Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-11, 06:55 AM  
JP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
Thanks, Kyra!

I'm more of a warm-weather person myself, but I do find that I heat up quickly, so the guideline of dressing for weather that's 10-15 degrees warmer than it actually is works well for me.

What brand of Goretex shoes do you have (gortex is the fabric name, not the shoe brand, right?).

TIA!
I don't wear shoes w/ Goretex fabric but Merrill makes several. I wear another kind of Merrill insulated shoe + wool socks for my outdoor walking in winter. I can't find the same shoe model on Zappos but I'm sure there's something similar. If you have a DSW near you, they sell Merrills at a nice discount.

Also, I wear silk long underwear & a Nike insulated pants (dryfit). I bought the Nike pants at Dick's Sporting Goods last winter. Love them!!

When it's really cold, I wear a hat. That's the key to staying warm. My hair looks terrible afterward, but whatever. I also loop a scarf around my neck so I can breathe warm air. It helps your lungs a great deal. You don't want to exercise induced asthma from cold weather exercise.

HTH>

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 08:18 AM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

I exercise outside until it drops below 30. At that point it's touch and go, sometimes outside, sometimes in. I do use my treadmill whenever I feel like it, though, sometimes even when it's quite nice out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
For those of you who do exercise in the cold (running/walking), what do you wear? I can figure out what to wear to about 40 degrees, but lower than that, nope. And how do you keep you feet from getting too cold if you wear running shoes?
I wear a gortex windbreaker, gloves, hat, and nice warm top. On bottom I wear running pants or tights, and, when it's particularly cold, I wear warm soccer socks (the ones that come up to your knees b/c they're meant to go over shin guards) or leg warmers and a neckwarmer.
Old 09-18-11, 08:22 AM  
Kyra

I have Salomon XA Comp 5 GTX trail shoes; they're the goretex version of my trail running shoe. They're also no longer being made; however, Salomon does have other goretex models, as do several trail shoe manufacturer, including Merrell, as mentioned, New Balance, Vasque, and Inov-8, to name a few.

Goretex shoes controversial in trail running circles, so if you see a bad shoe review, read on and don't dismiss the shoe out of hand. The reason for the controversy is that goretex will keep water IN as well as it keeps water out, so if your trail crosses a stream, as many do, you're stuck with shoes full of water on the opposite side. This obviously isn't an issue if you're dealing with cold!

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 09:16 AM  
Betsy
VF Supporter

Yak Trax

Does anybody use these? I was wondering how they work and if they change your gait although I would think running in snow would anyway.
Old 09-18-11, 09:54 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP44 View Post
I don't wear shoes w/ Goretex fabric but Merrill makes several. I wear another kind of Merrill insulated shoe + wool socks for my outdoor walking in winter. I can't find the same shoe model on Zappos but I'm sure there's something similar. If you have a DSW near you, they sell Merrills at a nice discount.

Also, I wear silk long underwear & a Nike insulated pants (dryfit). I bought the Nike pants at Dick's Sporting Goods last winter. Love them!!

When it's really cold, I wear a hat. That's the key to staying warm. My hair looks terrible afterward, but whatever. I also loop a scarf around my neck so I can breathe warm air. It helps your lungs a great deal. You don't want to exercise induced asthma from cold weather exercise.

HTH>

Joan
Thanks!
I don't wear silk, wool, or leather, so my options are a bit more limited.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 09:59 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
Does anybody use these? I was wondering how they work and if they change your gait although I would think running in snow would anyway.
I have some that are similar to Yak Trax. I don't use them for running, just for walking. They certainly do improve your traction greatly, but I don't know what they would be like to run in.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 11:16 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Haha, I don't exercise outside when it's slightly cold.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 12:16 PM  
Betsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I have some that are similar to Yak Trax. I don't use them for running, just for walking. They certainly do improve your traction greatly, but I don't know what they would be like to run in.
Thanks, YogaPam. I guess the only way to find out is to try it.
Old 09-18-11, 07:01 PM  
mspina

I only move my biking indoors (bike on a trainer) in the winter - the running stays outside unless it's ridiculously icy. It's easy to dress for the cold.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 07:02 PM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
These are great for running! You don't even notice them.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather, outdoor, outdoor workouts, outdoors