Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-20, 04:51 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exercise Diva View Post
T...... What I really don't get are the people who are minimizing the seriousness of this. We have a friend whose mother is dying from it as we speak, and 24 hours ago, she was on the mend and improving, and within a matter of hours she was placed on a ventilator, and the family is being told to prepare for the worst. It's frightening how quickly a person's condition can change.
For a lot of people, it is a defense mechanism. They don't want to be afraid of dying, experiencing financial ruin or living a fettered existence so they minimize it to help them keep going. At this point, no one with basic intelligence can look at the numbers and genuinely deny that there is a dark cloud looming. And let's face it, unless it touches them directly, some folks don't have the depth to feel like it is a problem. Personally, for those who remain completely unscathed when this finally plays out, I think they should shout thanks to the heavens and show compassion for all those who did suffer.
Old 04-13-20, 05:10 PM  
bubbles76

Before today I would have said no negative affect. But one of best friends mocked me because I told her that Tiny Bubbles and I won't be visiting her over spring break. She was basically like "what was the risk" and was very condescending towards me when I told her that the Government had a shelter in place for a reason. I actually hung up on her. I had been suffering from a migraine all day, even had to take sick leave today, and I was not in the mood for it. Sigh! It's not that we have a difference of opinion about it, it was the mocking attitude.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 04-13-20, 06:53 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Before today I would have said no negative affect. But one of best friends mocked me because I told her that Tiny Bubbles and I won't be visiting her over spring break. She was basically like "what was the risk" and was very condescending towards me when I told her that the Government had a shelter in place for a reason. I actually hung up on her. I had been suffering from a migraine all day, even had to take sick leave today, and I was not in the mood for it. Sigh! It's not that we have a difference of opinion about it, it was the mocking attitude.
bubbles, I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'm sure it's very disappointing that you got this reaction from a friend.
Old 04-13-20, 07:55 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

It hasn't changed my relationship with friends or relatives, but I have discovered a couple of co-workers who surprisingly have political opinions similar to mine. I'm stoked about that.
_____
YADeb
Old 04-13-20, 09:53 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Oh, that is a bummer! We had friends in the beginning that were that way with us. Some have caught up with our thinking and some have just realized we're on different pages. No fun to be mocked!
Old 04-13-20, 10:00 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Quote:
So sorry Bubbles, you are doing the right thing. I hope your friend wises up soon.

I sounded the alarm to my family (who mostly live in LA and TX, husband's side in Costa Rica) early on and initially they thought I was wayyy off the rails. 9 members of my family went to Mardi Gras in New Orleans and another 5 went to another Mardi Gras in Alabama. Incredibly, all of them came out of it OK. The death tolls in NOLA tell a different story for other folks though. After preaching don't touch face wash your hands clean the car don't be around too many other people they are all totally with the program, though being apart is very tough.

My years spend in Infection Control are weighing me now, as I can see what's happening and how long it will continue.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Old 04-14-20, 12:46 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Bubbles, that has to be frustrating and saddening. I hope that visiting VF helps a bit. It helps me.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 04-14-20, 12:49 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
... My years spend in Infection Control are weighing me now, as I can see what's happening and how long it will continue.
I remember well all the assorted drills you had at your hospital for different disaster scenarios.

The careless attitudes (and denial) of some folks must make you ever crazier than it does me!

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 04-14-20, 03:32 PM  
wendug

I haven't spoken to one of my brothers since all of this started. In the past he has floated conspiracy theories and I imagine he would about Covid-19, too. I did email him to say I hope he's doing well, but I haven't worked up the courage to call him yet.

Most of my friends and family are taking the virus seriously. My cousin is an ER nurse and I especially worry about him!
Old 04-14-20, 10:51 PM  
Sunrise
VF Supporter

Are you people serious? I live in Michigan and our Governor has taken away all of our basic rights. She has forced the Michigan State Police to start ticketing people who's boats have motors versus kayaks.

If you have a boat with a motor what do you need to launch it? A boat launch.

If you have a kayak what do you need to launch it? A boat launch.

She's shut down boat launches.

This. Is. Madness.

Ban me. Go ahead.
Closed Thread

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, social media