Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-11, 11:23 AM  
Kesal

I just started a Hollywood Trainer (Jeanette Jenkins) rotation. They are all set outdoors. It's not a dramatic background, just a patio, but it's leafy and pleasant.

Other than that, all my outdoor dvds have been mentioned. My favorite is Gilad's Step Aerobics -- I love that it's set on a pier with a busy beach behind it. It's fun and interesting, rather than tranquil.

Also, although they aren't set outdoors, the four TLT workouts are set in a studio with huge windows in the background, looking out over Charleston Harbor (I think). You see ships in the background, and one video (Finding Your Core?) is filmed while a storm rolls in, if I remember right. For me, the outdoors has more of a presence in these dvds than it does in a lot of dvds that are actually filmed outdoors.
Kesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 02:45 PM  
acey

I just did a Gilad Bodies In Motion workout set on the beach this morning to counter the dread of going out into the NYC streets after our latest blizzard.

I love the Cindy Crawford Shape Your Body where she is in various outdoor settings like a NYC skyscraper roof. Chynna also had a workout where she sits outside in various urban settings, like a fire escape.

The Caribbean Workouts of course are all outside, often next to a swimming pool.

There was one really, really old aerobics workout -- I *think* it was Kathy Smith or some such -- filmed in a parking lot!! Ouch on the joints...

There was a Kimberly Spreen workout for Shape that wasn't well received, but the outdoor setting was breathtaking.

And the Shimmy and Namaste Yoga series on FitTV have gorgeous backdrops, like on the beach, by a lake with a cityscape in the background, or among the columns of a museum-like building. I think they are green screens but hey, they're gorgeous.
Old 01-12-11, 02:55 PM  
mtnmom

I know Lauren Brook's first Kettlebell workout was filmed on a rooftop and I saw the clip of her third workout that was filmed by a pool - gorgeous setting!

I know that Anthony D. and Beth Chamberlain filmed Kettlebell Way 2 outside in NYC.
Old 01-12-11, 03:22 PM  
acey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mismandy View Post
This piqued my interest so I checked out her site. The workouts look pretty good, from what I could see -- has anybody done these? I'm not sure how well I'd click with her as an instructor, but one never knows.
Old 01-20-11, 01:08 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Revisiting this thread as I've been going through my workouts, cataloging them. Isn't it just wonderful having workouts shot outdoors in gorgeous locales?! I find them so energizing and motivating -- they are my favorites, always!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-11, 09:40 AM  
mtnmom

I've often been swayed in the past to purchase workouts that were filmed outdoors. Lots of yoga workouts are done outdoors and my yoga collection was getting huge. I hardly do yoga!

I finally had to cull my yoga DVDs and only kept about 6.

So when I look at clips of workouts and I'm lulled by the scenery, I really have to ask myself if I would do the workout if it wasn't set outdoors.

I wish more instructors would take their workouts outdoors. But I understand that when they do, they lose control of lighting, sound, unintentional interruptions, etc.
Old 01-20-11, 01:24 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

I think the Trudie Styler DVDs that are shot outside offer beautiful scenery.

There are a few TRX workouts that are filmed outside also.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-11, 01:32 PM  
sherry7899

Diane, I've also gotten sucked into buying too many workouts just for the scenery! I have to stop and think if I'd like the workout also-not just the scenery!

Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
element ballet, outdoor settings