Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-21-14, 11:27 AM  
rosepetals

Help me find Tai Chi Workouts

With all the hoopla about Tai Chi in the headlines lately, I want to try it out. They say it helps to prevent brain shrinking as we age. That is reason enough for me to want to try it out.

Who here does Tai Chi workouts? Do you have an recommends as to your favorite Tai Chi workouts?

If possible I would like the instructor to not have a heavy accents. They are hard for me to understand. thick accents. No insult meant.

Thank you everyone.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-14, 11:52 AM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosepetals View Post
With all the hoopla about Tai Chi in the headlines lately, I want to try it out. They say it helps to prevent brain shrinking as we age. That is reason enough for me to want to try it out.

Who here does Tai Chi workouts? Do you have an recommends as to your favorite Tai Chi workouts?

If possible I would like the instructor to not have a heavy accents. They are hard for me to understand. thick accents. No insult meant.

Thank you everyone.
I'd probably start with Scott Cole. He mirror cues, instructs well, and is quite easy on the eyes!
Old 06-21-14, 11:54 AM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Scott Cole and David Dorian-Ross are good. I like Dr. Paul Lam but he has a very heavy accent. If you search at Amazon you'll find lots of options.
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-14, 05:32 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti S. View Post
I'd probably start with Scott Cole. He mirror cues, instructs well, and is quite easy on the eyes!
I started to do Tai Chi this spring but derailed. Someday!!! Based on my limited experience, though, I'd strongly recommend a beginner choose ONLY instructors who mirror cue. (This requirement will eliminate 95% of the Tai Chi workouts on Amazon.)

One of the reasons I was so easily derailed was that the instructor on my DVD (Claire Hooton) didn't mirror cue. She had demonstrators performing the moves with their backs to the audience, but that wasn't enough for me. IMHO, in something so form-specific as Tai Chi, mirror cueing is essential!
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-14, 05:47 PM  
andtckrtoo

I know this is a cop out, but if you really want to learn Tai Chi, I would go with an instructor. There is so much to each move - how you shift your weight, how you balance your foot, move your arm, etc, that I don't think a DVD can give you really good instruction. But instructors are plentiful where I live - which is probably not true in most areas.

Tai Chi is a martial art, as much as Tae Kwon Do, or Muay Thai, but instead of being about contact, it's about yielding or "sticking" to an attack so you block it, not with force, but by not being where you are expected. I watch my Tai Chi master spar with a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and it's was absolutely fascinating the way he seemed to melt away from the force. Each move of the forms - long and short - are designed to help you do just that. There is definitely a meditative aspect and as balance is so important, it will help with that. Even videos will.
Old 06-21-14, 06:27 PM  
rosepetals

I wish I could go to classes. They would be cost prohibitive and it's hard for me to get out of the house. When I workout, it has to be at home due to health issues.

But I love all the ideas of different DVDs.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-14, 07:11 PM  
loverly7

I know it isn't what you asked for, but have you considered Lee Holden Qi Gong? He has many excellent DVDs available. I think Tai Chi and Qi Gong are similar in many ways, but I strongly prefer Qi Gong. Something for you to consider.
loverly7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
david dorian-ross, scott cole, tai chi