Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-12, 01:00 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

This guy thinks foam-rolling is not good for ITB issues...

He seems to be down on foam-rolling in general, but mostly for ITB issues.

"Stop foam rolling your IT Band. It can not lengthen and it is NOT tight."

http://thebodymechanic.ca/2012/03/17...-is-not-tight/

When my IT band is bothering me, foam-rolling fixes it right away. The foam roller has been good for several issues I've had over the years.
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 01:28 PM  
hotncmom

Maybe he is right, but there are muscles attached to the IT band, when the muscles are tight it pulls on the IT band causing discomfort, even in the knee. Gluteus maximus, gluteus medius, and tensor fasciae latae are all connected to the IT band. So I think the relief comes from rolling to relax the attached muscles, which loosens up the pulling on the IT band.

(Disclaimer: I haven't read the article, just a quick opinion on foam rolling benefits from my own experience and knowledge.)
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 01:44 PM  
EnglishIvy

"-Last, no real research on any of the beliefs about foam rolling. I recognize that a lack of research is not proof but you would think something would come along by now.
-Super last, I am open to being convinced that it is worthwhile. Perhaps, rolling your IT Band has some other benefit
."

This guy misses the point completely. He's essentially writing about a topic which he clearly has not bothered to research to any decent degree. He does a great disservice to his "clients".

Plenty of research exists on trigger points/adhesions. He can read through Simon and Travell's (prolific) work for a start. Trigger points are easily demonstrated on cadavers/in microscopic tissue sampling. They can be palpated directly on patients and show set and well established pain patterns. Whether you are using a foam roller, tennis ball, needle etc, trigger point treatment delivers great benefits in terms of pain reduction and normalization of muscle function. That's why these techniques work when simple stretching is not enough.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 02:56 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Alta, what a beautiful picture!

The foam roller really helps with my ITB issues, too, so I personally would take this article with a grain of salt.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 03:01 PM  
andtckrtoo

Alta - I agree - you are stunning!

I'm pretty sure I can't stretch my nerve endings either, but if I feel sciatic nerve pain coming on, a quick roll with the foam roller eases things right up. I have not had a sciatic nerve episode in 2 years *knocks on wood* and I attribute it to foam rolling and stretching right. Especially now, with my bad knee (something entirely) and the inability to get into pigeon pose, etc, the foam roller is saving my back and hips.
Old 04-08-12, 03:27 PM  
Susan G.
VF Supporter

I saw the ballet film "The Company" recently. There was at least one scene where the dancer was holding a foam roller. Professional ballerinas are so attuned, I will trust they know what is good for them.
Susan G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 03:33 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks for the compliments!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 06:41 PM  
Kyra

This is not the first I've heard of this; in fact I've posted as much here before (can't recall the thread). I heard it on an audio podcast from Perform Better; can't recall who was doing the taking but it might have even been Grey Cook. It surprised me at the time as I'd recently done PT for my ITB and was prescribed foam rolling.

Now, I LIKE foam rolling; I'm not entirely convinced it does what people seem to think it does but it feels pretty good (especially when I stop) and doesn't seem to hurt anything. Anyway, this guy is not alone in saying foam rolling does NOTHING for the ITB.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 07:05 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Several programs, (Turbulence Training for one) are starting their workouts with a warm up that includes foam rolling.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 08:44 PM  
tigger

At instructor / personal trainer training for the Trigger Point Therapy (http://www.tptherapy.com/) program (which includes rolling most areas of the body), they stressed to never roll the IT band.
tigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foam roller, foam rolling, foam-rolling, it band, it band syndrome, itb, itb syndrome