Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-11, 11:17 AM  
Sara1000

Question for stretch experts!

Doing the stretch where you lie on your back and stretch your hamstring by raising one straight leg and pulling it towards you, then take it over toward the opposite side - I get an agonizing pain behind my knee even if I take it over in that diraection a tiny bit.

Otherwise I'm pretty limber and flexible.

What's going on with this? I've seen this stretch in several workouts including yoga and they never mention any likely pain or limitation.

I can take the leg out away from my body with no trouble.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 11:53 AM  
slysam

I think they have a variation of that one in the "Strong Knees" dvd (which I love for the lower body stretch sequence), in strong knees they do that with a yoga strap or I sometimes use a stretch band just because it is handy so you arenot holding your leg tightly. That might give you a little more ease--it helps me even though I am usually limber. Sometimes I get tight in hamstrings, hips or hip flexers.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 12:22 PM  
Sara1000

Thanks slysam. Actually I usually use a strap for this, but it doesn't help the pain. It just surprises me that this is so painful even when going a tiny bit in that direction.

Makes me wonder if I have some weakness or problem I wasn't aware of.
Old 04-28-11, 12:25 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

This stretches the IT band and it can feel uncomfortable so take it easy and work into it progressively. I like the variation in Essentrics where you internally rotate the leg at the hip before moving into the stretch.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 01:14 PM  
Sara1000

IT band. Hmm. . . I have had some problems with that all right. Thanks.
Old 04-28-11, 01:22 PM  
mspina

Yes, that position is most definitely stretching the IT band, so if you know you've had issues with it in the past, there you go! I would suggest just going really slowly and easing into the move, even if you are just moving your leg VERY slightly. Or try the rotation as someone suggested for a while. Hopefully over time you will see some progress.

Is it both sides that cause the pain? Or just one? If both, I'd almost think it's just the way you are put together!

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 02:03 PM  
Sara1000

It bothers both sides but one is worse than the other.
Old 04-28-11, 02:43 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I struggle with IT band and piriformis tightness, especially on my right side, probably from years of running and aerobics. I always use a strap to do reclined leg stretches. Here is a technique my yoga teacher showed me. Put the strap on the ball or arch of your foot, take both ends of the strap and wrap them around toward the inside of your calf, then around the back of your calf to the outside of your knee and then take both ends together in your opposite hand - hope that makes sense. Then slowly bring the leg across your body. The strap will encourage your leg to rotate internally (as fuzzie suggested). You can keep your knee soft and take your time, it's intense. Just go to the point of feeling the stretch - which may not be very far at first - not to the point of pain.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 02:52 PM  
Sara1000

Thanks all - I now plan to incorporate this stretch into all my stretch routines as I hope it will improve my chronic hip challenges. Yea!
Old 04-28-11, 03:01 PM  
Sara1000

Update - just tried it with the strp wrapping suggestion and the stretch was much more comfortabe and I could take the leg quite a bit further without pain.

Tags
it band, reclined leg stretches, stretching