Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-11, 07:44 AM  
Inchworm

What is this? The area where your leg inserts into pelvis in front feels like...

it is not in alignment or like a ligament is stretched out and it feels awkward? I get this from time to time and ironically, sometimes after I've done a workout with wide plie's or the "pretzel move". Not sure what it is and don't really know how to look it up, but it is such a strange feeling.

Does anyone else ever experience this and if so, what do you do?
I actually have to waitress tonight and I'd love to be feeling better so I am not limping or walking awkwardly.

I keep trying to rotate my leg around to either work it in or out.

Thanks,

Kelly
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 09:55 AM  
Inchworm

Okay, I found something online where I can describe it better. It seems my femoral head where it meets with the Acetabelum gets out of joint or maybe there is inflammation there. Is it like an impingement? If anyone has had anything like this, could stress be a factor? Are there any exercises or stretches that are particularly helpful?

Thanks,
Kelly
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 10:31 AM  
penl

You may want to look up a labral tear of the hip. I went to a sports Dr. with a pain and "clicking" in my left hip and after a MRI where the dye is injected that was my diagnosis.
penl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 10:40 AM  
Sophie

well, you probably already know that the answer is to see a doctor or physio, preferably a doctor who can refer you to a physio.
In the meantime I'll share that this is something my daughter gets frequently, and has to keep it in check with frequent foam rolling, IT band stretches, and some strengthening/realignment exercises assigned by her physio. In her case, a tight IT band snaps back and forth across the trochanter, but she feels it in the hip flexor area, and describes it as feeling like her "hip popped" and can sometimes get it back "in place" herself (a true dislocation is highly unlikely, and traumatic, as in a car accident or *severe* impact). But that's a short term fix - to stay better, she has to keep on top of her exercises.

But yours might have an entirely different origin, so it will still be important to be assessed and given specific exercises.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 11:14 AM  
Shelbyfit

Every now and then, I experience a tension in my groin/hip flexor area that requires me to stretch one leg out further so I'm in a straddle pose until the hip "clicks" back into place. It can be painful for a few seconds, but once in place, everything feels aligned and good again.

Does that sound like what you're describing?
Shelbyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 12:37 PM  
Kyra

I agree with Sophie. I had pain in that area that was ITB related. My sister, OTOH, had pain in that area which actually a hip fracture plus osteitis.

Do yourself a favor and get it checked out if it persists. In the mean time, stop doing plies, pretzels, and anything else that aggravates it!

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-11, 10:55 AM  
mghorton

I'm so glad you posted this. Every so often, it feels like my hip literally pops out of the joint. I don't know a better way to describe it. The sensation is definitely in the front of the joint, and it feels like a quick pop out and back in again.

Very painful.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.
mghorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-11, 11:16 AM  
Fidget Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by penl View Post
You may want to look up a labral tear of the hip. I went to a sports Dr. with a pain and "clicking" in my left hip and after a MRI where the dye is injected that was my diagnosis.
I had what they thought was the same tear, but it ended up being that the ligament (or tendon? - I can't believe I don't remember) was covered in scar tissue from a previous injury. It doesn't flare up all of the time, but watch out when it does! My psoas is also covered in scar tissue. Amazing how that prevents mobility causes tremendous pain.
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-11, 11:17 AM  
Fidget Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
well, you probably already know that the answer is to see a doctor or physio, preferably a doctor who can refer you to a physio.
In the meantime I'll share that this is something my daughter gets frequently, and has to keep it in check with frequent foam rolling, IT band stretches, and some strengthening/realignment exercises assigned by her physio. In her case, a tight IT band snaps back and forth across the trochanter, but she feels it in the hip flexor area, and describes it as feeling like her "hip popped" and can sometimes get it back "in place" herself (a true dislocation is highly unlikely, and traumatic, as in a car accident or *severe* impact). But that's a short term fix - to stay better, she has to keep on top of her exercises.

But yours might have an entirely different origin, so it will still be important to be assessed and given specific exercises.
Thanks for sharing that! I often wonder if my injuries caused problems with the IT Band because of lack of mobility and tightness or if my tight IT Band made me more susceptible to injury. My chiro thinks my tight IT Band definitely makes my SI Joint problem worse.
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hip flexor, hip pain, hips, it band