Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-21, 02:05 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone!

I have DOMS like crazy today after Cathe yesterday. However, I dragged myself out of bed and got in a long tough Tonique/Barlates workout today. I mean, I missed three workout days, and about to have two planned rest days, so I just went for it. I loved the youtube Tonique so much last week that I did the same workout, it's just 10 minutes but serves as an excellent warm up. Then I did Barlates Traditional Barre Series (this one: https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Tra...arl-p/1260.htm) the Compound (24), Back Body (24), and the last several minutes of the Dynamic, plus Callanetics stretching for an overall 80 minute workout. The Compound turned out to be all long lever leg and arm raises front, side, and back and about 20 minutes of that was very taxing! The Back Body was neat, it used the wall to do lunges from (I've seen this move in some Pure Barre streaming workouts, and I know Linda does their streaming so I'm sure that's where she got it from-LOL) with your back heel pushing on the wall to engage your glute on your back leg, and your front leg is of course also working. Then there were triceps presses and pushups off the wall, then some prone glutes and back work. I did the tail end of Dynamic to get some final seat work and abs. So I felt like I hit all the muscle groups today and am totally fatigued now. Anyway I am enjoying the Barlates workouts while I'm taking a break from Pure Barre!

Eventmom waves!

Buzzer I love all of the Firm volumes and ALL of the sultry looks that they contain! LOL. Volume 2 probably contains the MOST sultry looks LOL! I also know most of the words and it keeps me energized. They are just the best!

It's funny what you said about handstands because there is one Tonique workout, I think a Mexico one that is shorter but basically all handstands. In this particular workout she does handstands off the wall and then kicks her leg back (with the intent of landing back on the wall) and I lost my balance and slammed my whole body down on my back. Thankfully I have my blue exercise mat, but I skimmed the fanny step on the way down and had a very deep bruise on my upper thigh/butt area for a long time. It was more shocking than painful, but I never really did handstands with zeal after that And since then my knees and wrists are like no thanks LOL.

I have discovered that I like step aerobics with the Firm, but I'm thinking the choreography is very beginner compared to 'real' step aerobics like with Cathe or some others. Even the smaller square step seems more manageable to me than a long step. The choreography is just too fast, too complex, just too much! I'm finding I prefer hi-low. Cathe's LITE Dance Party has a lot of hi-low and it's much easier in general. And of course, all the hi-low in Firm workouts.

I know I'll never lose all the weight too, from my fittest, or even my second fittest before I met DH. Life just gets complicated and I get older. But I still want to give it my best effort so in 10 and 20 years when it's much harder, that I have a good foundation, hopefully. Great job logging your calories! Every weight loss book says to keep a food log, but like you said it is so tedious. Your plan to drink more, sleep more, and eat good is all you can do! That's the winning formula!

I know what you mean about shirts with memories too. Some I remember being loose and now they're snug, or others I remember feeling amazing in and now I just don't, even if they do fit. I just read in a book the other day how possessions hold so much memories, and it's true. I just don't have all the confidence I used to possess right now although I'm trying to work on building it back up (regardless of my weight). I hope when "life goes back to normal" that I'll feel better and not worse. I anticipate I'll start going back to the office around September when school starts.

I've seen Planet 51 and it's adorable! I don't think I've seen the Penguins movie, although I've watched at least a couple of the Madagascar movies so I know their charm. I'll check it out!
Old 06-07-21, 04:55 AM  
Buzzer

fIrm super cardio mix... DONE!

I loved this one. It's tough if I go all out and do all the bouncing they do, so I modify it to my level. There are two combinations towards the end of the workout where the entire thing is step touches with bicep curls and upright rows, and that always makes my muscles in the sides of my hips hurt! Good hurt from using them, not bad. I really feel them. I used 3's whenever they used weights, and just kept my hands empty when they did the ball. I took out a lot of the bouncing, and did some stepping instead.

the purple portion of my fanny lifter came to me with a crooked bend in it, and the firm lady sent me a replacement. I put weights on it to flatten it, and it seemed to work. However I took the weights off and have been using it, and it has slowly gone back to being crooked. Two feet are off the ground and two are on. So it teeters. I think I need to put weights on it and put it outside on a hot day to try to melt it back into place. Otherwise, when LB starts working out with me, she can have the good step and I will use the crooked one, since I am not really into the high step for Firms like I used to be.

I tried during this workout to keep some ttapp form in it. I really like ttapp in that it gets your body in alignment with the form and also works the core so much. So I focused on "bend it tuck it curl it" while I did the cardio.

I know I am panic working out. I need to fit into more than a few shirts this summer, so I need to shed some weight. I know a lot of it is hormonal, and I have no idea why it's hitting me so hard with the weight gain. It's very strange that I was so active, so slim, and I always heard what you did earlier in your life will help you out later. Now here I am, and you can't even tell I have led a healthy life. Cant even tell I LIVE a healthy life!! I say "no" to so many things, and take time most days to workout. Yet I look exactly like the people who don't do either thing. It's so frustrating.

I will persevere!!

Yesterday LB was so tired. She woke up at like 8:30am, after going to bed at 11pm. We had a kinda chill morning, but then we went to her friends house and played for about an hour (he had a "lemonade and plant sale" stand so we stopped by to visit), then we went to Urban Air for about 3 1/2 hours. She was weepy and over sensitive by the time we left. She was just so over tired. I probably should have made her leave earlier, but she seemed like she was having fun and I was enjoying talking to my friend. I didn't realize when "enough is enough". Today she has a doctor's appointment and then karate, so we will be able to relax the rest of the day!

I slept like CRAP tonight (I say tonight becuase it's still 3:30am). I used the melatonin gummies instead of the pills I usually do, and they don't seem to work for me as well. I woke up at 2am and took 2 more gummies, but they didn't even make me drowsy. So I have had maybe 3 1/2 hours of sleep tonight. I am wide awake. I know later I will fall asleep, so I just hope I don't get drowsy until after LB's appointment. I will probably take a rest day, since working out will probably make me drag through the appointment!

The house is a mess again, so today will also be cleaning the house. Probably some school becuase we still have some of that to do. I plan on doing some school throughout the summer too, just easy and fun school but still pressing forward.

The lady with the horse is talking about moving, and that makes me really sad. They are going to wait until after the summer, so I am hoping they change their minds. I know they are financially struggling, and that's why, however I am hoping they can hold on for the year and a half or two years until they can access their retirement. I will be very sad to see them go, and not for me, but for LB!!

Things change though. sigh. Maybe LB will get her donkey so when they move at least she still has that.

Ebianco: I want to look up those lunges. Huh. Sounds kinda intense, and perhaps a balance challenge! Your handstand story is like my nightmare! HA! That's what I worry about. Sylwia is outside at a park, or in a large space, and I have this tiny workout room. I hate when workouts take up a ton of space, most people don't have that. I have a little more than a mat distance, but more like a firm carpet size to workout. That's all I have ever had. So a handstand mishap would be really bad! I have used this carpet because it reminds me of the firm. It's been the carpet I have used for almost 20 years. it's a good carpet, so it isn't getting dingy or gross, and I love doing the firm on it. I feel like one of the Firm divas!!

I like the Firms step aerobics too. Well, classic firm. The firms with the longer box and the death box are more complicated and confuse me too. I like the step ups and basic L steps and such the classics use. Before working out had to get too complicated! I love floor aerobics. Except when it got more complicated with twists and weird steps. I think that's why I gravitate towards the old Firms. When working out was to workout, not to to some fancy dance!

So funny what you said about things holding "memories". It is so true. I was just talking to a friend yesterday, and we were talking about her MIL who was put into memory care a few weeks ago and now her DH is dealing with clearing out her house. We were talking about what we cherish, like a blanket made by "great Aunt Bertha" that means something to us, but we don't want our kids to feel like they need to hold onto it becuase it "meant something to Mom". They didn't know Great Aunt Bertha.

I don't want a bunch of stuff in my house that meant something to someone else and now I feel like I need to hold onto it for them. I don't want LB to feel like she needs to hold onto things "for Mom". It's tough, becuase things do hold memories and it's fun, nice and comforting, but then again, they are things. I need to figure out if I should hold onto my old clothes with the hope of fitting into them again. If I should sell them or donate them. Some of them are irreplaceable. On the other hand, I have been battling weight gain for a few years, and haven't been able to lose a pound no matter how hard I try. So when is it time to throw in the towel and make the full on commitment to getting rid of clothes that don't fit?

I know it sounds silly, but I am hoping that doing the ttapp and firms will be the ticket. But I have wanted everything to be the ticket, and so far nada. Maybe after this summer if I am not slimmed down enough to fit in the clothes from last year, I will part with them. Give myself a summer to try to turn it around. If I can't do it with them staring me in the face, I won't do it in the snow for next year!

I can honestly say when I was in my 30's I really thought I'd get through this aging thing a lot better than I am

Waves Eventmom! Hope you had a great weekend!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 03:32 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

kind of fell off the checkin bandwagon

Sunday - TA vogue workout + some of popstar for cardio
today- TA vogue workout + 15 walk workout

ebianco - dance moves if off the fitprime 6 day trainer 2 dvd set. the 30s! yikes in june oh no! femme fatale was squats or handstands and neither is good for me.

buzzer - sleep stuff sucks! I was doing better than last night not so good. I take 5mg melatonin and supposedly that all you should take I don't know though who knows. sorry that the horse owner may have to move. I know how much you and LB like working with the horse.

back to work for me!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 06:06 AM  
Buzzer

Firm Tortoise.... DONE!

I worked hard at keeping some of the ttapp form. I tried to keep my toes forward on the leg work, and my abs braced. I have trouble keeping my shoulders back and down, but I did the best I could. I really feel the workout different using the ttapp form! I grabbed my 8 pound weights for the workout, which wasn't really heavy but was still OK with my finger. I am working my way up in weights not only to find where I need to be without over working, but also to see what my finger can handle before it gets cranky.

I loved the ballroom aerobics in this, I loved the abs. I didn't love that she went right to the floor for some abs at the beginning, but then they did more at the end so that made up for it. I do love this workout! I love all the classic firms though. I watched the credits at the end, not remembering the name of the guy who wanted all the money for whatever he thought he should have gotten it for. It seems to me he was a set grunt and wanted money for being set designer since he was listed like that in the credits. I still don't know why Anna and Marc didn't win that battle. That's like a fast food cashier suing because they didn't get paid like the manager. seems pretty cut and dried, but between teresa and the firm, I see that fitness people aren't too financially savvy.

So anyhow I watched the credits and was cranky I couldn't remember who to be cranky at in the credits. HA!

It was a good workout though. my goal is to find the weight that's tough, but not so tough I am gasping for air and shortchanging my form. I like feeling worked out, but not beat up. so I am working up to finding that sweet spot

I kinda want to do another cardio today, but I am wavering between a cardio and doing like a stretch, pilates, or ttapp.

I do think that my shoulder is not from my old injury, but rather from an impingement. My old injury I do feel around my chest (I did it doing incline chest presses) and this shoulder thing I feel in the back/middle. I think I wrote it off to the old injury though and kept going, thinking it might work it out. However, the more I have thought about it and felt it, I think its an impingement. I felt it a LOT on upright rows, overhead presses and those triceps where you have your arm overhead and drop the weight down behind your back. I really think doing the "W" arms in ttapp did it. It's kinda the position you are warned against in lat pulldowns. So I think I gave myself a new issue doing ttapp! I am hoping that by not doing that move anymore and working on stretching, I can get rid of it. I have a shoulder rehab book I am gonna pull out today and see what they recommend.

So I am getting away from ttapp a bit, but I am going to revisit often to make sure I keep that "bend it tuck it lift it" form. Oh, I also was doing the ttapp twists and as many other exercises as I could on my knees, and my feet are a million times better. My toe still bugs me and my arch still bugs me, however they bug me a bunch less. Plus the lower leg pains I was feeling are all gone. I think I was holding my feet all wrong on the press your knees out moves, and putting my feet in a bad position. Lessons learned.

Eventmom: I forgot all about the 6 day trainers! I need to pull those out. I LOVE those workouts!

I seem to do better sleeping with a pill called "night rest" rather than the melatonin gummies. I don't know why the pills work better, but I find when I just do the gummies for more than a night they are pretty much just candy to me. I have a bunch of them, so I try to use them more for getting myself back to sleep. When I have trouble swallowing pills, I usually use the gummy though. I know better than to not use the night rest pills, but sometimes I apparently think that good sleep is just natural! So yesterday night I got a whole 3 1/2 hours of sleep, last night I used the pills again and slept 5 1/2. I need to just use the pills. I need to function!

Hi Ebianco!
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 06-08-21, 11:03 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

TA mat

tomorrow I have another test so I won't be able to do much of a workout.

buzzer - yeah, that 6 day trainer set is great! with melatonin I use one that is delayed release and that makes a huge difference. so last night I slept until around 6 and it was awesome. sorry about the shoulder stuff, I'm surprised ttapp would do that given her claims of good for everyone, rehab etc etc. but it shows we have to go with what works for us as individuals.

hi ebianco!
Old 06-09-21, 07:34 AM  
Buzzer

Firm cardio dance fusion... DONE!

I swear this workout was done it another instructor in a different set. I don't know why, but both were unfamiliar to me. It seems like it was done with different cues too. I don't know why. The whole thing is such a fun workout though! I get confused on some of the steps and moves, but I did what I could and made up the rest. Good workout. It's a pink firm, which I don't necessarily like, but only compared to classics I don't like them. Otherwise, they can be ok workouts.

We met a friend at a water park. We got there early, and get right into the lazy river. We both seemed to have found our place there. It was fun! Just floating around. We did use the sides of the river to push and pull ourselves around faster, and I used my left hand mostly since my right is still taped, so my muscles in my left arm were tired by the end. We spent some time doing other things, but that lazy river is where we spent most of our time!

We were there FIVE hours! Needless to say, I am sunburnt, not too bad, but sunburnt. LB put on the lotion and hit her whole arm but missed her wrist, so her wrist burnt in a funny shape. We went out to dinner afterwards, and then just came home and crashed. It was so fun though!

I'll have to see if they have like a season pass for that park. I swear LB and I could go every day and just lazy river it.

Short check in today... I slept in!! Well, sleeping in to me is 5:30am, and I have to go workout for today. Have a great day!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 06-09-21, 03:47 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all! I started my workout week today with Cathe ICE Metabolic Total Body. The main workout is 48 minutes and I didn't even miss the abs, because there is plenty of core engagement in the main workout! I met or went a little lighter than Cathe's weight and used a range from 5-12# and it was just great. I was sweaty and energized but not wiped, like I was with Cathe ICE Boot Camp Circuit a couple of weeks ago. I was so glad to 'show up' today after being so spotty last week with unplanned rest days. If I can show up on Wednesday, the rest of my 5-day workout week falls into place.

Tomorrow not sure yet, a Pink or BSS Firm, or maybe ACE HIIT for something different (that was pulled out recently thanks to my Alphabet Tour )?

Eventmom I do love that Fitprime 6 Day Trainer! TA Mat is a classic too, of course!

Buzzer The lunges with the back heel on the wall are interesting, you can see them starting at 0:26 in the preview (https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Tra...arl-p/1260.htm). I tried to really push against the back wall to feel it in my back hamstring/glutes. To be honest I was thinking it's not too different than dong a lunge with the loop around your front ankle and back foot. But Linda goes on to add higher taps to the back wall and then to lunge with the foot elevated in the back wall, which was definitely challenging!

I really like Firm Super Cardio Mix too. Have you ever noticed the neutral/tan lighting this one has? It's partly because they're all wearing very neutral colors (compared to the rainbow colors in other workouts), but it's also the filming itself. I thought maybe my DVD was bad, but clips on youtube also show it in the tan lighting too. Or is it just me? This is the only Firm that seems to be in this lighting LOL and I find it distracting, but I still love the workout. I know exactly the tune you are talking about with Jen, she says "we're establishing our pattern!" I agree with you that the later BSS Firms with the long steps have much more complicated (and less fun) step aerobics. I'm sure many people find the classic Firms too easy (not complicated) but I think they're the best!

I know over the years I've gotten rid of most of my very large clothes from 15 years ago (but kept a few pieces as relics to look back on) and gotten rid of most of my tiniest clothes from maybe 10 years ago (but kept a few pieces again to look back on). That way I can keep a memory of where I was at, good and bad, through the years. Now I try to do a twice annual clothes purge where I get rid of clothes I just don't like anymore. I have a larger wardrobe, and buy way too many clothes, and keep some pieces for years, and get rid of others after just a year. Some clothes I'm on the fence about, and I say next time I purge, if I still haven't worn this, I will toss it. It's easier to be objective when it isn't about what fits though. Occasionally I purge jeans that used to be THE PAIR (that I looked great in, felt the most confident in) but over time they've worn out and/or just don't look great in anymore, and I know they never will. Recently I got rid of a lot of shorts that fit me for a few years but just don't anymore. Even though I can technically squeeze into them and zip them up, they just don't look good anymore at all. It's definitely hard getting rid of family possessions passed down. I agree, next generation will not even know who people are, so that's a tough decision.

I think your muscle activation with TTapp will help you with whatever workouts you decide to do! I've gotten great results with Firm workouts before. They carried me through my 20s when I was in the best shape of my life. I think the Cathes are speaking to my body now because there's less cardio involvement, but I also need some cardio to loosen up my muscles from all the strength work. Of course it's also about what you are motivated to do consistently.

Is Firm Cardio Dance Fusion the one with Jen from the Firm Express workouts? I picked that one up at Marys last time but haven't done it yet, LOL. It looked like the choreography was manageable. I agree Pink Firms wane when compared to older Firms but they're probably above average when it comes to other run of the mill DVDs that came out around that time. The water park sounds fun and I'm glad you got a chance to sleep in!
Old 06-10-21, 07:03 AM  
Buzzer

Firm Volume 3... DONE!

I used 5's, 8's (mostly), and 10's. The 10's were for some of the just weights moves, like back rows and some overhead presses. mostly I used the 8's. My finger felt fine, but it did feel like any higher in weights might not work because the weight does rest on the finger a bit.

I enjoyed this workout! With these weights, it's easy to go totally into the moves and really add some flair. I felt it for sure. I chose this one because I didn't want a lot of step aerobics work, but did want some tall box step ups. It just felt right for what I wanted. The cardio was harder than I remember, but I am heavier this time! So I guess I should be proud of myself for doing the cardio with "extra weights"

Today I am doing a practicum for Classical Conversations, which I am not excited about. I liked practicum when LB could hang out in the same building as me, but this time I have to drop her off at one location then go to practicum. So we have to leave early to go get her cake, so I have to leave, find her, then go. It just feels wrong. Plus I always enjoyed the part of practicum that gets me pumped up for CC, and then there is the afternoon where they almost try to make the parents feel like they haven't a clue what is going on. They are trying to teach us what the kids will be taught, but there's a mix of parents that know the stuff from their kids learning it (like latin) and parents that have younger kids who don't know it yet. Then they take all the parents and do "activities" that really make the parents of younger kids feel like idiots. Like, small groups where you "conjugate latin verbs" or "diagram a sentence" where the parents of older kids shine, and the parents of younger kids have no idea. It's very strange and feels demeaning.

So this practicum is the one that makes me feel like an idiot, rather than the one that pumps me up. Not looking forward to it.

Yesterday LB and her BFF went to urban air, and after BFF's Mom left, I went over and sat with another friend of ours that was coincidentally there for her daughters birthday. So I got to hang out and we ended up being at urban air from 12:30 to 5:30. LB should be exhausted!! But no, BFF came home with us and they played until about 8:45pm.

Otis tried to run outside when we didn't want him out, and as he ran by me, I grabbed him by the scruff of the neck with my injured hand. I was sitting down, and in an awkward position, and it took a bit to get myself situated so I could grab his collar or grab him in a more controlled manner, so my injured finger is pretty painful now. I iced it, slept with the splint, and took Advil. This morning it looks and feels more swollen and painful. I was feeling pretty good before that. So last night I was cranky. No workout this morning anyhow, but honestly I probably would hesitate to do anything more than cardio anyhow right now. Doggone it, Otis..

Ebianco: I don't remember if it was the same instructor! I don't think so, because this lady has the longest torso and legs! I don't remember Jen having that. Maybe she does and it was just how they dressed her. Maybe that'll be my next workout and I can compare.
I didn't notice the tan lighting. That's odd. I wonder if they had a new lighting guy who was all "this kind of lighting is the best. It makes you look great!" and after that they fired him and got another guy in who wasn't so artistic about his lighting There are some Firm pinks that seem to be better than others. I got rid of a bunch of pink firms, now I regret it. I regret it becuase I don't remember WHY I didn't like them, so I can't go back and do them again and say "Yeah, that stinks". So now that I am doing Firms, and enjoying the pinks I have, I am wondering about the workouts I got rid of! They are cheap enough though that if I want to, I can repurchase.

I have so many Firms though, that I'm sure that'll pass and I will be happy with the ten million I already have.

So I watched the clip of Linda, and I already had that workout in my cart!! I have like 10 Linda's in my cart. I loved the lunges on the wall! They look like fun. Look like I might tip or not be as graceful as she is, but fun! Like an easier way to do single leg lunges. I hate in one of the Cathe workouts when she has you sit on the bench and do a single leg sit and stand. That's HARD. I don't know why that is so hard.

I put a bunch of Lindas in my cart because I noticed that I only have like, 4 or 5 videos of hers. Which in the real world is just fine, but in my world is "how can I love Linda and have so few videos?" I put in things like the lazy days and gentle stretch, traditional barre and mat workouts. I don't know what I will end up getting, it depends on where I am in my journey as the sale comes up in a few weeks. I get analysis paralysis with Linda's workouts when I try to narrow them down. There's so many I usually just close it all up and walk away.

The wardrobe thing, I need to purge more. Usually when I am changing over from winter to summer, I have a few summer things out since our seasons often switch daily for a while when I have my winter stuff out. Then when I switch my clothes, I usually do it quickly since there's so much activity and people around. I don't get to leisurely go through like I used to, so everything just gets moved and that's it. I need to go through more often. I have shorts I love, but don't wear becuase I am more of a skort girl. I should just get rid of the shorts. Maybe that'll be something I tackle when LB is at camp in July.

Then I can try things on, and decide at once instead of trying to demoralize myself every morning! HA!

Hi Eventmom!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 06-10-21, 12:48 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - 30 min essentrics stretch

had a test to see if I have any spinal fluid leaking yesterday so no workout today. Will try something easy tomorrow!
Old 06-10-21, 01:25 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

I'm getting the dreaded 500 error.

I did ACE HIIT the total body workout with Chris Freytag today. She is always so cheerful and nice! This was a really good workout. Exactly 30 minutes which included about 20 minutes (5x4 minute tabatas) of actual HIIT. I tried to heavy up on weights and she hit all the main muscle groups plus lots of cardio moves. I didn't need to work out more than the 30 minutes! Still, I was tempted to add the 10 minute abs, but it's on another DVD (laziest excuse ever ) also my DH was waiting for me to stop working out so he could make some calls, and I did tell him I'd only be 30 minutes.

Tomorrow some kind of light cardio (probably Firm Ballroom LOL) and a yoga type stretch.

Eventmom waves!

Buzzer Well there's the classic Firm Jen from Cardio Mix, Better Body and Buns, etc. and then there's the Pink Firm Jen that led the two short bonus workouts on Firm Express. The dance cardio DVD I have is with the Pink Firm Jen. I am glad they only filmed with the tan lighting on the one DVD! It just seemed very bizarre to me. It's funny how things like that are distracting.

With Pink Firms, I realize I really like a select few, 500 Calorie, Pump Jump and Jab, Get Chisel'd, Power Half Hour, and the Firm Express/Zips (if you count those as pinks), but quite a few of the pinks were duds, at least when I tried them. I recently revisited Firm Total Body Time Crunch with Rebekah and it was still a complete dud! But like you said they are definitely cheap if you want to try them outa gain!