Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-12, 04:32 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

I just did Stretch 2: Shoulders, Upper Body and Hamstrings after my TA session and it is WONDERFUL This workout thoroughly stretches the shoulders (right into the upper back) and hips (including the glutes). This is really an active stretching workout and you work hard into many of the positions so it does not always feel great while you are doing it but it feels heavenly afterwards!

I can't wait for others to get their DVDs and chime in with their impressions
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 04:35 PM  
kitty12

Thanks for the breakdown!! I ordered these as my first try with Essentrics and have not had any Classical Stretch DVDs. I have a ton of barre DVDs - how do these compare in general to barre? I get the impression from reading various posts that they are more of a flexibility workout, and not as much for toning as barre? Is that a correct impression? Not saying there isn't some toning/strength to them, but I wouldn't get the same level of workout from that perspective as I would from barre. Is that correct? I haven't received my DVDs yet.

Regardless, they look very good and your break down is awesome!
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 06:22 PM  
sunday

Mine are on their way. Thanks for your thoughts, Fuzzie!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 06:24 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty12 View Post
Thanks for the breakdown!! I ordered these as my first try with Essentrics and have not had any Classical Stretch DVDs. I have a ton of barre DVDs - how do these compare in general to barre? I get the impression from reading various posts that they are more of a flexibility workout, and not as much for toning as barre? Is that a correct impression? Not saying there isn't some toning/strength to them, but I wouldn't get the same level of workout from that perspective as I would from barre. Is that correct? I haven't received my DVDs yet.

Regardless, they look very good and your break down is awesome!
I would agree with that plus they are extremely beneficial for posture!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 06:39 PM  
cristinalatina

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
Cristina - Most of the side lunges are done in a turned out position, and in some instances you actually move from a second position plié into the side lunge so the position of your feet and knees does not change. One reason why your knees might hurt is if you force your turnout (i.e., turning from the feet or knees instead of your hips). Try this: stand in second position parallel with your legs straight; place your weight in your heels and slightly lift your toes off the floor; rotate your legs from the hips into a turned out position, then place your toes on the floor - this is your natural turnout and when you bend your legs into a plié or side lunge, the knee should track directly in line with that angle. Does that make sense?
Yes fuzzie, it does! I will try your suggestion. I find that I lose my alignment because of that "bending forward" that you do with your arm outstretched. But you are right in the sense that if moving like this makes you lose your balance, the turnout is probably exaggerated. Thank you for the tip!

I also agree with Gina about CS helping very much with posture!
Old 05-25-12, 06:58 PM  
A-Bot
VF Supporter

The stretch one sounds great - I really like that they are shorter workouts, under 30 minutes so they could be done as an extended stretch after a workout on days when I have time. Do you think these are a good place for someone to start if they have no Classical Stretch experience?
Old 05-25-12, 08:06 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
I think it will be perfect after a long work day for those who sit at the computer a lot (me!)
Me too! I ordered just this DVD (not the Class of 2012) because I thought I would use the 25-minute workouts more often.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 08:12 PM  
Donna D

Received a shipping notification today.
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 09:14 PM  
kitty12

Thanks Lucky Star!
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-12, 07:31 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty12 View Post
I have a ton of barre DVDs - how do these compare in general to barre? I get the impression from reading various posts that they are more of a flexibility workout, and not as much for toning as barre? Is that a correct impression? Not saying there isn't some toning/strength to them, but I wouldn't get the same level of workout from that perspective as I would from barre. Is that correct? I haven't received my DVDs yet.
Some of the workouts - like FWFA and the two "stretch" workouts in the new series - are definitely flexibility-oriented and focus on increased mobility, reduced pain, and improved posture.

However, I truly believe that there is a strong "toning" (muscle endurance) component to Essentrics - just try an arm segment or a side series and you will definitely feel your muscles working. However, the toning and stretching are more integrated in Essentrics so that you are toning and stretching at the same time. This is similar to pilates, yoga, TA, Ellen, etc. In contrast, in barre workouts you work the muscles in a focused manner and then stretch "to elongate the muscles". For me, Essentrics is definitely gentler than barre but I am always surprised how hard it makes me work...

I hope you will love it!
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
essentrics, essentrics class of 2012, it band, sahra, sahra esmonde-white, strength in motion, stretch in motion