Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-15-21, 01:14 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine View Post
Erica H: My DH had flu-like symptoms from BOTH Shingrix vaccines and he had no reaction to both Pfizer vaccines other than a sore arm.

txhsmom: My DH and I are both slender and we had no reaction from both Pfizer vaccines (other than a sore arm).

I think you just never know how you'll react to the covid vaccines until you get them.
Thank you! My DH also had bad reactions to both Shingrix vaccines. Fingers crossed that he gets through the covid ones without too much trouble. He's not happy about getting them now so soon after suffering from the tetanus vaccine a few days ago.

Good to know about being slender and having no reactions, too.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 01:54 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine View Post
Erica H: My DH had flu-like symptoms from BOTH Shingrix vaccines and he had no reaction to both Pfizer vaccines other than a sore arm.

txhsmom: My DH and I are both slender and we had no reaction from both Pfizer vaccines (other than a sore arm).

I think you just never know how you'll react to the covid vaccines until you get them.
I think you are right - what happened in our small employee population does not necessarily hold true for others. Probably just a coincidence.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 04:11 PM  
LAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Someone at work observed that the vaccine gets all the skinny people (with major side effects) and leaves the heavier folks alone & apparently there is some research that backs that up - something to do with weight causing your immune system to be suppressed. At least that was our experience among school personnel.

Carol
Alas, while I was skinny in my youth, I'm currently 15- 20 pounds overweight and the second shot was rough going for me. Splitting headache and so exhausted I did not have the energy to get out of bed and walk to the bathroom. My sister is thin and she had a slight headache and mild flu like symptoms after her second shot, but nothing as intense as what I experienced. We thought the difference might be that she is always well hydrated, while I am usually dehydrated (my doctor lectures me about my poor hydration every time I'm in the office and asked to tinkle in a cup!)
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 04:32 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
Alas, while I was skinny in my youth, I'm currently 15- 20 pounds overweight and the second shot was rough going for me. Splitting headache and so exhausted I did not have the energy to get out of bed and walk to the bathroom. My sister is thin and she had a slight headache and mild flu like symptoms after her second shot, but nothing as intense as what I experienced. We thought the difference might be that she is always well hydrated, while I am usually dehydrated (my doctor lectures me about my poor hydration every time I'm in the office and asked to tinkle in a cup!)
You know that could be right about being dehydrated. I struggle to drink enough liquid too.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 04:46 PM  
DCW

The folks I have heard about having a harder time were folks burning the candle at both ends.

A week before my vaccine, I made a point to get to bed on time, ate my fruits and veggies, drank plenty of water, took my vitamins. I was a bit tired and took naps after I got my vaccines.

Each person is different.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 10:03 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I just read this about working out after the vaccine, which I thought was kind of interesting:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/cor...249804418.html

Erica
I'm not planning anything high intensity.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 10:23 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
This might be bad, but I'm hoping that I experience fatigue from the vaccine that will actually help me sleep. I suffer from terrible insomnia and am desperate for sleep.

Erica
I can so relate!!! Some years ago I had influenza (the real deal, positive test and all) and even though I was miserably uncomfortable, on some level it was SUCH a relief to be able to get solid nights of sleep.

My first (Moderna) vaccine gave me a slightly sore upper arm the second day, then after that it was less sore, and maybe a bit stiff. No major discomfort. Not my dominant arm. My second appointment is scheduled, but some weeks away still.

I'm sorry people have been so uncomfortable, but glad of this discussion. I plan to take good care of myself before and after the second dose, in hopes I get through it okay. It hadn't occurred to me that being well hydrated might make such a big difference for some people.

And hey, this is yet another good excuse to stay on track with my good eating habits and sleep hygiene, right?
Old 03-16-21, 08:02 AM  
donnamp

That is a good point about hydration - it is something i struggle with as well - don't know why, really...so I think I will make it a point between now, and whenever I get the vaccine (it seems extremely difficult to get one here - I'm under 60, no health conditions - so maybe that is why???) to be better about hydration.

Thanks for sharing the article on working out!

I am honestly expecting a reaction - I get reactions to the flu vaccine every year - some minor some more severe. One year after the flu vaccine I developed a high fever, got dizzy, and fainted. Other years it is just a general feeling of being off, achey, etc. So - I'm preparing for the worst.

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-21, 12:12 PM  
Pam

LAC-Thanks for the suggestion about staying hydrated and maybe having less of a reaction from the Corvid shots. I don’t drink liquids like I should.

I wanted to share the only way I have been successful in drinking more liquids during the day. When making breakfast, lunch, or dinner, I heat up water and make a thermos of herbal or green tea. I put the thermos in a place that’s convenient to where I be and I have to drink all of it before my next meal. After dinner I have to drink it by 8 pm.
Old 03-16-21, 12:17 PM  
Erica H.

I have the opposite issue. I'm overhydrated - I drink way too much. I wonder if that will have any effect?

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid vaccine, covid-19, vaccinations, vaccines