Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-12-22, 01:29 PM  
warriorprincess

Walking the parks

Yesterday I walked a couple of miles in one of our state parks with a meetup group that I belong to. It's the third one I've done this year with this group, which walks both state and national parks in mid-morning, so most of the members are retired. I'm often chatting with new people, and I'm not very outgoing! Anyway, I wanted to share the experience and urge you to see if there's one in your area, or start one in your area. It's really a nice reason to get out into nature and get some exercise.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-22, 04:02 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Nancy - I just joined a MeetUp group for the first time. The first meetup I attended was a walk in a really nice local park. They do other things, too.

There aren't any dedicated "walking" groups here. There is a hiking group, but they do advanced, strenuous hikes.

I don't have the gumption at this point to start a group. Just joining a group is a big step for introvert me!

I'm glad I joined though.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-22, 05:05 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I'm new to meetup and went on my first hike about six weeks ago! It is also a group of retired women and it was very enjoyable for me! I didn't know about "meetup" until I did a google search for hiking groups in my area. I'm enjoying the social aspect and also driving to different places in and around my state. It was about time this introvert got out of the house! We meet twice a week and I can't believe how full my calendar has been with so much activity! The weather is just perfect right now, too!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-22, 08:14 PM  
Hsim

I belong to a meetup group that does hiking and some other activities in Sonoma County. The group is for seniors and most of the members are retired. I usually go once a week but there is plenty of opportunity to go on hikes. I have met a lot of nice people since I joined this group and look forward to going more frequently once I stop working.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-22, 03:46 PM  
Sollamyn

I've tried to find meetup groups in my rural area but they are either non-existent or they are created by people who are looking for clients--like life coaches, sales people, etc.

I just want to make friends and have some interesting conversations and fun times. The closest active groups that sound interesting to me are at least an hour and half drive from me.

I have got to find a way to make friends. I'm getting so bored!

Donna
Old 05-14-22, 08:28 AM  
star117

At our hospital, there is a walk path and there was a sign advertising a weekly walk group. Do you have something like that nearby?
star117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-22, 09:15 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
I've tried to find meetup groups in my rural area but they are either non-existent or they are created by people who are looking for clients--like life coaches, sales people, etc.

Donna
Maybe you can try asking at a local REI or other hiking retail store? Are there any conservation areas near you, that you could get involved with....trail maintenance, clean-up, etc. How about a nature preserve or Audubon society?

Would you be up for venturing out on your own to maybe meet someone on the trail while you're hiking? You can do a search on www.alltrails.com to see what is reviewed well. Do you have a dog that you can walk? Or any neighbors nearby that would have the same interest as you?

Does your local library have a bulletin board? Maybe you can post something there? Or at natural foods grocery store?

Have you ever been to Giant City State Park or another in the South part of the state?

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-22, 06:28 PM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
Maybe you can try asking at a local REI or other hiking retail store? Are there any conservation areas near you, that you could get involved with....trail maintenance, clean-up, etc. How about a nature preserve or Audubon society?

Would you be up for venturing out on your own to maybe meet someone on the trail while you're hiking? You can do a search on www.alltrails.com to see what is reviewed well. Do you have a dog that you can walk? Or any neighbors nearby that would have the same interest as you?

Does your local library have a bulletin board? Maybe you can post something there? Or at natural foods grocery store?

Have you ever been to Giant City State Park or another in the South part of the state?
We have a national forest near me (Shawnee) and, yes, Giant City is close by and I have been there many times, although not much lately, as I don't like to walk trails by myself and I don't have a dog.

I am going to check out some other resources besides meetup. I think there might be some hiking groups I can find through Facebook. I'd be uncomfortable posting on store bulletin boards, but there is a small local outdoor sports store where I might check in to, to see if there are any groups advertised there.

I don't know. I will think about it and explore my options. I happen to have more time on my hands these days for doing that sort of thing.

Thanks for all your ideas and encouragement, Pam!

Donna

Tags
meetup, outdoor walking, walking groups