Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-21, 08:32 PM  
SpiritYogi

I'm Facebook intolerant so I never had an account but I've heard the same feedback as yours, Alta, when they eliminate it from their (social media) diet.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-21, 09:14 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I use facebook to stay connected with old friends and I love it. I feel like I get to be a part of their lives and that wouldn't have happened without facebook. There are other social benefits I get from it also as well as lots of local news and events, fitness stuff, etc. Yes, there is a lot of garbage on there but it has definitely been a positive thing for me. Oh, and I belong to a parents group for my daughter's college that is invaluable and I belonged to support groups for different surgeries I have had in the past where I got more information and support than I ever got from my doctor which helped me be very prepared for my surgeries.

Erica
I find it overall to be positive. It was really helpful when I was homeschooling and in FB groups. I’m still in a couple of the groups, even though our children are grown.

I also like keeping in touch with people from college and friends I don’t see anymore.

On the negative side is political posts. I try to stay away from the news, it stresses me out. So, I don’t like coming across it on FB. I usually just unfollow that person, if they post a lot.
Old 08-15-21, 07:03 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I don't spend a lot of time on FB but I do have an account and I'm in a couple of book groups that I like to visit briefly a couple of times a day. I have no problem logging off when I'm finished seeing what I want to see. I can certainly live without it but I enjoy what I do spend my time on there doing however briefly it is. It's not a big deal either way for me.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-21, 07:21 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I gave it up for many months, but the pandemic quarantine drove me back. I recently started my own business and now I am hooked. I pretty much just use it for work now. I know what you mean, though. I blocked a ton of people during the election and it's aftermath. Not because they had particular political perspectives, but they were posting utterly ridiculous stuff. I mean, to the point where I was embarrassed for them and losing respect for them! So I figured for the sake of the friendship, it was better just not to know what they were thinking...
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-21, 09:30 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I use facebook to stay connected with old friends and I love it. I feel like I get to be a part of their lives and that wouldn't have happened without facebook. There are other social benefits I get from it also as well as lots of local news and events, fitness stuff, etc. Yes, there is a lot of garbage on there but it has definitely been a positive thing for me. Oh, and I belong to a parents group for my daughter's college that is invaluable and I belonged to support groups for different surgeries I have had in the past where I got more information and support than I ever got from my doctor which helped me be very prepared for my surgeries.

Erica
Me too! I have a burner account for groups, especially parent groups, and a lot of support groups for various things. I find them to be much more helpful than anyone I personally know. They are all moderated though so everyone is generally just there for support. I gave up my personal account though because my extended family are all very opinionated and rather nosy.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-21, 11:03 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I didn't close my FB account. It does have it's uses.

I just haven't felt like going on there at all!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-21, 04:43 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I find it overall to be positive. It was really helpful when I was homeschooling and in FB groups
I forgot about homeschooling groups. I honestly don't think I could have homeschooled without the information I received on our state homeschooling page. They gave me accurate information unlike all the misinformation I received from our school district.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-21, 01:47 PM  
Rhonda

I go on but find myself scrolling quickly, usually isn't much there of interest. I am in a few Peloton groups and those are good for information.

My hubby stayed off for about a month or so and he was fine with it. He has been back on but usually only once a day.

I don't do any of the other social media stuff such as twitter; instagram. Not my cup of tea.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-21, 02:40 PM  
Leonana

I like IG better than FB. Haven’t done tik Tok, as I don’t need any more social media! I stay away from Twitter, I think the term dumpster fire is appropriate lol.
Old 08-16-21, 03:38 PM  
rykram

I gave up FB in 2017 as a New Years Resolution and haven’t looked back. I started to find it toxic and decided I’d rather read a book or watch a movie or tv rather than follow the “drama” on FB.

I don’t regret it at all.

I still have snap, IG, and Twitter but limit myself to once a day, approximately 20-30 minutes for all of them. I am very pleased with the decision.
rykram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
facebook, social media