Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-15, 01:40 PM  
Sinclair

Need advice - how heavy can I go at home?

Hello everybody

I have a question (obviously) - I promise I'll try to keep the rambling to a minimum.
So the thing is, I've been thinking about lifting heavier. Now, I do have a set of adjustable dumbbells to get me started (about 10lbs-20lbs) but I want to invest in a barbell.

I know I won't be able to go badass heavy at home - and that's not my goal anyways since I'm planning on eventually transitioning to calisthenics with just a little bit of weights (I know I could just start with those right away but I really want to try lifting heavy, and since I already have some plates the expense isn't that great anyway).

My question is this: How heavy can I plan to go without owning a squat rack and the like (just don't have the space, or funds). I have to build strength gradually I know that, I'd just like to know about how much weight we're talking here. 50lbs? 100lbs? 120lbs?
I won't try to bench press very heavy since I don't have a spotter or rack, I'll trust into push-up progressions once I reach a certain point. But how much can I savely squat, deadlift, press without having to adjust the weight with the help of a rack?

I know I could just join a gym - but I don't want to.

TIA
Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-15, 02:38 PM  
horusosiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
Hello everybody

I have a question (obviously) - I promise I'll try to keep the rambling to a minimum.
So the thing is, I've been thinking about lifting heavier. Now, I do have a set of adjustable dumbbells to get me started (about 10lbs-20lbs) but I want to invest in a barbell.

I know I won't be able to go badass heavy at home - and that's not my goal anyways since I'm planning on eventually transitioning to calisthenics with just a little bit of weights (I know I could just start with those right away but I really want to try lifting heavy, and since I already have some plates the expense isn't that great anyway).

My question is this: How heavy can I plan to go without owning a squat rack and the like (just don't have the space, or funds). I have to build strength gradually I know that, I'd just like to know about how much weight we're talking here. 50lbs? 100lbs? 120lbs?
I won't try to bench press very heavy since I don't have a spotter or rack, I'll trust into push-up progressions once I reach a certain point. But how much can I savely squat, deadlift, press without having to adjust the weight with the help of a rack?

I know I could just join a gym - but I don't want to.

TIA
How heavy you can go without a spotter or rack is very individual depending on your present level of strength, the exactness of your form and technique and your weight lifting comfort level. Light, heavy and moderate weights are all relative to the individual's strength, fitness level etc. I can safely lift at home weights that others may need a rack or spotter for.

I think your best option is for you to experiment with your barbell set at varying weights to determine how much you can safely and comfortably lift with your barbell at home.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-15, 02:39 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I used to lift heavy and I have a squat rack at home, so I can offer some advice from my experiences:
Deadlift - you can train as heavy as you want at home, because you are just picking up from the floor
Press (Overhead) - I found that I trained between 45-65 pounds; I ended my heavy strength phase before I could go any heavier. If you don't have a squat rack, you'll have to 'power clean' the rack to your shoulders. To do a power clean was easier than a press for me, so I had no problem cleaning a bar of 45-65 pounds eventually
Squat - depends if you are training front or back squat ...
Front Squat is safer in my opinion. Without a rack, you'll have the same issue as the press - you'll have to get the bar on your shoulders using the power clean move. So you'll be limited as to how heavy you can clean. But at least if it is too heavy for you, you'll topple forward which isn't as unsafe as a back squat. I'm getting back into heavy lifting and am considering using a heavy kettlebell for goblet squats instead.
Back Squat - I would do my heavy back squats at a gym, and I'm glad I did. My heaviest was about 135 pounds. I "lost" it once, toppled forward with the bar on my back. Luckily I was using the bar supports at the rack which caught the bar and I was able to crawl out from under the bar, totally uninjured. Because of that I will never do heavy back squats at home by myself. Heavy = greater than 45 # for me. If for some reason you want to try them at home without a squat rack, you'll be limited by how much you can clean and then press to get the bar on your back.
Bench Press - for the same reasons as the back squat, I would never do a barbell bench press at home alone. I have done one-arm presses with a dumbbell; I felt comfortable up to a 25# dumbbell.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have more questions.
-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-15, 03:20 PM  
Sinclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
I used to lift heavy and I have a squat rack at home, so I can offer some advice from my experiences:
Deadlift - you can train as heavy as you want at home, because you are just picking up from the floor
Press (Overhead) - I found that I trained between 45-65 pounds; I ended my heavy strength phase before I could go any heavier. If you don't have a squat rack, you'll have to 'power clean' the rack to your shoulders. To do a power clean was easier than a press for me, so I had no problem cleaning a bar of 45-65 pounds eventually
Squat - depends if you are training front or back squat ...
Front Squat is safer in my opinion. Without a rack, you'll have the same issue as the press - you'll have to get the bar on your shoulders using the power clean move. So you'll be limited as to how heavy you can clean. But at least if it is too heavy for you, you'll topple forward which isn't as unsafe as a back squat. I'm getting back into heavy lifting and am considering using a heavy kettlebell for goblet squats instead.
Back Squat - I would do my heavy back squats at a gym, and I'm glad I did. My heaviest was about 135 pounds. I "lost" it once, toppled forward with the bar on my back. Luckily I was using the bar supports at the rack which caught the bar and I was able to crawl out from under the bar, totally uninjured. Because of that I will never do heavy back squats at home by myself. Heavy = greater than 45 # for me. If for some reason you want to try them at home without a squat rack, you'll be limited by how much you can clean and then press to get the bar on your back.
Bench Press - for the same reasons as the back squat, I would never do a barbell bench press at home alone. I have done one-arm presses with a dumbbell; I felt comfortable up to a 25# dumbbell.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have more questions.
-Anita
Anita, thank you so much! This was exactly what I was looking for
Very interesting. Since I'm trying to decide whether to go ahead and buy the bar and some more plates, this has helped tremendously.
I'll go for the bar only option, that'll allow me to go up to 47lbs with my current plates and I might get another 2 10lbs plates for Deadlifts and Bent Over Rows (since those should be just like Deadlifts for mechanics, just picking up of the floor?) and get a single 44-55lbs gripper-thingy plate for goblet squats (my heaviest KB is 12kg/26lbs).
I think I'll still benefit from getting a barbell since 47lbs (up to 70lbs with the aditional 10lbs plates) is nothing to frown at, at least in my book, it'll help me to gain some nice strength and see whether this whole heavy lifting thing might be something worth pursuing enough to join a gym.
Just thought about something else - what about Hip Thrusts? That should be fine to go heavy, too, wouldn't it?

horusosiris - thank you for your reply as well. I thought that might be the case.
Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-15, 04:04 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

You've gotten good replies, but I will add that I would not attempt any exercise where you are struggling or shaking using the weights. You really shouldn't try to go to fatigue on exercises like barbell bench press (or dumbbell bench press) or squats, without someone there to spot you. It's not worth the risk of injury.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-15, 05:36 PM  
Chomper

I am someone who lifts fairly "heavy" at home, and almost never uses a barbell. i mostly just use a barbell for hip thrusts. I use heavy dumbbells, a pull-up bar, heavy bands, and a suspension trainer. Even sliders sometimes. I also get creative with exercises. So instead of mostly back squats with a barbell, I might do Bulgarian split squats, side lunges or curtsey squats with dumbbells. In other words, exercises you don't need to go as heavy with. I do front squats from time to time, because as Firmdancer mentioned, you can clean the weight up. With dumbbells, you rest them on your shoulders while holding them securely. Front squats are hard, they really challenge the core. Right now, I have dumbbells up to 40 lbs. looking forward to buying some 45s!

By the way, bench pressing with heavy dumbbells can be done fairly safely at home. Just do one arm at a time. That way, you have a free arm to assist you if you start to fail at the lift.

Are you going to do a DVD or a paper program?
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-15, 06:10 PM  
Candiceena

This thread is GREAT.

I recently checked out the Abs diet book from the library & for some reason the paper workout they recommend has been appealing to me. I have not lifted heavy in a LONG time (since 2008-9). This is sparking my interest even more.
Old 10-30-15, 07:05 PM  
m42

I will have to agree with horusosiris. It is very individual. I have powerblocks that go up to 45 lbs. I used to struggle to lift them, but now they are light. When I was struggling I went to the gym until I could comfortably handle that kind of weight at home. I feel that with the bench press, French press, back or front squat, or really any move that has weight over your head or on your back, that if you feel yourself struggling or trembling then it is too heavy to do at home without at least a spotter.
m42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-15, 07:18 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I think heavier dumbells are a safer option at home for heavy lifting. You can always drop them if things get too tough. You can squat holding them at your sides. With chest and shoulder presses, you can work one side at a time and use the other arm for spotting. I'd say be really cautious as you move into the heavier weights. An injury just isn't worth it.
Old 10-31-15, 05:10 AM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Maybe heavier than you are using is enough?

There are so many variables to consider when answering that question.There is a big difference between going heavier and lifting the heaviest weights possible (which would absolutely require a gym/spotters/etc.).

I have had great success looking good, feeling strong, and having good endurance with home workouts which I put in the endurance category.
I think most of my Cathe workouts fall into that category, especially her total body workouts. I never need to use more than a 50lb barbell plus a 20lb weight vest to get in the work I need for my legs if my rep range is correct. For arms my heaviest dumbells are 35lb which I rarely use because I only use bands/pullups for my back exercises (except pullovers). I use all my dumbells, but I bet I use 12 and 15lb more than my others for upper body.

P90x was a program that gave me the biggest muscles and most defintion ever, and I don't think I ever used more than a 25 lb dumbell. Pullups (even assisted) will give you an amazing challenge!

Plenty can be accomplished at home, but I think generally you will be doing more reps with less weight.

I consider myself to be strong, and know I could work hard and lift very heavy in a gym, but I don't have the time or the inclination given the demands of my life and the success I have at home staying generally fit.

Good luck!
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heavy weight training, heavy weights, home fitness