Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-13-11, 02:04 PM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
NO! Unless it's a $20 system, like S90 or Disco Abs, which I never do as a rotation, anyway.

I think this "system" craze is just a way to get people to pay more for junk like diets, tape measures, pencils, bracelets and motivational/interview/"making of" DVDs.
I think systems are great for people who want/need the structure/discipline/motivation they provide. And as someone else said, the overall cost per DVD/workout in a system is often less than the cost of the same number of single DVDs.

For me, no system has ever come close to P90X. It radically changed the way I looked at exercise and fitness. I doubt I'd have been drawn to kettlebell training without a large dose of P90X beforehand.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 02:06 PM  
jacmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergirl View Post
I have been following a loose rotation based on workout categories that has helped keep me accountable while still allowing me to choose what workouts I feel like doing.

Mon: Cardio
Tues: Total body weights
Wed: Cardio
Thurs: Legs
Fri: Cardio
Sat: Circuit
Sun: Off or yoga

This has really helped me to stay focused on a "rotation" while still allowing me to choose the workout I feel like doing from the category scheduled for that day.

You and I are following the same type of rotation!! I am throughly enjoying it, as I feel I can work in all my different types of workouts in. On the circuit day, I may do a true circuit, a kettlebell or Bodystrikes type workout.
jacmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 02:11 PM  
upperwside

I buy some of them for the individual workouts... and do my own thing. I may follow a mini rotation for a while or create my own mixing in other workouts. It is called the ADD workout system.. or the i have an ocean of videos looking back at me and i have to do them all!
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 02:12 PM  
counterclockwise

I also don't mind paper workouts/plans, and if anyone is interested and hasn't seen these before, Mbody has lots of free ones (KB's, and I think there might be some body weight ones): http://www.mbodystrength.com/trainin...-workout-plans

And here's a cool non-KB, bootcamp-y one that someone else posted a while back (I really want to try this):

http://www.fitstudio.com/programs/bcx
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 02:14 PM  
Kyra

I follow "systems" all the time, but they're paper or book systems/programs, not video systems. I think the only video system I've ever completed was P90X.

Overall, I like having a plan. I give a lot (perhaps too much!) thought to what programs I want to follow, and how they will lay out, more or less, over the next several months and integrate with a racing (or whatever) prep schedule, which is a second plan, entirely! But once it's done I just slap a schedule on the fridge and go about my business. I like that SO much more than trying to organize a balanced training approach from a hodgepodge of mismatched workouts.

Works for me!

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 03:21 PM  
Dabbadooey

I love reading about them and watching the infomercials, but I rarely buy. I recently found a good deal on Blissology on the swap. I want APY60 really badly, but the current price is just too high.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 04:01 PM  
mtnmom

It's really hard for me to spend more than $40 at a time on fitness DVDs. Systems don't entice me. The last time I spent a wad of money was when Cathe had the presale for Hardcore Series - and that really wasn't a system since there never was a rotation it was designed around. I ended up selling all but 3 out of the 11.

Most of the systems are sold by infomercials. Since there's limited TV that I watch, I never see the infomercial. Those infomercials always sound cheesy anyway, even though some are for quality products like P90X. If I did run across one, I'd switch the channel. It's saved me from dealing with companies like BeachBody, and that's a good thing too.

I still have about 110 DVDs and I feel I have a good variety to work with. None of my DVDs are by instructors who bug me. They'll all get used, some more often than others. I usually have an idea of what I'll do for the next few days planned ahead. Right now, I'm being inspired by a rotation Kelly posted some time ago, integrating SS and TLC where I can. She came up with one using the new workouts, but I didn't care for it. (All cardio one week, all weights the next?)
Old 05-14-11, 09:03 AM  
devadiva

I myself love rotations and follow them to a tee...i do change the days around sometimes or double up if I need a day off or do more BUT it keeps me accoutable and gives me I think a more rounded workout.
With my 250 or more workout collection I tend to flounder with indecesion.
I just finished S90 loved it,am currently in a move and NOW can't decide what to start at the ened of the week. Insanity,Clx,Turbo Fire,P90x.Or rotatate through my wonderful dvds.
My birthday is next week and I am hoping for RUSHFIT but the birthday fairy doesn't have a clue!
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 09:16 AM  
bearcatfan

All.the.time. Beachbody is a cruel temptress, lol.

Probably the best money I ever spent, fitness-wise, was on P90X. It showed me the value of a rotation. That and STS are the only systems I have. I don't county Four Day Split, Gym Styles or things like that as systems.
Old 05-14-11, 01:04 PM  
KathAL79

I'm another who likes structure, even formal rotations. I don't have too many video systems, however. And I will tweak things rather than follow them exactly, depending upon my needs, goals, abilities, etc.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beachbody, p90x, rotations, systems