Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-21, 10:35 AM  
BamaTanya

Countdown clocks: helpful or not?

Do you like visible countdown clocks on the screen?

I have mixed feelings. At first, I don't. But, nearing the end (last five or ten minutes of the workout) I think it's helpful to see I'm nearly at the end. KWIM?

Can you think of workouts that only show the clock when you're almost finished?
BamaTanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-21, 10:51 AM  
laurajhawk

Some of the Jessica Smith workouts show the countdown only during the last 10 minutes. I think the ones from her 30-day box set, maybe some others?

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-21, 12:44 PM  
rykram

I used to not care one way or another about them when they first started showing up but now, I like them. I think it is because I do not have as much time to do things so I need to know when it is over. Plus, I have a bad memory so I forget when I started.
rykram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-21, 03:51 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

I used to not care, but now I LOVE them. It’s helpful to know how much longer I have in a workout...not because I want it over, but because if an interruption comes, it’s easy to say “I can get to it in 10 minutes,’ versus abandoning the workout like I used to, because I didn’t know how much time was left.

I’m really bummed that Jessica Smith has switched to a count up timer for recent workouts. If the workouts were 30 mins, I guess I could do the math, but when they’re all different lengths, it’s like not having a time at all...I mean what’s the point of a count up timer? To celebrate how many minutes I’ve been working out? Maybe it’s meant as motivational, but I find it really frustrating.
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-21, 04:24 PM  
sillygirl

A countdown timer is one of the first things I look for in a workout. Like others have mentioned, I also like to know just how much longer I have to commit to the workout, especially when working out at home with family and work obligations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixoo View Post
I’m really bummed that Jessica Smith has switched to a count up timer for recent workouts. If the workouts were 30 mins, I guess I could do the math, but when they’re all different lengths, it’s like not having a time at all...I mean what’s the point of a count up timer? To celebrate how many minutes I’ve been working out? Maybe it’s meant as motivational, but I find it really frustrating.
I recently previewed Jessica’s 4 Mile Power Walk DVD while doing housework and kept wondering why the “minutes left” kept increasing when I came back into the room. LOL! At least the circle filling up will give you an idea of how much is left but I agree, a count-up/stopwatch doesn't make sense to me either.
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-21, 06:04 PM  
Gams

I like workouts that have counting clocks. Some of Jenny Ford’s workouts keep track of the percentage of the workout you have completed. I like that, too.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-21, 06:32 PM  
Leonana

I like Jessica's counters, with the counting up and the percentage circle. I get confused with the time left clocks, and think that's how much of the workout I've done, lol.

I always check the length of the workout, so it's pretty easy for me to figure out how much time is left, and the percentage circle helps too.
Old 03-22-21, 09:21 AM  
jusca

walk it off in 30 days shows the last 10 mins. I love and require countdown clocks. My dvd play has a visible timer I use a workout doesn't have a grahpical timer.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-21, 10:01 AM  
Izzy

I am not a fan of the countdown clocks. I find myself looking at them too much. Workouts are supposed to be my time for me. If I keep checking the clock then I feel I am not devoting the time and energy to the workout.
Old 03-22-21, 10:22 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I'm a big fan of countdown clocks. I like to know exactly where I'm at during my workout and how much time I have left. If I don't enjoy a particular workout, I can always tell myself to do 5 more minutes and oftentimes that helped me to the finish line.

Tags
countdown timer