Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-20, 12:56 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Unhappy Has VF become Abandonware?

The definition of Abandonware:

"Abandonware is a product, typically software, ignored by its owner and manufacturer, and for which no official support is available."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware

I'm paying dues for a site where the Search function barely works and sometimes I can't even post.

VF is more important to me than ever and I feel that it has been abandoned.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-20, 01:43 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

I hope not! VF is so important to me too.

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-20, 01:44 PM  
sherry7899

I messaged Wendy through Facebook. She has not posted in.a long time, so I am not hopeful about hearing back.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-20, 02:17 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
The definition of Abandonware:

"Abandonware is a product, typically software, ignored by its owner and manufacturer, and for which no official support is available."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware

I'm paying dues for a site where the Search function barely works and sometimes I can't even post.

VF is more important to me than ever and I feel that it has been abandoned.
Learn something new on VF nearly everyday.

Wonder if the fix is to transfer to a new software and that's too cumbersome or expensive?

I can't say I see too much of what we're using anywhere else

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-20, 03:04 PM  
antbuko

I don't think it's abandonware. It's largely unmoderated, or perhaps, self-moderated. However, I did see WWWendy respond to a post a month or so ago, and she is still accepting membership fees on behalf of the community, which means the community still exists. I also recall that some older posts were archived fairly recently, so there is some maintenance being done. I am grateful that the community still thrives, although I haven't participated in threads as much as I used to. If I had the choice between the occasional software glitch not being attended to, and the community dissolving altogether, I'd take the glitches. I was a member of another online community years ago, and some new strict rules were implemented, which caused the most active participants to abandon the site. Efforts were made several years later to reboot activity in the forum, but they were never able to recoup those losses. Online communities can die pretty quickly and finally. I'm glad VF is still here.
Old 10-21-20, 03:10 PM  
Messe

The software hasn’t been updated in over 10 years, and the current version of vBulletin is no longer supported by the developers. The Search function doesn’t work. People have trouble posting. Feels a lot like abandonware to me.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-20, 03:24 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
The software hasn’t been updated in over 10 years, and the current version of vBulletin is no longer supported by the developers. The Search function doesn’t work. People have trouble posting. Feels a lot like abandonware to me.
If that's the case, that's no bueno my friends

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-20, 04:08 PM  
antbuko

I wonder why Wendy doesn't upgrade the software. The newer version does not seem to be exorbitantly priced as far as I can tell. Maybe we should petition for an upgrade, We're running version 3.8.3 and the current release is version 5.
Old 10-21-20, 04:29 PM  
rhbrand

If its a money issue I'd donate. I'm sure many VFers would donate to update the software and keep VF going
Old 10-21-20, 04:31 PM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
If its a money issue I'd donate. I'm sure many VFers would donate to update the software and keep VF going
I donated years ago for an upgrade that never happened.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abandonware, forum issues, glitches, internal server error, search malfunction, vf future, vf roost, vf site issues