Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-13-15, 12:04 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question Tai Chi?

I've had several people tell me I ought to be doing Tai Chi. I have a lot of Lee Holden's Qi Gong DVDs and while I find them relaxing, they really don't do much for my energy levels. I posted about that a while ago in this thread, "Dear Lee, I have no Qi..."

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=195207

Anyway, if you do Tai Chi regularly, do you feel it helps with stress and energy levels?
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 12:47 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I think it helps with stress and a lot of other things. I also think learning in a class setting is much better than videos. But this is VF so Scott Cole and David Dorian Ross are good. I like Dr. Paul Lam's videos but they are teaching videos rather than doing videos.

There's not much stress relief in trying to do what the instructor is doing and not getting it but that's my problem.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 03:02 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvcritters View Post
I think it helps with stress and a lot of other things. I also think learning in a class setting is much better than videos. But this is VF so Scott Cole and David Dorian Ross are good. I like Dr. Paul Lam's videos but they are teaching videos rather than doing videos.

There's not much stress relief in trying to do what the instructor is doing and not getting it but that's my problem.
For Tai Chi, the way you shift your weight, and the angle of the hand is so important that I echo taking living classes if at all possible. I was able to take a live class and I learned so much. Even just taking a few months of class to get the idea down would work. So much of the essence of Tai Chi would be almost impossible to do via video, is my opinion.
Old 04-13-15, 10:29 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I have never done a Tai Chi video but have taken a short class in person. I have been training in Kung Fu since September and loving it. My Sifu (teacher) does not teach Tai Chi but his teacher does. I really liked his short class and he is coming back on April 25 for World Tai Chi day. Check to see if there are any events in your area and try a class in person.

Keep in mind that Qi Gong is considered energy work. Tai Chi is as well but it is also a martial art. So it might be more of what you are looking for.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
qi gong, scott cole, tai chi