Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-13-15, 03:37 PM  
BigBadBetty

I have had good luck with Ecco and Merrell. I can't get Merrell slip ons or boots because the heels are too wide. You may also want to try Mephistos. I find them a little wide (and expensive), but they are soft and supportive.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 04:57 PM  
Jane1721

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
Before I switched to barefoot shoes I liked Clark's. The Privos were OK, but wore out very quickly so I would go with the full-priced Clark's. The extra cost is worth it. I liked Danskos too.
Another Clarks fan. I started wearing them two years ago after dealing with a broken toe and tendonitis on the same foot, and they're all I wear now.
Jane1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 05:05 PM  
Demeris

I like Clarks, but I love Born (can't do the umlaut with my keyboard).
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 05:06 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I'm sorry if I hijack this thread, but..... I have worn Danskos the majority of the time for years now. I love them because not only do they give me a little height, but they look decent but I can still go out and walk for an hour in them if I find the time to do so. But.... lately my ankles are sort of collapsing when I'm in them. I don't think it happens in tennis shoes or boots (about the only other kinds of shoes I wear). I'm wondering if I've lost ankle strength as I've aged and the danskos are just too "loose" to give me enough support. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for my problem, or if anyone else has experienced it. Thanks!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 05:06 PM  
PennyK

Another Clarks fan here, but i really like the look of the Danskos!
PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 06:25 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
... I'm wondering if I've lost ankle strength as I've aged and the danskos are just too "loose" to give me enough support. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for my problem, or if anyone else has experienced it. Thanks!
I gave up wearing clogs some years ago, it just seemed as though I had to work way too hard to walk in them.

I'm thinking I may get a new pair just for standing around in the kitchen, they're great for that.
Old 01-13-15, 06:30 PM  
ADoll

I also have flat feet and so far I'm loving Vionics and Alegria. Alegria can be pricey but I bought two pairs that were on sale in their website. I use them at work (work 12 hour shifts as a nurse).
ADoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 06:31 PM  
dmlarue1

I used to love Danskos but I kept twisting my ankles in them and I have ankle instability and I've sprained them both multiple times. I am too afraid that I would break my ankle in them.
I do lots of balance work for my ankles, but no matter how much ankle work I did, I kept twisting my ankle in them. I think because of their design.
I switched to Clarks and I love them for work. They are supportive enough, comfortable and fashionable enough to wear with dress pants or with jeans. Plus big reduction in twisting my ankle!
Once you figure out your size, amazon has great prices on clarks.
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 06:36 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

I love FitFlops, thanks to Debbie S.! I own several pairs.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 06:58 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
I have some Klogs, which were absolute *lifesavers* when I had a short problem with PF after fibroid surgery (something about having my feet in the stirrups caused some nerve problems with my foot), but find them really heavy and stiff for regular wear. I guess that's a single pair/style, and I could certainly give them another shot!
I also highly recommend the Klogs brand - they are sooooo cushy. My favorite style is the Mission: http://www.zappos.com/klogs-mission-...smooth-leather This style is not too heavy and has a pretty low heel.

Klogs tend to be wide even in the medium width and tend to run big. I usually wear an 8 or 8-1/2 and sometimes wide in most shoes, but I wear an 8 medium in most Klogs.

I also really like Merrell (especially the Encore styles), Dansko, Alegria (especially the Belle style), and Chaco (sandals and shoes).

I buy the majority of my shoes (OK, I'm a shoe addict) from Sierra Trading Post (sign up for their emails), DSW, and 6pm. I never pay full price for my shoes and usually pay around $40 each pair. 6pm sends shoes for free, but you have to pay return costs so try to make sure you know ahead of time what size you wear.

Good luck on finding the best shoe for you!

ETA: oh - and some Keens.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arthritis, casual shoes, toes