Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-17, 10:21 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
Oh wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for explaining! As someone else said, they are coming out with a better vaccine so it seems it is best to wait for many reasons.
I had the vaccination in 2014. I’m glad I didn’t wait. Find a doctor who isn't stupid regarding your health. Even if the current vaccine is not 100% effective, there is still some protection. It could make an attack less severe. Several vaccinations have to be repeated over the years - tetanus, for example. Or, the flu shot every year.

Who knows how long it will be before the new one is available?

A close friend had shingles near his eyes. It was very frightening.

I’ll get the new vaccine when it is available.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 10:52 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I had the vaccination in 2014. I’m glad I didn’t wait. Find a doctor who isn't stupid regarding your health. Even if the current vaccine is not 100% effective, there is still some protection. It could make an attack less severe. Several vaccinations have to be repeated over the years - tetanus, for example. Or, the flu shot every year.

A pharmacist told me the current vaccine can only be given once. Don't know if that's correct -- just what I was told.

And...... I realized in my last post I was talking about a vaccine as if it is a new workout video coming out -- "released" instead of "available". Too many new releases on my brain right now.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 12:31 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Shingrix

Here is more info about the new shingles vaccine, SHINGRIX:

https://www.gsksource.com/pharma/con...f/SHINGRIX.PDF

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 11-16-17, 12:57 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
A pharmacist told me the current vaccine can only be given once. Don't know if that's correct -- just what I was told.

And...... I realized in my last post I was talking about a vaccine as if it is a new workout video coming out -- "released" instead of "available". Too many new releases on my brain right now.
When does the presale start?

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 01:53 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
Shingles is caused by the virus that causes chicken pox, but anyone who has had chicken pox has the virus in their body. All the time. Forever. What causes it to be reactivated is, in the main, stress and fatigue. Any time your immune system is at a low point, the virus can be reactivated. So it isn't disinformation to say that stress causes shingles. It's just that it's a secondary cause, not the primary cause.

Stress can't cause shingles without the presence of the virus. But then, the virus is always there and only causes symptoms when your immune system is under duress. It's not either/or, it's both.
I had shingles when I was pregnant....my doctor attributed it to stress and compromised immune system.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 02:22 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Thanks for the info on the new vaccine. My DH had what the dr. thinks was a mild case of shingles, which could have been much worse had he not had the original vaccine. A friend had it in her mid forties and was miserable and in a whole lot of pain and the lesions she also got really hurt. DH has his annual checkup and will ask his dr. what he thinks about the new vaccine. I expect that our insurance won't cover it, however.

That's really too bad about Tony Horton. Bless him for sharing what happened as it could help people to educate themselves about it. I had heard that stress can bring on an outbreak and he really has it rough with that rare form. I'd never heard of this form. Best wishes for his recovery.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 02:32 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Here is more info about the new shingles vaccine, SHINGRIX:

https://www.gsksource.com/pharma/con...f/SHINGRIX.PDF
Thanks!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 02:34 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I had shingles when I was pregnant....my doctor attributed it to stress and compromised immune system.
That must have been really scary!

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 11-16-17, 03:03 PM  
primrosecat

Do people with shingles need to avoid pregnant women and non-exposed people?
I've always believed it is contagious to those who have not had chicken pox, so does someone know if this is true or not?
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 05:03 PM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

Quote:

I trust my doctor thoroughly.

He indicated 6 months for the new one. And said if you had the old one, the recommendation is for the new one in addition.
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ramsay hunt syndrome, shingles vaccination, shingrix, tony horton, vaccines