Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-11, 02:28 PM  
Blackadar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
And they're nuts in other cities in Canada

Taken during a morning walk in Regina, at -20C. Most people are dressed the way Firmdancer describes above
Yeah, that's about what I saw....insane Canucks.
Old 09-19-11, 03:30 PM  
Lurdes
VF Supporter

That picture is so beautiful and makes me long for my days as a crazy Canuck living in the frozen north! It has been in the low 60s here and the lower temperatures have taken almost a half-minute off my per mile running pace. I much prefer to work out in cooler weather. When I lived in Canada, I'd go down to -20C. Here in SC it can be quite cool early in the morning in the winter, and I've run outside in temperatures like 15F. In general, the lower the temperature, the faster I run and the more comfortable I feel. The only thing that bothers me is wind - a strong north wind is pretty deadly.

Lurdes
Lurdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 04:59 PM  
Daphne M

I will run in very cold weather. With the right clothes, it feels amazing. Cover your ears and your hands and dress for 20 degrees warmer than it is outside. You will be a little cold for the first 5 or 6 minutes. After that, it's fantastic. People never believe it until they try it for themselves. It's kind of like shoveling snow in the winter. You start out bundled up and after 10 minutes, you are stripped down to a shirt and feeling great.

Sometimes it's better to take the workout out inside though. I won't run in the dark on snowy or icy roads. Even with my headlamp, it's dangerous. Bloody marys and omelettes can also cause me to miss a winter run.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 08:24 PM  
Betsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I don't exercise much outside when it's below zero, but if it's any warmer than that I put on my Carhartt and I'm ready to go. I use Yak Trax, too, but just for walking and I agree that they help with traction a lot.
You can run in Carhartt's!?! I guess I haven't thought of doing that-they are a little bulky. But they are definitely warm!
Old 09-19-11, 08:48 PM  
andtckrtoo

Well, I live in the Bay Area now, so it doesn't get too hot or too cold. I can usually cycle in January in shorts.

But, I like to go to Tahoe and snowshoe and cross country ski (I leave the downhill skiing to the people who can do it - I tend to spend more time on the ground than on the skis). I wear a really light pair of wicking socks, then wool socks and if it's really cold, Gortex socks over those. I like light-weight shoes for snowshoeing, so it's not unusual for me to shoe is low top hikers or Gortex running shoes with gators over them. I will wear heavier running tights, or if it's really cold, fleece pants, and several layers up top - a silk turtle neck, wool or synthetic sweater or fleece, and a jacket. I get really warm when I'm moving like that, so I like to dress in layers to be able to regulate my temperature. I wear a hat or ear muffs, and I carry gloves, but I rarely wear them unless it's very cold. My hands get so hot. If my hands or my feet are too hot or too cold, I'm miserable. It's also desert there, even with the moisture, so the temperatures tend to vary wildly during the day. It's not unusual for it to be 10 degrees at 8AM and 40 by noon.
Old 09-20-11, 06:26 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
And to me, 54 degrees is PERFECT weather. Sweatshirt weather is my favorite!
Amen to that!!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather, outdoor, outdoor workouts, outdoors