Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-29-11, 04:08 PM  
yahoo205

Yoga DVD with beautiful scenery

i like really bright sets.

i'd also like it to have a lot of balance and stretching (like bikram sequence). thanks
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-11, 04:17 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Well, you should definitely check out Eoin's latest offering: Blissology. There are clips here:

http://www.blissology.com/community/...-video-series/

Click on the Disc 1: etc., and you get to clips as I recall. It's beautiful, and while not "bikram", it does have some similar balance (and other) work.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-11, 04:50 PM  
Gancho Girl

Karen Voight's Full Body Stretch is particularly beautiful. Fields and mountains and Karen!

I also got Ali Macgraw's Yoga Mind & Body for christmas (well, I bought it, handed it over to my partner and said "give me this") and it has beautiful desert scenery. The look overall is a bit dated, but it reminds me of Janet Jackson's Love Will Never Do video (one of my favs), so I like the look!

---
http://livingroomathlete.blogspot.com/

Disclosure statement: I am a facilitator for Misty Tripoli's THE GROOVE and a Pilates instructor.
Gancho Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 07:45 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo205 View Post
i like really bright sets.

i'd also like it to have a lot of balance and stretching (like bikram sequence). thanks
None of the Bikram-inspired routines on DVD have scenery (Tony Sanchez, Jimmy Barkan, and even Bikram's own DVD for pregnant women--all of these are filmed in a studio). Raquel Welch's Bikram video is filmed poolside at a mansion IIRC.

The yoga videos with Trudie Styler are filmed at the Tuscan villa that she and Sting own. They are quite lovely.

David Swenson's Short Forms is filmed at the Houston Botanical Garden. David's Just Relax stretching video is filmed on a beach in Hawaii.

The Pulse Yoga DVDs are filmed at a resort in Mexico.

I seem to remember that Shiva Rea's Yoga Shakti is filmed on a beach.

Gurmukh's kundalini yoga DVD is filmed outdoors.

I second the mention of Karen Voight's new stretching video and Ali MacGraw's Yoga Mind and Body

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.

Last edited by eam531; 03-30-11 at 07:46 AM. Reason: added a couple of other videos
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 08:12 AM  
shortie

Try Element: Yoga for Stress Relief and Flexibility by Ashley Turner. Filmed outdoors in a garden with lots of background flowering bushes and trees, lovely setting!

There are two segments -- one is more about stress, and the other is more about stretching (as you'd guess from the title!).
shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 08:32 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Altar of the Heart

www.tilakpyle.com

I know everyone's on the Blissology train but this one has a place in the VF archives of All Around Best Loved Yoga Videos With Beautiful Music and Outdoor Scenery.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 08:51 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Altar of the Heart

www.tilakpyle.com

I know everyone's on the Blissology train but this one has a place in the VF archives of All Around Best Loved Yoga Videos With Beautiful Music and Outdoor Scenery.
Nice one.

Rodney Yee's videos sometimes have great natural backdrops: AM Yoga for Your Week is notable. The Erich Schiffmann DVD (Yoga Mind & Body) is, I agree, a little dated in its production but the White Sands setting is lovely.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 08:58 AM  
missmomus

In addition to the above recs, some of my favorites are:

Yoga Zone - Flexibility and Stress Release
Rodney Yee - particularly the non-power yoga videos like AM Yoga for Your Week
Ishwari Gonnot - Heart Flow Vinyasa
Wai Lana (not to everyone's taste but you never know)
Darryl Dewald Being In Yoga

Most of Shiva Rea's stuff has beautiful settings, but may be a bit faster vinyasa than what you're looking for...another one similar to her dvds is Claire Missingham Yoga - filmed in Morocco - absolutely stunning scenery but way too fast moving for me
missmomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 09:03 AM  
Eibhinn

I agree that Yoga Shakti, Yoga Mind & Body and Blissology are all beautiful, and have nice, strong, physical yoga. AM Yoga for Your Week is also amazing, and brightly lit, although it's a little slower paced than the others. ETA - Missmomus is right - Claire Missingham's Yoga is also beautiful and very physical, but really advanced. Maybe a bit much for most people.

I like David Swenson's Short Forms and Tilak's Altar of the Heart. They're both amazing practices, but if the "really bright" thing is a dealbreaker, they might not be for you. They're a tiny bit dark, or at least not tropical bright in comparison to the others. Yoga Shakti can be a tiny bit dark/greyish in places, too, despite being filmed in India.

Another you might want to consider is Micheline Berry's Liquid Asana Volume 3. I believe the other two volumes are filmed in a studio, but Volume 3 is filmed in Brazil - on the beach and in the rainforest. Berry studied with Shiva Rea and Liquid Asana is everything I loved about Yoga Shakti - it's absolutely gorgeous, and contains several shorter sequences which can be strung together to make longer practices. The style of Yoga is slightly creative power/vinyasa, like YS, but not so "out there" creative as Shiva's newest releases. If you're into more free-form stuff, some of Shiva's other DVDs might appeal - many of Acacia's Yoga videos have absolutely beautiful outdoor settings.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 09:10 AM  
sherry7899

Eibhinn, I bought that Micheline Berry dvd last month and have yet to try it. I bought it mainly for the scenery (thanks to Mary's clips). I hope to try it when my back is better. I don't think Mary sells volume 3 anymore. I don't see it on her site.

Shiva's beginner dvd has a beautiful outdoor setting. It's the only Shiva dvd I kept.

http://www.amazon.com/Shiva-Rea-Flow...1494272&sr=8-1

A very long clip is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yft3OvEakDE

It looks like they may have posted the whole dvd, (or most of it) divided into four parts! Click on the top right hand of the screen for the next clip in sequence. There are four total.

Sherry
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
outdoor settings, yoga