Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-14-11, 01:25 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I'm generally not tempted, since I'm extremely rotation-averse. I don't plan rotations beyond the big picture of a balanced mix of cardio/strength/flexibility (which included my yoga practice).

However--I've bought a few systems either because they sounded interesting for me to incorporate into my whole exercise habit, or because the price was right I've yet to find one I like. I've tried:

Slim Series--traded or sold all. Didn't click with Debbie and they were BORING
P90X--too many pushups and I didn't like the weight work. Kept a couple of the cardio workouts.

More recently--S90 and the BOSU X-plode system when they were on sale. Didn't like S90 except for the ball workout--I'm not a fan of bootcamp/puke in a bucket intervals. Also too many bodyweight on the hands exercises which I just can't do.

I was excited about the BOSU collection because I'm always looking for new ways to use the BOSU. Too bad, they use equipment I don't have--that band attached to the post thing--and were too frantic for me. I only like the Keli Roberts workout of that bunch.

So, I've learned my lesson: avoid systems because I'm too picky lol.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 01:34 PM  
cardiomama

Not much. The systems w/ DVDs tend to have many filler workouts (not all are stand alone, solid workouts), that I don't use which stunk/stinks (TF & Firm Express, I did not like half/use of the workouts), and are bundled w/ equipment or other stuff that I don't need (tape measures, nutritional guides). Also, I don't like how the DVD systems often do not place multiple workouts and/or premixes on one DVD (like Cathe, KCM or KB instructors, they give you more bang for your buck w/ one DVD), so one is paying for multiple DVDs that take up room, and costs more than it would for less DVDs in a system (not interested in paying $100 for a system).

RushFit will be the last system that I buy for a long time. I did happen to like all of the workouts and will use them all (which is rare for a system, and the pre-sale price for RF was very good). But gone are the days, where I will buy a system w/ a ton of workouts & extra stuff (equipment, supplemental), and w/ each workout placed on a single disc.

And I think STS resistance was a great investment (albeit single discs) because of how thorough that system was. And the system is just about solid workouts, & one could add in their own cardio & stretch workouts (variable rotation).

I think that's why I have really liked the written/paper workout, lately, because they're no-frills. You just get the workouts, and some guidelines & it's cheaper (but quality of workouts & infor. can be very good).
cardiomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 02:11 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
I follow "systems" all the time, but they're paper or book systems/programs, not video systems. I think the only video system I've ever completed was P90X.

Overall, I like having a plan. I give a lot (perhaps too much!) thought to what programs I want to follow, and how they will lay out, more or less, over the next several months and integrate with a racing (or whatever) prep schedule, which is a second plan, entirely! But once it's done I just slap a schedule on the fridge and go about my business. I like that SO much more than trying to organize a balanced training approach from a hodgepodge of mismatched workouts.
I like book plans too - Female Body Breakthrough, Core Performance, etc. - but I thought the OP was talking about DVD bundles sold as "systems", not books.

Not only is there quite a difference in price between a $15 book and a $100+ DVD bundle, but the bundles seem to be much more marketing-inspired than exercise-science inspired. They gotta have their infomercial hooks: bonus ab disc if you call in the next 10 minutes, or the "Lose a Pants Size by Friday" crash diet.

I just don't like the trend of being forced to buy in quantity. I'd like one or two of the new Zumba DVDs, but not the whole bunch.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 03:39 PM  
Pie
VF Supporter

I love systems because they provide the structure that I need. Once started, I have this compulsive desire to finish. When I'm putting together my own rotations, I often wake up and just do nothing. I also consider them reasonably priced if you figure the cost per DVD. Of course, you would actually have to use all/ most of them for this logic to work.... My main problem is getting back to them once I'm done with a rotation because there is always something new coming out......

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 04:50 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post

I just don't like the trend of being forced to buy in quantity. I'd like one or two of the new Zumba DVDs, but not the whole bunch.
Me, too. I'd be on that in a second if they were available individually.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 05:20 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I have tried many of the Firm's systems, from Tri-Trainers through Firm Express. Didn't work for me. I tried P90X and couldn't do them. Slim in 6 made me sick all 3 times that I tried it. Slim Series wore me out but didn't shape me up. Slim Series Express was fun but didn't have enough glute work. I love Leslie, but I just couldn't walk off any weight.

Enter Supreme 90 Day, with all its tackiness, awful background exercisers, uneven speed and everything else its critics have pointed out. 64 days in, I've lost about 2" from every place I measure, 10 lbs, and I'm the strongest I've ever been.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 06:08 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
My main problem is getting back to them once I'm done with a rotation because there is always something new coming out......
Here's a cost-saving idea: we could organize a system co-op, not trading but a Netflix-like section where members can share their used systems in 90-day rotations. That way you'd buy one system that you would contribute after using, but you'd get to use other systems on a rotating basis. Everyone who participates could eventually get their original systems returned but would have to be tolerant of use scratches etc. So maybe don't include your most precious system.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 06:10 PM  
icebergslim

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey vidiot View Post
I have tried many of the Firm's systems, from Tri-Trainers through Firm Express. Didn't work for me. I tried P90X and couldn't do them. Slim in 6 made me sick all 3 times that I tried it. Slim Series wore me out but didn't shape me up. Slim Series Express was fun but didn't have enough glute work. I love Leslie, but I just couldn't walk off any weight.

Enter Supreme 90 Day, with all its tackiness, awful background exercisers, uneven speed and everything else its critics have pointed out. 64 days in, I've lost about 2" from every place I measure, 10 lbs, and I'm the strongest I've ever been.
Yay!! 4 S90D!!! Congrats!!!
icebergslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 06:50 PM  
ADoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey vidiot View Post
Wow! Congratulations! I was starting the rotation and got sick with a sinus infection. I need to get back to it once I'm feeling better.
ADoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 06:58 PM  
Amazon

I buy 'em, but then...

... most of the time I end up feeling they are inadequate in some area and I have to supplement them or mess with them in some way-- and then I'm not really doing the system, am I??

Like P90X. I hated the limited lower body workouts. I wanted more so I'd add Cathe's Lower Body Pyramid. Then I hated the 1.5 hour of yoga, so I'd sub with doing half of YogaX one day and half on another.

And like I couldn't do half of the exercises in Core Synergistics so I stopped doing it completely.

After a while I realized I wasn't really "doing" P90X so I just quit. I do use some of the videos, though, in isolated workouts. Right now I like using Chest and back, but I never felt the love for it until after I completed the 100 pushups program.

The ONLY system I've ever done completely and totally as designed was Cathe's STS, I totally love that series. I think it's Cathe's best work. The online workout log is an additional plus for me.
Amazon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beachbody, p90x, rotations, systems