Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-11, 10:21 PM  
Kimberly33

Others have already made the suggestions I would re: foam roller. I think you've mentioned finding foam rollers really painful before, I second the Yamun ball suggestion if so (I think Fitball sold some massage balls, too--much gentler!). Rolling the outer quads seem to make a difference for me, too. But, intense!

I think you have the JB Berns Freedom Restoration? The B program of the knee/hip routine is more hips than knee, but has clams and other things that seem to help my ITB.

If you have an Iphone/Ipod Touch/IPad, Egoscue has a Pain Free application that lists his exercises. I think it was free. It might not help, but it shouldn't hurt.

I hope you find something that works!

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 11:46 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I have tight IT bands and tight quads and I don't run either. Last year I was having terrible low back/SI joint pain and was told I had these imbalances. That was when I had to quit stepping

BUT--foam rolling, excruciating though it was, helped enormously. I was told to roll from the upper iliac crest--high up on the hip--down to my knee.

Rolling helped the pain so much. There are tons of YouTube instructionals. If it hurts too much, try the soft balls.

Maybe this is one area where no pain, no gain really does apply!

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 10:19 AM  
Lurdes
VF Supporter

Another rave for foam rolling. I'm a pretty serious runner (20-30 miles per week) and last year my I developed IB problems that gave me terrible knee pain. I tried everything, but one day I went to a running store and they suggested the foam roller. TWO DAYS later the pain was gone and I could run again. It was like a miracle! At first the exercises hurt a lot, but they're supposed to, and you'll gradually find them less and less uncomfortable. Now I can roll on my side with both legs stacked and I hardly feel any discomfort. As was mentioned upthread, the youtube videos are really helpful.

Lurdes
Lurdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 12:11 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks all! It looks like I might re-acquire Strong Knees.

I have several foam rollers and a Tiger Tail. Plus, this Trigger Point Kit I got at a fitness convention years ago. It has a good DVD with a long segment on the thighs and ITB. I haven't used it yet, but will give it a try.

http://store.tptherapy.com/Hip_and_L...pt-kit-hpr.htm

I did NOT pay anything near that much money for the kit!

Also, there is a free PDF e-book by Mike Robertson with lots of exercises:

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/...SMR-manual.pdf

How may times per day/week should one do foam rollering?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 09:20 AM  
Kyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
How may times per day/week should one do foam rollering?
I was told I could foam as often as I could stand to do it. Trust me, that was not more than once a day.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 09:39 AM  
cathgpo
VF Supporter

Alta, since it already is tight, you might want to start with the Tiger Tail, and as it gets looser, try the foam roller. The foam roller will be excruciating at first. The Tiger Tail can be adjusted based on how hard you push. Sometimes when I really have something tight, I take the Tiger Tail to work so I can roll it out a couple times during the day. If it's still tight that evening, then I'll pull out the foam roller.

cathgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 11:26 AM  
Kyra

^^ That's a good plan. At the time I was still a stranger to the Tiger Tail (have one now) so that wasn't an option.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-11, 07:13 PM  
Sunrise
VF Supporter

I am so, so glad I stumbled upon this thread! I've been struggling with my IT band in my right leg for over a year now, stretching out my hips and hamstrings regularly but I have had a constant ache in my knee. I was up to running 20 miles a week and had to stop - I even went to my doctor and he didn't really have any suggestions except stretching and ibuprofen.

I went out and bought a foam roller this week and within two days my pain is gone. It hurts like crazy to roll but it worked! Thank you so much for this thread!
Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-11, 09:47 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmrclvlnd View Post
I am so, so glad I stumbled upon this thread! I've been struggling with my IT band in my right leg for over a year now, stretching out my hips and hamstrings regularly but I have had a constant ache in my knee. I was up to running 20 miles a week and had to stop - I even went to my doctor and he didn't really have any suggestions except stretching and ibuprofen.

I went out and bought a foam roller this week and within two days my pain is gone. It hurts like crazy to roll but it worked! Thank you so much for this thread!
Yay, I'm glad the foam roller helped you! I have to do it every day or I get that snapping sound again.
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clam, foam roller, iliotibila band syndrome, it band, it band injury, it band syndrome, mike robertson, trigger points, yamuna