Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-04-16, 05:11 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

DH and I have done countless things to protect our privacy.

Nevertheless, our info is all over the internet. Our names, our ages, our address, our relatives, every place we've ever lived. It is frustrating.

You can and should do your best to protect your information. But, anytime you get a loan, buy a house, buy a vehicle, do business with most stores, subscribe to magazines, etc., the companies sell your info faster than you can write it down.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-16, 05:46 PM  
raeven

It is always amazing and funny to me just how cashiers at all the stores act like you are so insane when you don't want their store discount cards. Most people don't think about all these things that are so 'normal' nowadays and how they are used for tracking, and how easily and quickly people can be profiled by whomever when they want to. Think about how, recently, Facebook encourages people to report and call out people that use fake names and accounts on there. Most people don't realize how Facebook tracks all the websites that you visit when you are logged in and liking all those pages and pictures. They know what you're reading, researching, and buying. I hope they find their discounts worth their privacy. We don't, so we pass. To each their own
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-16, 09:42 PM  
suegy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post

Nevertheless, our info is all over the internet. Our names, our ages, our address, our relatives, every place we've ever lived. It is frustrating.

You can and should do your best to protect your information. But, anytime you get a loan, buy a house, buy a vehicle, do business with most stores, subscribe to magazines, etc., the companies sell your info faster than you can write it down.
I agree. I'm surprised that people don't realize that a lot of information is already on the internet. One of my friends bragged about not being on Facebook so her privacy is protected. I searched her name on the net and started telling her all the information about her that I saw including her picture, address, home phone and work address.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-16, 10:23 PM  
MathTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by suegy3 View Post
I agree. I'm surprised that people don't realize that a lot of information is already on the internet. One of my friends bragged about not being on Facebook so her privacy is protected. I searched her name on the net and started telling her all the information about her that I saw including her picture, address, home phone and work address.
I googled my name not long ago. I found a comment that said, "The greatest teacher I ever had." The next comment was "Nuh uh."
Old 02-04-16, 10:31 PM  
MathTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
And on another front, most of my extended family are now my FitBit friends, but are way too competitive for me; they strive to be #1 every day and rack up 100,000+ steps weekly. It gets depressing to always be the person in last place, but as someone who works 8 hours a day at a desk, there is no way for me to keep up with them unless I live on the elliptical/treadmill in the evening and ignore everything else in my life. Maybe it is time for me to ditch FitBit and go back to a pedometer.
I work with super competitive people. They hate to lose the work week hustle. They plod along on their treadmills for hours. There is one who is a night owl. She stays up until she is in the lead every night. Some nights she syncs right before midnight.
Old 02-04-16, 11:55 PM  
Vantreesta

I just saw previews for a new series on SyFy: The Internet Ruined My Life.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-16, 11:08 AM  
Pie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post

Agreed. There is no privacy anymore. My mom told me about a site where if you know what state a person lives in and their name, you can pull up their age plus other info. No more lying about your age anymore....

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-16, 11:15 AM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdoctor01 View Post
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but I'm too frugal to get a Fitbit or other similar device. I only have a Crane heart rate monitor. They keep talking on my local news station about the Fitbit being a concern for privacy. Anyone with a Fitbit concerned? Just curious.

Here is one article.

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...ter-technology
Glad I am not quite that paranoid, otherwise I would not use a rapidly-trending fitness and motion picture app which I am positive by now data-mines me greatly. But in many, many other ways I would find a fitbit impractical and not work the money.

It is so much more than that I don't even do Leslie Sansone but on occasion anymore ... with all my orthopedic problems, which have done nothing but burgeoned slightly, none of my go-to activities (and it ain't even just yoga anymore) justify the use of one.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-16, 12:32 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathTeacher View Post
I work with super competitive people. They hate to lose the work week hustle. They plod along on their treadmills for hours. There is one who is a night owl. She stays up until she is in the lead every night. Some nights she syncs right before midnight.
This can actually be a big problem. I've had friends with addictive natures have to stop using the Fitbit because they would be awake all night walking their steps. I'm competitive, but I prefer to compete with myself. So when one of my friends is at 120k steps, I just think "WOW" and move on. I also have an Apple Watch and that commands me to get up every hour - which I like. I guess the new Alta will do that too.
Old 02-05-16, 01:18 PM  
Dabbadooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by raeven View Post
It is always amazing and funny to me just how cashiers at all the stores act like you are so insane when you don't want their store discount cards. Most people don't think about all these things that are so 'normal' nowadays and how they are used for tracking, and how easily and quickly people can be profiled by whomever when they want to. Think about how, recently, Facebook encourages people to report and call out people that use fake names and accounts on there. Most people don't realize how Facebook tracks all the websites that you visit when you are logged in and liking all those pages and pictures. They know what you're reading, researching, and buying. I hope they find their discounts worth their privacy. We don't, so we pass. To each their own
My brother just deleted his Facebook account because of this.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
data mining, fitbit, id theft, my fitness pal, myfitnesspal, privacy, social media, tracking