Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-11, 03:03 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
Update - just tried it with the strp wrapping suggestion and the stretch was much more comfortabe and I could take the leg quite a bit further without pain.
Awesome!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 03:06 PM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I struggle with IT band and piriformis tightness, especially on my right side, probably from years of running and aerobics. I always use a strap to do reclined leg stretches. Here is a technique my yoga teacher showed me. Put the strap on the ball or arch of your foot, take both ends of the strap and wrap them around toward the inside of your calf, then around the back of your calf to the outside of your knee and then take both ends together in your opposite hand - hope that makes sense. Then slowly bring the leg across your body. The strap will encourage your leg to rotate internally (as fuzzie suggested). You can keep your knee soft and take your time, it's intense. Just go to the point of feeling the stretch - which may not be very far at first - not to the point of pain.
Pam, thanks for posting these instructions, I'm going to try wrapping my strap like you described, very cool!

Danielle
Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 04:53 PM  
in paris

Ooooh! May I barge in with a question, please?

I am über flexible in almost every way, but there is one thing that eludes me: the splits.

I was able to do them as a teen (I needed to for a dance performance) but I remember it was an endless slog to get to that point... Many moons (decades) have passed and that is one stretch I never really kept up...

When I try it now, I have pain in the inner knee. I am wondering if there is anything I can do to position myself so as to ease the pressure. I really would like to stretch this, slowly, but right not I'm stymied as I know not to push it.

Note: I am *very* hyper-extended and knock-kneed to give you an idea of my natural stance.

Thank you in advance!

And, again, apologies for barging in on the thread but I can't resist not trying to take advantage of the expertise of these wonderful women.
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 06:26 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Never having done the splits, I don't have any advice to offer.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 06:31 PM  
in paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Never having done the splits, I don't have any advice to offer.
Thank you, anyways.

I'm actually not trying to do the splits, I merely want to deepen a straddle stretch

I obviously have an imbalance and am trying to figure out where the weakness is to avoid injuring myself... It's a little disconcerting to be able to do very little without pain in this position...

ETA: I was reminded of a dvd I have that might be helpful... The guy is double-jointed as well... Off to dust it off: http://worshipsteps.com/reach.htm
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-11, 08:37 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I'd try doing foam rolling (or using a Tiger tail or Stick roller) for the IT band before doing the stretch to see if that helps (warning: the IT band can be VERY tender when doing this rolling, so perhaps the Stick or Tiger tail would be better, as it's easier to control the pressure).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
it band, reclined leg stretches, stretching