Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-16, 03:17 PM  
dnna

surprising results from a knee injury

I hurt my knee/leg 5 weeks ago and really was not able to walk without limping. I went to a regular md who gave me pain meds and a acupressure and message therapist who had a long list of what was wrong, and went for 5 treatments. anyway, for the last 5 weeks I only could do a seated workout and even. seated cardio workouts were painful,and I was a retired person who dedicated the morning to working out.
so I did The Firm Upper body sculpt with janet Brooks ( the pose! the glamour!) every other day.seated on my high step. if they went to the floor I did something seated. I stuck with this because I memorized it, and could do the whole 35 minutes seated,and it seemed like a workout .I did add in Liz Gillies 10 minute pilates arms and I also did stretches.
not bragging-kind of amazed-My upper body looks amazing. Like the Firm-you have a swimmers body. I never worked my upper body so much, and I have gone down a size or 2! in bras and shirt. and My waist has returned. at 65!
well every cloud has a silver lining. I Never would do the same workout over and over. but I am so pleased with the results!

Last edited by dnna; 01-20-16 at 03:18 PM. Reason: spelling
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-16, 03:50 PM  
Betty Boop

That's great!
Old 01-20-16, 04:22 PM  
alisoncooks

Wow! I may have to take a page from your book! I had knee surgery around New Years, and it'll be a while before I can do standing workouts.

Off to see what upper body workouts I can do!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-16, 04:33 PM  
dbclark44

That's great! I will have to keep this in mind if I'm ever unable to do any standing work. Could you perhaps have done other workouts seated though and not just that one? I would think any type weight workout, such as KCM, could be modified to do seated in some form or fashion. I never considered this but will definitely tuck it away for an In Case Of situation.

Congratulations on your results and kudos to you for not allowing that injury to get the best of you. You took a negative and turned it into a positive! I like. I like.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-16, 04:58 PM  
Erica H.

When I broke my foot a couple of years ago, I did a lot of boxing workouts while seated. Now I have a knee injury and am so frustrated because I can't do the workouts I love.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-16, 05:59 PM  
dnna

I looked at all my workouts and landed on this one because I could really sit the entire time. and it was moderate intensity and more low intermediate or even beginner. I wanted to stay in good form on the step.
I tried Margaret Richard but it just was too short- do a couple of body parts and done. I wanted the feel of an entire workout- and my Firm girls.lol.
It was really devastating to not be able to workout. I have been doing theFirm since Vol. 1 was released and spend the morning working out. overdoing actually.
also memorizing this workout helped to keep me seated and not go up and down.just kept me safe from jerking the knee/leg.
Old 01-20-16, 06:00 PM  
dnna

I also tried cardio workouts on the step- marching sitting down and It really hurt. I was going to buy some chair workouts but it was too sad-I just couldn't do it. I had to have hope.
Old 01-20-16, 06:18 PM  
videofit

Margaret's Getting Better is one of her tougher workouts and it's all seated or done on the floor sparing your foot (she had foot surgery).
Old 01-20-16, 06:18 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Like!
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-16, 06:25 PM  
dnna

I have getting better by MR but I could not do any of the leg exercises because my hip/leg/knee was hurting so much. I wondered if I could do one side but I nixed it and decided to let the lower body just heal- I was afraid that doing one side would aggravate the other side.
the injury is/was so severe that I was really afraid of getting worse, hence sitting on the high step.