Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-03, 11:12 AM  
knobby_knees

Question I like videos shot outdoors – Any Ideas?

After finally watching all of the Yoga tapes I just got I realized I like having the instructor outside while doing the workout. I like the tape AM yoga with Rodney Yee where he is next to the ocean and the tape is short enough to do it quickly. I think I will do this one exactly as the tape states… in the morning before I go to work. The other tape I like Yoga in Nature Beginner/Intermediate with Evamarie Pilipuf. She is next to a small lake while doing the workout, along with the nice background music and her explanations on the postures. Another thing I liked is after the video is there was a section after the workout where she explained the correct way to do the postures (which I was doing some of them incorrectly). The other two videos I got were shot inside. I liked them - but they not as much.

Does anyone have any recommendations on (any) videos where the instructor is outside doing the workout? Or even something with a stimulating set. Since I am trapped inside for the next few months the last thing I need to look at is a plain “blue background” while doing the workout. I know I can go to Collage Video to see a sample of the video but I would like your opinions to narrow down my search.

Thanks,
K. Knees
knobby_knees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-03, 11:20 AM  
bethlee

mindy mylrea

Mindy Mylrea has a set shot outside her home, in, i think, santa cruz. anyway, it is quite pleasant! we're on a broad patio and behind her it is all trees, sky and nice day.

the series is quite tough, for me, but quite good. i have sport zone, an excellent and fun tape (which I'm trading only because i find myself reaching for her CIA instead) with all kind of moves and variety.

bethlee
bethlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-03, 11:23 AM  
Sharonm
VF Supporter

I can think of a couple

Kathy Smith's Fat Burning Breakthru is outside. Very pretty set. Gin Miller also has one, I'm thinking it's her Final Cuts video. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

ACE Group Fitness Instructor
Fit 4 Life
Sharonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-03, 11:25 AM  
Erica H.

Mindy's Ultimate Bootcamp is shot outdoors. This is a very difficult workout and fun! It requires a lot of space, though.
Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-03, 11:26 AM  
Trish
VF Supporter

let's see. . .

You're right knobby knees, Yee's am yoga is wonderful!

here's some more
Tamilee's 2 Stretching/Flexibility workouts
all recent Yoga Zone releases that I have/tried (alot)
Every Classical Stretch Tape that I have
boy! I can't think of any living arts/gaiam releases that aren't outside
Eion Finn's power yoga tape
lots of older Charlene Prickett workouts
Ali McGraw's Yoga tape ( a Visual work of art!!)
Buns of Steel "Power yoga" (much better than the name!)
David Swenson's 'Short Forms' and 'Just relax'

All older and recent gilad videos
the only indoor set I can think of w/ Gilad is his "Arms of Steel"
Ada's basic Training

How's that for a start?
I'm sure there's more. . .
Trish
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-03, 11:59 AM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

Almost all of the Living Arts/Gaiam videos have gorgeous scenery. The exceptions that I can think of: the Yoga Journal beginner's practice with Patricia Walden (the older one) and the Pilates intermediate matwork video with Ana Caban. I think that Ana Caban's beginning matwork video has the same set as the intermediate, but I'm not sure.

The Yoga Zone videos with Alan Finger (except for Flexibility and Stress Release) are set in a studio, but I think that all of the others are set outdoors.

The Healing Yoga videos were both shot outdoors next to a beachside pool. There are no people in the background or on the beach. I think they removed all of the poolside furniture, so it isn't cluttered either. Depending on the camera angle, you'll see the beach or the poolside and the hills beyond it. It's not as visually stunning as the Gaiam videos, but the setting is nice.

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-03, 12:11 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Your Personal Best

Your Personal Best, KV & Elle (KV leads...) is outdoors in Hawaii. Different settings for each segment, some right by the ocean, some in the hills. This is an intermediate, circuit workout, around 55 minutes total. The settings make this workout one of my favoriates, wish it was harder, right now I only use it after a lay off.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-03, 12:30 PM  
Crescent Moon
VF Supporter

Denise R. just posted about these new yoga vids: www.y4a.com. The scenery looks stunning.

Noel
Crescent Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-03, 01:32 PM  
Renee D
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by Colleen
Almost all of the Living Arts/Gaiam videos have gorgeous scenery. The exceptions that I can think of: the Yoga Journal beginner's practice with Patricia Walden (the older one) and the Pilates intermediate matwork video with Ana Caban.
Yoga for Relaxation is also shot *indoors* (but is still very good!)

My favorite outdoor videos are Your Personal Best and Yoga Booty Ballet. Perfect for a dreary winter day (despite the fact that there are some form issues in YBB.) Suzanne Deason's Balance Ball workouts are also flmed outdoors.

Let your love fly like a bird on the wing
And let your love bind you to all living things
And let your love shine
And you'll know what I mean, that's the reason
~Bellamy Brothers

Renee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-03, 01:43 PM  
Deanna
VF Supporter

Yoga For Flexibility with Patricia Walden is also shot indoors, but is a great video.

Mindy's Medicine Ball Training is shot outdoors in a pretty garden setting.

The Wai Lana yoga videos are also shot outdoors using beautiful Hawaiian scenes.

I love outdoor/sunny videos too. It really helps me in the grey winter months.

Tags
outdoor settings, sizzler