Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-28-16, 08:34 AM  
Imlosingit!
VF Supporter

Recommendations for Senior Workouts?

Hello all,

I tried chair yoga while on vacation and really liked it! I'm getting older and my body is telling me to slow down. Anyone have any recommendations for workouts geared towards seniors? Liking the look of Susan Tuttle's Breath of Life dvds on Mary's website and about to cave. What's your favorites?

Last edited by Imlosingit!; 03-28-16 at 08:35 AM. Reason: correction
Imlosingit! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-16, 08:53 AM  
dnna

I just posted about Janice Lennard's set of 3 dvd, pilates, yoga and ballet bar. They are beautiful-the set , music -just great.

I will always recommend the Just rights FitPrimes led by Anna Benson.Just Right Flex Posture is on my top ten.Just Right Cardio and Just Right Weights /cardio/yoga. Also Keli Roberts fit Prime Lean/ and the Firm Basics and Prime Powers. excellent workouts without dread or "too much".

also like :
Keeping Fit with Andrea Metcalf-Pilates,strength ,cardio -set of 3 dvd, I think this is on available on 1 disc.
I have been using Firm upper body with Janet Brooks a lot! I stay seated (injury)
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-16, 08:57 AM  
antbuko

There was a recent thread about Mirabai Holland and although I haven't tried her workouts I bookmarked them because I thought they would be excellent if I need to restart again in the future, or if I just want a change of pace.. I also thought they looked good for seniors. I think she has clips on her site, or you might find some clips on Youtube. She does both cardio and strength. They are available on Amazon in either DVD or streaming format.
Old 03-28-16, 09:10 AM  
alisoncooks

YMMV, but I just returned Susan Tuttle's newest Breath of Life Yoga 2. I thought the poses felt awkward and overall poorly cued. (And I was very much looking forward to it.)

Have you tried Jessica Smith's Chair Cardio on youtube? I liked it.

I'm still searching for something that helps with joint mobility, flexibility, strength, and pain-relief. (Though I'm not a "senior", I've been struggling with backaches and body stiffness since a recent knee surgery. I haven't found any exercises I can do yet -- walking can still be painful.)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-16, 09:11 AM  
Demeris

Red face

I love Mirabai Holland, and because of that original thread, I got several of her workouts. I use them when I'm recovering from illness--I had the flu earlier this month and used Mirabai to keep moving as I recovered.

I want to add Sue Grant's Older & Wiser workouts as well as Jane Fonda's newer offerings. I also think Joel Harper has great stuff for seniors.

Teresa Tapp has a number of workouts that would benefit seniors. MORE, MORE 2, Healthy Hormones--don't be put off by that title. I suspect her Senior Fit might be for a senior who's already exercising.

Donna--thank you for the Janice Lennard mention. I will look her up.

As Alison mentioned, YMMV with Susan Tuttle. I tried her Chair workout. Her weird intonations drove me mad. I felt as if she were talking to a group of sweet 3 year olds. And the exercises were often awkward. I resent having spent money on her dvd.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-16, 09:13 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Jane Adams' yoga is delightful - geared to those of us over 40, but you will still feel like you've done something when you finish. I like the Gentle Yoga one the best. http://www.janeadamsyoga.com/the-dvd-s.html. These are also available from Amazon.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-16, 09:23 AM  
BunnyHop

Karen Voight's Ease into Fitness is a good one, lots of variations shown, for every fitness level. (though probably way too easy for some, useful if recovering from injury, IIRC.)
Old 03-28-16, 09:28 AM  
dnna

Mirabai Holland and Jane Adams -I want to second that, love them. also Sue West-although some people did not like her voice,said she talked like a Kindergarten teacher, Since I was a kindergarten teacher, it does not bother me.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-16, 10:37 AM  
nevertoolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Jane Adams' yoga is delightful - geared to those of us over 40, but you will still feel like you've done something when you finish. I like the Gentle Yoga one the best. http://www.janeadamsyoga.com/the-dvd-s.html. These are also available from Amazon.

Carol
Another strong vote for Jane Adams. Just did her Morning Energy workout from Gentle Yoga. It's one of my go-to morning workouts when I'm feeling particularly stiff and sore.
I love Jane's style.

Ann
nevertoolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-16, 10:52 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

There's also Susie Hathaway's weight work: www.SusieHathaway.com.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ilyse baker, mirabai holland, scott cole, senior exercise, senior workout, seniors, sue west, weight watchers