Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-19-21, 07:45 AM  
sherry7899

yoga practice question

I have a question for those of you who practice yoga consistently. I do yoga every day after strength or cardio, and some days at that point I can only do mostly floor stretchy yoga. How do you fit in other yoga? I know I could go back and do something a little more strenuous later in the day, but based on my history, that won't happen often! I could also do it on my "rest" days from cardio and strength. Just thinking out loud! I am starting to miss kundalini yoga, but there is no way I could do it after strength or cardio.

Thank you,
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-21, 08:05 AM  
Vantreesta

I don't know anything about kundalini yoga, I've never tried that type, but is it smthg you could do before your cardio and weights and then still do your stretchy floor yoga after the workouts like you've been doing?

I totally get the struggle to fit everything in! Hope you can find a solution that works for you. I'm actually trying to figure out the same thing. The only yoga I've been getting lately is my post-run practice and some days Kassandra's Evening Yoga Movement, which is not at all strenuous as it's supposed to relax you for bed. I have noticed a loss of strength that I had gained doing Lesley Fightmaster's 30 day beginner challenge, plus I miss my DVDs!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-21, 10:09 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I only have a few days per week, where I might be able to get a longer yoga session in. I'm trying to get in at least one Yin and one Power per week, and Sunday tends to allow more time for that. Generally the other days are shorter, stretchy practices for AM/PM or add-ons to other stuff. Some days I opt for Qi Gong (instead of yoga) depending on how I'm feeling, but most weeks I am doing yoga more often than not. Still, I'm not fitting everything in either. Some days I feel I get enough cardio in without an actual "cardio" workout. And, strength training has only been a couple days a week, as of late! During the summer months my workouts tend to lean on the gentler side and I will pick up other rotations in the fall or winter months, that are more demanding.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-21, 11:24 AM  
laurajhawk

I usually take studio yoga classes twice a week, after work, which is long enough after my morning workout that I'm not tired. Non-class days vary depending on my current mood, needs, and schedule. Sometimes I do a short workout plus a short yoga practice (Gilad + Namaste is a great combo). Other times I reserve some days for a full (30-75 minute) yoga practice as my morning workout. If I'm doing a formal rotation, I think about how to fit in my yoga and modify the plan accordingly. (Sometimes I tell myself "I'll just do short yoga every evening," but it mostly doesn't happen.)

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-21, 04:40 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

why not just substitute one of your other programs and put yoga in there? two days your workouts, then do a yoga workout? Cardio will happen and strength will happen in yoga. there are no rules about when you do a type of exercise.. I don't get it. You build strength with yoga and you can get cardio from yoga. maybe ask also in the Yoga threads?

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-21, 06:01 PM  
Vantreesta

I have never been able to build the same kind of strength or cardio endurance with yoga that I get from weights and true cardio. It's not as simple as replacing other workouts, in my opinion.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-21, 06:18 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I have never been able to build the same kind of strength or cardio endurance with yoga that I get from weights and true cardio. It's not as simple as replacing other workouts, in my opinion.
Exactly! I do not do power yoga.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-21, 06:29 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I get it’s not the same then why not just not do it? Do you have to do it all? If you miss a day of strength that’s recuperation time. Rest the body from continuous pressure. Unless you’re competing you are putting more stress on your body by worrying how to do yoga. Onnit has strength programs and yoga is part of a weeks workout.

Even cross fitter put yoga in their programs.

Are going in for competition? A challenge?

Do it on Sundays if it doesn’t have the same resistance level you want. I have a 7 day yoga set and it has rest days and it has mobility days.

It doesn’t sound like a rounded program if these types of less strenuous aren’t in there.

There decompression yoga, and power yoga and all types. Yin yoga. Otherwise, just don’t do it.

~~~Cheryl

Old 08-19-21, 06:31 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Exactly! I do not do power yoga.
Sherry you’ve been here for years and you can’t find a way to fit in yoga for you?

~~~Cheryl

Old 08-19-21, 06:57 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
Sherry you’ve been here for years and you can’t find a way to fit in yoga for you?
I don't think Sherry is alone in that! I feel like you're being a bit harsh on her. It is hard to find the days to fit in everything if a person likes a wide variety of activities or wants to make sure s/he has a certain number of days of X and Y, etc. I know when I saw her question posed in the first post on this thread I thought "oh great! I need some wisdom in that area, too!" It's just hard to fit it all in.

Tags
yoga