Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-17-21, 04:36 PM  
alisoncooks

Those ginormous loop bands

I keep seeing these ginormous loop bands on YouTube videos. I think I've seen them also marketed as pull-up assists. (I've seen pull-up assists before but never used in a workout like this until fairly recently...)

Anyone have one? Do you use it? Does it fill a need that other bands cannot meet? I especially like the look of using it for deadlifts...but I'm pretty sure I can do that using other bands (that I already have), too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CuStVqnrRX0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Im6kTTd8jTw&t=583s
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-21, 05:24 PM  
fanofladyvols

Are you talking about versions of these?

https://shop.resistancebandtraining....ategory/bands/

My husband and I use them for all sorts of mobility drills (shoulders and back especially) and, yes, for chin up assist.

They can also be used to work add resistance in the essentric move to lifting.

The brand I referenced above has tons of free content on youtube for you to see the ways you can use these kinds of bands.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-21, 05:35 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i had the iron woody version. excellent product and great customer service.

i used it for pull-up assistance and left it positioned on the pull-up bar rather than use for LB work.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-21, 03:26 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I have a set, and I like them. They feel different than tubing, the thicker ones are very stiff, you can get a serious strength workout with them, they are no joke.

My set goes like this:

XXXS: 8 -15 lbs
XXS: 15 - 25 lbs
XS: 25 - 50 lbs
S: 50 - 75 lbs
M: 100 - 120 lbs
L: 120 - 175 lbs

I like using the lightest one as warm up for shoulder presses, this one feels closer to my tubing in tension yet a bit more challenging, but I feel safer using it instead of the tubing. I thought I would use the heaviest one as an assistance for pull ups, I jus tried it once and I felt It was going to send me to the ceiling! Way too strong. So, I use the M or S for that. I also like them for squats and deadlifts. HTH some.

Thanks for the videos you linked, they look great!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-21, 03:49 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
My set goes like this:

XXXS: 8 -15 lbs
XXS: 15 - 25 lbs
XS: 25 - 50 lbs
S: 50 - 75 lbs
M: 100 - 120 lbs
L: 120 - 175 lbs
what brand do you have and where's the best place to buy?

When i mentioned Iron Woody, it was in the "past tense" because i hadn't used them in a long time, and they sort of got old and brittle - i bought them around 2004 and owned them for a number of years, and stopped using them, so i threw it out, but it was good quality. i might be due for another one and would be interested in getting different resistances.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-21, 04:14 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
what brand do you have and where's the best place to buy?

When i mentioned Iron Woody, it was in the "past tense" because i hadn't used them in a long time, and they sort of got old and brittle - i bought them around 2004 and owned them for a number of years, and stopped using them, so i threw it out, but it was good quality. i might be due for another one and would be interested in getting different resistances.
Mine are Kylin Sport brand, I ordered the two lightest one (XXXS - XXS) in 2016 from different sellers, and I liked them so much that I ended ordering the others as a set for a good price directly from the Kylin Sport Official Store in 2017, I ordered through AliExpress, but I have seen them on Amazon.ca as well. They still look as new, I keep them in a sealed plastic bag when not in use.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Old 04-18-21, 10:42 AM  
prettyinpink

I have a few. I like them, but could live without them. I use them most for upper body, but to do that you need anchor, either a pull-up bar or door anchor. I’ve tried them for lower body like deadlifts and good mornings and don’t really like them.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-21, 12:11 PM  
warriorprincess

I bought the Iron Woody brand around 10 years ago when I was doing 'New Rules of Lifting' and was dedicated to trying to do a pull-up. I can do one with the heaviest band, but never really got past that. Sigh. Still, it makes that move accessible and it's an excellent back exercise.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-21, 03:01 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I have a few. I like them, but could live without them. I use them most for upper body, but to do that you need anchor, either a pull-up bar or door anchor. I’ve tried them for lower body like deadlifts and good mornings and don’t really like them.
I have never anchored them for upper body, just for pull ups, there are some DVDs that use them too. Here is a good upper body w/o with band from the same channel Alison linked on her post, and no anchor needed. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sTuf9AlmWZk&t=8s here is another one https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FP67F3pCMzk&t=5s I want to give them a try, the lower body ones look great too.

Tags
bands, iron woody bands, resistance bands, resistance loops