VF Supporter

dreadlocks, workouts and sweating

heya
anyone have dreads?

I sweat A LOT when working out
was wondering if this precludes me from getting and maintaining dreads
Old 03-17-11, 03:19 PM  
aunatural

I have dreads Nora and working out and sweating does not keep me from maintaining them. However, I've been growing mine for about 7 years now so they're already established. I think in the beginning you have to be a bit more careful until the hair starts locking but I don't see any reason why you couldn't exercise anyway. I know some people that used a dry shampoo in the early stages to keep the hair clean.

2014 Goal- Be consistent! Embrace yoga!
aunatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 03:25 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunatural View Post
I have dreads Nora and working out and sweating does not keep me from maintaining them. However, I've been growing mine for about 7 years now so they're already established. I think in the beginning you have to be a bit more careful until the hair starts locking but I don't see any reason why you couldn't exercise anyway. I know some people that used a dry shampoo in the early stages to keep the hair clean.
ooooo
dry shampoo
Hadn't thought of that

thank you!!
Old 03-17-11, 05:30 PM  
upperwside

Dry shampoo is amazing.. i wash my fine blond hair once a week than you so much to this stuff. If you have dark hair.. Bumble and Bumble make one for dark hair so your hair will not look matte or powdery.
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 05:38 PM  
marissajd

I do.

Really, it also depends on how you start your locks and your hair texture. My hair is coarse and super/coily, kinky, so if anything, washing and rinsing just caused it to lock faster. I also started w/ Sisterlocks, so my hair was a lot less susceptible to unraveling than it would've been if I'd started with, say, coils.

If you do decide to start locks and your hair is long enough, you can also loosely braid sections of hair and secure the end w/ rubber bands before washing them. It takes a little more time, but it helps keep the hair from unraveling during washing.
marissajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 09:03 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

thank you for the feed back

getting all excited now...
I'll keep you updated
Old 03-20-11, 01:26 AM  
bee1forfitness

I agree with aunatural, I have loc's to my but, had no issues with working out with them..I do wash and condition them once to 2 weeks to keep them fresh and clean I started them palm roll, then went to locking (used tool) now I no longer re-twist or lock them just flat twist the new growth. My lock are very mature (13 years), so no issues with them coming undone, except sometimes the baby loc's might get a little loose.

Sometimes when I workout I have to pile them high on top of my head and secure with several bands so I can do exercises more comfortable, like Planks and Mountain Climbers and KBell swings etc, other than that it's all good
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontViewBarb.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	2933  
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dreadlocks, hair