerned I would lose muscle.
When I look at her offerings, they seem to be nearly all light cardio, very very light on the strength. I already don’t do super intense cardio anymore, so I’m wondering, isn’t moderate more a comparison to what you are used to doing?

Some people don’t do enough regular exercise and might need to increase their activity to be moderate. Pahla ran marathons and ultramarathons prior to this, and at least for her channel, did very little in the way of progressive strength workouts. Strength doesn’t seem to be a big goal of hers. So her cardio is a big dial-back for her, but I was frankly never anywhere near her in intensity for cardio or endurance work. I’m wondering if I just did her current workouts and dropped my intensity with weights, all that might happen is that I will lost some strength and muscle, and probably temporarily a few pounds of water weight.

Is anyone following me here? We all look to what worked for someone else, but I don’t think she can prescribe what will work for everyone this age the way that she does.

I agree with you 100%. Don't get me wrong - I love Pahla. I was doing her balance work once a week.

I quit doing her on the daily because my strength was definitely waning.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-21, 03:17 PM  
Vantreesta

Thanks for the feedback, Donna! I will keep it on my radar and hopefully work it in somehow!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-21, 05:00 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I think along the lines of what donnamp said..... Pahla talks about how she doesn't like strength training and has to make herself do it, so..... maybe use her for cardio but do your own strength routines instead. Just a thought.....
Old 08-05-21, 06:45 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

I've read her materials (but don't care for her workouts). I started ensuring I drink enough water (one of her 5 points). I can't get it together to track my calories consistently but I've slightly upped mine (mostly make sure I don't get too low - going to bed hungry I will not lose weight). I'm doing slightly easier workouts (for a few reasons not pahla). I'm now slowing losing weight. so I think there is merit to her process.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appetite, lowering intensity, moderate intensity, over 50, pahla bowers, successful weight loss