Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-01-04, 12:02 AM  
ronnee
VF Supporter

Yes! I have definitely started veering towards more "athletic" workouts over the past year (since we adopted a kid upping the total to 2 and since I went back to work full-time -- great job but very stressful and consuming). I also have less time during the semesters so I aim for 45 mins workouts that are intense but not complicated (been big on Cathe and FIRM and kickboxing). The funny thing is that even though I was able to spend time this summer doing P90X I've lost weight since cutting back on workouts and my diet has not changed. Go figure.

Ronnee

ps -- Hi Susan! Haven't heard from you here in awhile!
ronnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-04, 12:07 AM  
Psyche
VF Supporter

I'm a social worker and when I worked in job training programs (not very stressful,) I worked my way up the complexity ladder to being comfortable with Christi, Cathe, CIAs etc. But during the past two years, working in a more emotionally stressful and busier environment (hospice) I find that I mostly prefer straightforward workouts (loving Beachbody!) It's more calming to my brain to prepare me for the day (I workout first thing in the morning.)

Sheri
Psyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-04, 01:59 AM  
Pebbles

Interesting thread! I have what I feel is a somewhat stressful job. I am an elementary school teacher and this year my class is very needy and demanding (and their parents are even more needy and demanding), and then I come home to my own children and household chores. I don't think my job necessarily influences how complex I like my workouts to be, but I definitely go in cycles. There are some very stressful days when I want to come home and lose myself in something very complex and/or high intensity (Christi, Cathe) and other very stressful days when I want to come home and just punch and kick stuff and/or not have to think (Tae Bo, Leslie). The workout I choose also depends on how much my feet and head hurt.
Pebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-04, 07:05 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I'm a software trainer who works with two platforms (Mac and PC), so I'm always learning something. Just keeping up with Microsoft products on two platforms would keep me busy. Anyway, in the past year, I have gone into more and more complex choreography. I think I just am used to learning stuff on a pretty regular basis, so it's a natural.

I have noticed that on weeks that I am drained (lots of classes, high stress, etc.), I do tend to go back to my "comfort" workouts. Those tend to be a bit less complex - Danceworks vs. Hi/Lo Heaven or Pilates vs. weight work.

I've had the same job since I really got into exercising, so I can't comment on job changes affecting exercise changes.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-04, 07:24 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Before I retired, 2 1/2 years ago, my curatorial job was incredibly complex and multi layered: design and development of exhibition, loans to other exhibiting institutions, collection development (original material and monographic support), collection management and assistance with researchers by phone and in person. No numbers crunching beyond keeping departmental statistics (we all know how important those are :rolleyes: ).

Some days my brain would feel fried by evening -- however if it was a cardio morning it had to be complex. It was kind of like warming up my mind (after starting with the Times crossword).

Susan, I think in your situation part of the lure of the outdoors is having some time to yourself -- your house is your mental workplace and you need to leave the building for your lunch break.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-04, 07:31 AM  
Sunrise
VF Supporter

I used to love hour long heart-pumping get sweaty workouts before the twins. Now, from the time they get up in the morning to the time they go to bed at night, every single minute of my life is planned.

I RARELY have a minute to sit and relax. I usually even eat my lunch on the run - standing in the kitchen, grabbing a bite here and there between taking care of babies.

I haven't actually had time to work out in a few weeks but I brought a bunch of DVDs upstairs to pop in the player if I have time. The first one I grabbed - Tamilee's stretch DVD. I want to relax, not get sweaty, not change my clothes, just relax for 10 minutes. Hasn't happened yet, lol, but I'm not giving up hope.

I also grabbed Cathe's pyramids. Minimal equipment for the weights premixes and I think the most bang in 1/2 hour. Since my workout room is in the basement and the twins are on the main floor I have to haul all my stuff upstairs and store it in a closet for the time being.

Once the twins get on a regular schedule I'll be able to do more planning but for right now, I'm flying by the seat of my pants, doing what I can, when I can. I don't want to think, I just want to do.
Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-04, 07:51 AM  
antbuko

My current job is very boring,not stimulating at all. I am in the market for something else.

As far as my workouts go, for the past several months I've been adding to my video collection and trying new instructors, and it's been a blast. I attribute this to Videofitness, but I suppose it also correlates to boredom in my career. It's a lot easier to change my workout then it is to change other aspects of my life. This has also been a stressful year for me and my family, there were three deaths. I think my exercise routine is one of the things in my life that I have full control of, and I can take it in any direction I want to go -- it won't directly affect anyone else. And I think it's helped me to maintain happiness. I'm taking time for me no matter what's going on out there.
Old 11-01-04, 08:47 AM  
Deanna
VF Supporter

First off, Sharon, I must say that I'm shocked it's been 2.5 years already since you retired!! It seems like maybe one year ago. Ack!! Time passes soooo quickly.

Anyway, I'm a SAHM, so I probably shouldn't even be in this thread. I did have something I wanted to add though.....for me, when my life is stressful (when my dad was dying, and other assorted time periods that have been highly emotional), I NEEDED to do simple yet intense cardio workouts. Such as running, Mindy, Cathe, etc. I just didn't feel I had the "room" to do complex choreo at those points. I also tend to grab my Firms at those times too (largely for the time efficiency factor). If I try to force myself to do complex choreo at those points, I generally end up wanting to yank it out of the VCR and fling it across the room . (of course, I'd never actually do that, but the thought is definitely there).
Old 11-01-04, 09:07 AM  
EileenS
VF Supporter

I have to agree with Jennifer though I won't quote your whole post! I need something that engages my mind as I exercise. Complex choreography works quite well for that. If I am doing something less engaging by nature (rowing machine, for example) I make up math problems about my speed and stroke rate or make up complex intervals to keep track of. If I am weight lifting, I focus very intently on my form and particulars of the workout. It's dangerous to let my mind just roam free! I do meditate sometimes but find that I need a focal point -- breath, relaxing body parts, something -- or my mind just spins off somewhere else.

This has been consistent whether my life is complex or not. The more stressful my life (and that isn't the same as complex), the more I need the mental complexity. I just need to let my mind focus on something else for awhile.
Old 11-01-04, 09:10 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsygirl64
That is really interesting - I am an accountant too BUT I LOVE the complexity of a new workout, etc. I find it very stimulating to learn new things and I love the sense of satisfaction when I am able to actually do a whole workout (or a major portion) without error.
I wonder if part of this has to do with how much tolerance a person has for frustration (or newness/change). I am VERY easily frustrated and tend to like sameness. So, I just can't handle choreography.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
career, complex choreography, getting to know you, mindless workouts