Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-12, 02:42 PM  
Jean@125

warm weather and outdoor walk/runs

Is this type of workout okay to do daily? It has been a while and I only do about 2.5 miles.
Jean@125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 03:26 PM  
zippity

Absolutely! Have fun and enjoy the wonderful weather! Your body will tell you when it needs a break.
zippity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 09:14 PM  
bfit

I'm over 50, and I can't run every day like I used to or I get sore knees. I can run every other day, and I can walk every day. I also think it's important whether you're running or walking to vary the intensity from day to day if you go every day - for example, do a long distance one day and then a shorter distance the next day or go fast one day and slower the next.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 02:14 PM  
Jean@125

Thanks Ladies!
Old 04-01-12, 04:56 PM  
Artist of Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippity View Post
Absolutely! Have fun and enjoy the wonderful weather! Your body will tell you when it needs a break.
Ditto.

I walk whenever I get a chance and it's my preferred workout choice in the warmer months. I can go 6-8 months without using DVDs, machines, or a gym- just walking and a little reistance with my bands. When you need the break, your body will tell you. Some days you won't want to walk at all, others you will want to go longer and/or further, and others still you'll take a much shorter walk.

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 08:00 PM  
Jean@125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist of Eyes View Post
Ditto.

I walk whenever I get a chance and it's my preferred workout choice in the warmer months. I can go 6-8 months without using DVDs, machines, or a gym- just walking and a little reistance with my bands. When you need the break, your body will tell you. Some days you won't want to walk at all, others you will want to go longer and/or further, and others still you'll take a much shorter walk.
Are you strictly doing walking? I am doing more of a jog/walk routine, with some faster paced run intervals thrown in. I know we shouldn't run everyday, but am hoping that my routine is safe to do almost everyday.
Old 04-01-12, 08:09 PM  
Harantwanders

I love to jog/walk and I do it almost every day. I exercise daily and keep a log of the streak and I do vary things a lot, doing weights and videos and yoga but the jog/walks are fairly consistent. I am also trying to get faster in running and sometimes I also like to just walk slow and feel the joy.
Harantwanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 09:44 PM  
Artist of Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean@125 View Post
Are you strictly doing walking? I am doing more of a jog/walk routine, with some faster paced run intervals thrown in. I know we shouldn't run everyday, but am hoping that my routine is safe to do almost everyday.
Yes. I can't run bc of the type of knee surgeries I had and issues I have with the tendons in my knees. There are a lot of people that run daily. However I have read that it should either be done every other day or 3x per week at most. I am no running expert and I think that advice would vary from doctor to doctor as well as running advice websites. Perhaps Runner's World has a site that you can post this question to? Personally, I feel running is different from walking and I when I could run, I didn't do it often, i never liked it. But walking I do know is something that is pretty much ok to do daily depending on intensity. Not much help, I know.

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outdoor workouts