Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-18, 01:53 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question Has anyone here had the NEW Shingrix vaccination

At my recent check-up, my doctor gave me a prescription for Shingrix. I had the old shingles vaccination several years ago.

Has anyone had the Shingrix vaccination? Did you have any side effects? Did your insurance cover the cost?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-18, 02:31 PM  
sciencelady

I got the first shot about two weeks ago - no side effects other than a bit of soreness at the injection site - no worse than a mosquito bite. My doctor recommended that I go to a Walgreen's MinuteClinic to get the shot rather than at his office because of the lower costs there. I submitted my insurance and billing info at the time of the shot to MinuteClinic and wasn't charged anything, but I'll give it a month to work through the insurance company for billing (I did make sure this MinuteClinic was considered in network) - costs including visit charge was about $200. Next shot is due in late August. I didn't need a prescription from my doctor to get the shot.

After seeing my mother suffer with shingles, I certainly don't want to get it!
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-18, 04:04 PM  
Dabbadooey

I have had shingles three times. It is not true that you can only have it once (obviously)
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-18, 04:41 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

My doctor just recommended this to me yesterday. I couldn't take the earlier one because it is a live vaccine, but this one is "denatured" (can't remember word she used, but it's not live.). If my rheumatologist okays it, I plan to get it.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-18, 04:49 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I got my first injection on Monday. It was like a tetanus shot--a bit sore around the injection site for a day. I get the second injection in August.

Our insurance (BC/BS) covers it.

I also had gotten the "old" shingles vaccine a couple of years ago; Shingrix is supposed to be way more effective which is why I got it.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-18, 05:59 PM  
carly

Since the CDC etc. recommends the vaccine at 60 years +.....insurance may vary for those under 60. I'm not there yet. But I have read that both vaccines may only be good for 5 years protection. I hope this vaccine offers a higher % of protection than we have witnessed with the flu shots in the last few years!

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...e/faq-20057859
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-18, 08:09 PM  
old lady

A year ago I got the first part of the pneumonia vaccine and the old shingles vaccine. When I went in April to get the second part of the pneumonia vaccine the pharmacist asked if I wanted the Shingrix, also. I said yes. I got one in each arm and I have never been so sore from a vaccine in my life! I got them at Walgreen's and I don't know if it was the pharmacist or what. She did warn me that the Shingrix could cause soreness. The first part of the pneumonia didn't hurt at all.
I have to go tomorrow to get the second part of the Shingrix and am not looking forward to it.
My insurance (CIGNA) covered the full cost of all the vaccines.
old lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 06:00 AM  
LAC

I developed shingles in May during an especially stressful time at work. It was the most unrelentingly physically painful thing I have endured in my life (even worse than the skin grafting I underwent during reconstruction after a mastectomy).

My doctor has recommended that when my symptoms are all cleared for at least a month, I get the shot. Since it isn't usually recommended until after age 60 and I am 54, I'm not sure my insurance will cover it. But if it reduces the chances I ever have to suffer like that again, I will gladly pay out of pocket and endure a sore arm!
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 07:21 AM  
sciencelady

The old Zostavax shingles vaccine was recommended for over age 60 - the new Shingrix is for age 50+ people.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 07:23 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I just read a couple of days ago that they are anticipating a shortage of this vaccine because of higher than anticipated demand.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto-immune disorder, shingles, shingrix, vaccines, zostavax