Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-11, 09:54 PM  
oltlfan

Do you exercise outside when it's super cold?

With fall and winter coming up, i was wondering how your *outside exercise routine changes. Do you still exercise outside when it's super cold, or do you move your exercise inside?
oltlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 09:56 PM  
cdayley

Nope. My sinuses can't take it, so I have to move inside if it's under about 40 degrees. In Idaho, that's about 6 months of the year. Good thing I have a treadmill, and DH is willing to walk the dog in the winter!
Chrys Dayley
cdayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 10:07 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I'm good down to about 10 or 15 degrees (or equivalent wind chill.) Below that, I go inside. But actually, I tolerate cold WAY better than I tolerate heat. I'm more prone to run on the treadmill in the summer when it's hot than in the winter when its cold.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 10:28 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Well, I live in MN. We downhill ski in the winter and I've been out when it's been 0*. I have a lot of gear for that, though. I also will walk in my ski pants, Eddie Bauer parka, and boots just to get sunlight in the winter.

That's about the extent of it, though. I move my cardio workouts indoors when the snow flies.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 10:39 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Last year, I went back to inside exercising after the temps dropped below 50 degrees or so (except for some 5ks I participated in that were 37-45 degrees). I'm going to try to get in at least two walking workouts a week as long as I can tolerate it, but I'm not a lover of the cold, even though I was born and raised in Minnesota, and went to school in Wisconsin.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 11:09 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Nope, I don't exercise outside when it's super cold and it's not because it's cold - after all I live in Chicago and I actually like the cold weather, but it's more due to the fact that I work all day and get home when it's dark by 7pm. So, Why would I want to wander around my park and riverfront in the dark? It's not enticing at all! So, no, I don't "exercise" outside, but I do take every opportunity to walk outside during day hours - whenever I can, and I do my other workouts at home. Since winters in Chicago last about 6-7 months, that's the reason I have over 300 workout dvds.
Usia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 05:24 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I'm like SusanP - I'm more likely to exercise outdoors in the fall & winter than during the summer (uggh - I hate heat & humidity). During the work week, I'm outside every lunch break. On weekends, I hike, orienteer, camp.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 06:25 AM  
sciencelady

I'm the Goldilocks of outside exercising - not too hot, not too cold - it's got to be juuuuust right . For me that's >40 F and <90 F - a very short time period here in MN. That's why I do most of my exercising indoors (but my dog always gets her walk no matter what temperature it is outside).
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 06:26 AM  
Kyra

Yes. I just dress for it. On occasion things will be so bad it's a no go, but I think I missed 3 outdoor workouts in the past year due to weather, and that ain't so bad. Gave me a chance to dust off the DVD collection!

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 06:49 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I generally don't. I don't like all the cold air going into my lungs when I'm breathing hard. I do shovel my own snow however, and I have a large, steep driveway.

Tags
cold weather, outdoor, outdoor workouts, outdoors