Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-26-20, 04:49 PM  
Carol K

Okay, I'd like to speak to the issue of dense breasts being "bull***". They are not. I'm not a clinician; I'm just a medical coder, but I did have dense breasts for a few years, and my doctor recommended a screening ultrasound during those years. So I looked it up and this protocol came about because a doctor who always had a yearly mammogram was suddenly diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. She determined that if your breasts are of a certain density, mammograms can miss tumors that can be seen on an ultrasound. The hospital that I work for recommends a screening ultrasound if the radiologist who reads your mammogram determines that your breasts are heterogeneously or extremely dense, but not if you just have scattered areas of density. In Illinois, a screening ultrasound is covered 100% as preventive care if it is done only for breast density and not for any other diagnostic finding.
Old 03-26-20, 05:23 PM  
amoodygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
Okay, I'd like to speak to the issue of dense breasts being "bull***". They are not. I'm not a clinician; I'm just a medical coder, but I did have dense breasts for a few years, and my doctor recommended a screening ultrasound during those years. So I looked it up and this protocol came about because a doctor who always had a yearly mammogram was suddenly diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. She determined that if your breasts are of a certain density, mammograms can miss tumors that can be seen on an ultrasound. The hospital that I work for recommends a screening ultrasound if the radiologist who reads your mammogram determines that your breasts are heterogeneously or extremely dense, but not if you just have scattered areas of density. In Illinois, a screening ultrasound is covered 100% as preventive care if it is done only for breast density and not for any other diagnostic finding.
Hi Carol - oh I know - I knew the moment he said that the red flag went up. I come from a line of women with dense breasts and thankfully no breast cancer.

I now go to a center that has the most advanced mammogram technology - 3D mammography as well as 3D ultrasound. I just went through breast cancer with a very close friend - literally. I went to every single doctor's appointment as her note taker, was at the hospital for the surgery, her follow-up and radiation. Thankfully she is clear but, again, a woman with dense breasts. It was a scary time but she is well.

This "doctor" should have his license revoked. I honestly think it's a case of a male doctor not taking a woman seriously.

Thanks for your response, Carol - very much appreciated.

Diane

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-20, 05:36 PM  
donnamp

Diane - OMG - that dr sounds terrible!

Carol - I was at CVS over the weekend -and same set up.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-20, 06:08 PM  
amoodygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Diane - OMG - that dr sounds terrible! Donna
He sure is! One and done as I tell my husband. He is local, has a nice office but no substance there for sure!

Diane

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto-immune disorder, shingles, shingrix, vaccines, zostavax