Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-16-21, 04:14 PM  
DCW

Y'all got me thinking of an easy project....Tossing sad pathetic kitchen utensils.

I have a few that take up space never use and crowd the drawer but I still make room for them. Why oh why do I keep????LOL!! Several years ago at an estate sale I found the utensils my mom had from the 50s that were never used, well made and sturdy.

Time to toss the junk!!! Thanks for the idea!!

Eating my elephant one bite at a time.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-21, 09:07 PM  
fanofladyvols

lreidgreen thanks for the book suggestion, I have requested it from my library.

I am still doing the 30 days of decluttering but I have changed some categories to match my needs. It's actually working very well for me. It's pretty easy to add a day to another if I miss. However, I may change to having two weeks dedicated to clearing out my email. It's ridiculously cluttered despite unsubscribing to things.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-21, 09:13 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Yes the emails. They do pile up don't they? I go through my gmail regularly but I don't go through my other email as much.

Forgot to mention that I went through and got rid of some old spices and reorganized my spice drawers. Put shelf liner down and everything.
Today I put another item in the donate pile and some of those utensil organizers I mentioned actually do fit in the pantry drawers so I used them to organize smaller containers of items like paper clips etc. so they don't slide around. I am also using the pantry to store frequently used office stuff for now until we get a proper desk. Envelopes, stamps, paper pads etc.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-21, 04:50 PM  
Catahoula Cate

Ireidgreen the book on Clutter Blocks sounds great....I like the thought on out of place things...ie: the gardening tools on the dining room table(place of dumping) means maybe shed should be cleaned out. I also find visual clutter bothersome and space therapeutic. I'm on the claustrophobic side and wonder if that is part of it.

Today was a chilly day and so I went to pull out a can of soup only to find it had expired over a year ago so I went through the whole shelf and found 5 or 6 cans expired. I felt bad about the waste. So we do have more shelf space but need to be more judicious in our shopping.

Quit sitting!! Joints and muscles love motion!

Do The Next Thing!
Catahoula Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-21, 09:22 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catahoula Cate View Post
Today was a chilly day and so I went to pull out a can of soup only to find it had expired over a year ago so I went through the whole shelf and found 5 or 6 cans expired. I felt bad about the waste. So we do have more shelf space but need to be more judicious in our shopping.
I am starting to implement Just in Time management from now on. Instead of stocking up I am trying to wait until we actually need stuff. I really like seeing empty space on those shelves.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-21, 12:25 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I haven't gone back to read the thread since I posted last ( a long time ago) to see if you mentioned this but I wanted to mention a book I borrowed from the library that is relevant. It is called "Making Space, Clutter Free" by Tracy Mccubbin. She talks about Clutter Blocks such as "My stuff keeps me in the past" "My stuff tells me who I am" "The stuff I am avoiding", "My fantasy stuff for my fantasy life" "I'm not worth my good stuff", "Trapped with other people's stuff" and :The stuff I keep paying for." She explains each "block", clues that it applies to you then an approach to deal with it. Another thing she suggests that relates to your post is that when you are wondering where to start decluttering to look for out of place items in your house. If you have gardening tools on your dining room table then that probably means your garage or tool shed needs cleaning out first.
Thanks for the book recommendation. My library has it and I'm picking it up tomorrow. I'm a sucker for these types of books.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-21, 09:58 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
...I wanted to mention a book I borrowed from the library that is relevant. It is called "Making Space, Clutter Free" by Tracy Mccubbin.
That sounds interesting. Thanks for the tip!

I've been going through a lot of my stuff. Tossing, taking bags to the Salvation Army, etc. I'm having some luck with the KonMari way of choosing items to keep. Does it bring me joy?

I wanted to ask whet you guys do with old scrapbooks? I have some really old family ones. So old, I don't know who half of the people are. With downsizing in mind, I just can't keep them all.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-21, 10:05 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post

[/I]
I wanted to ask whet you guys do with old scrapbooks? I have some really old family ones. So old, I don't know who half of the people are. With downsizing in mind, I just can't keep them all.
great question - I'm dealing with similar issues. any tips appreciated.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-21, 12:33 PM  
BunnyHop

Do you have any extended family with an interest in genealogy?

Maybe they'd like to take a look or just store them?

Local archive? Local history organizations??
Old 10-02-21, 02:31 PM  
Catahoula Cate

Bumping up for October.

Anyone have any Fall decluttering projects going on?

We've kept up with our recycling mostly. I still have a lot of cardboard boxes in the garage that need to be broken down and go to the recycling center.

Another project that has helped with decluttering and is fun too is that we got a greenhouse this year! It was too hot to get anything going this summer so I've gotten some things started early September and have gotten gardening tools, pots and other items that were cluttering up the garage, house or shed and are now in the greenhouse with their purpose. Fun to see things come together!

Quit sitting!! Joints and muscles love motion!

Do The Next Thing!
Catahoula Cate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
career advice, declutter, decluttering, downsizing, sentimental clutter