Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-15, 01:05 AM  
cowfishpro

Question Do you ever think about what will happen with all your fiitness DVDs when...

Do you ever think about what will happen with all your fitness DVDs when you are no longer on this earth?

I know that this is a strange thought, but now that I am 50, I have this silly worry about buying too many fitness DVDs. These thoughts don't consume me, but I hate to think about the burden it will leave on my family of what to do with them when I am gone, and wonder if there is some way to bequeth them to VFers.

I know this sounds crazy, but does anyone else have similar thoughts?
Old 04-19-15, 01:41 AM  
Taiga

I think you may over estimate the "burden" Lol They'll likely get dropped at the nearest donation center without pause. Ideally a star truck vidiot will then purchase for a steal and post about their find

The circle of (vidiot) life

Seriously, purchase and have fun today. Death is a free pass on worrying
Old 04-19-15, 04:31 AM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

I have thought about that before, but my thinking went along the lines of someone seeing the extensive collection & going, "I had no idea there were this many exercise dvds out there!" I also think they wouldn't fully appreciate the quality, etc. Hopefully, there will be a vidiot at a thirft store thrilling over the finds.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-15, 05:42 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
I think you may over estimate the "burden" Lol They'll likely get dropped at the nearest donation center without pause. Ideally a star truck vidiot will then purchase for a steal and post about their find

The circle of (vidiot) life

Seriously, purchase and have fun today. Death is a free pass on worrying
Better donated than packed up and thrown in the land fill. Seriously, I've thought similar thoughts about much of what I own and have been trying to pare it down to only what I use. (It's not as easy as I thought.) Better for others to be able to use, wear, enjoy it than have it sit on a shelf or in a closet.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-15, 05:59 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
Better donated than packed up and thrown in the land fill. Seriously, I've thought similar thoughts about much of what I own and have been trying to pare it down to only what I use. (It's not as easy as I thought.) Better for others to be able to use, wear, enjoy it than have it sit on a shelf or in a closet.
I have been trying to do the same, especially when it comes to fitness DVDs. I guess I have realized that the older I get the less that I need. My buying has really slowed down.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-15, 06:38 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I have not thought about it this way. My entire family knows about my "obsession" with fitness dvd's. I think though that they will probably end up at a donation center, if I don't do something else with them first. I will probably keep them until I am ninety, lol.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-15, 07:31 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowfishpro View Post
Do you ever think about what will happen with all your fitness DVDs when you are no longer on this earth?
Yes, the thought does enter my mind! My guess is that my family will be saying "You'd think she would've been fitter/thinner/stronger with all these DVDs she owned."
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-15, 07:45 AM  
Aunt Famous

I can't bring myself to think about when DVD players go the way of the VCR.

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-15, 08:17 AM  
sundari

Unfortunately most family members have proven that they don't know the value. Don't bother to check if something may be valuable. And so things do get thrown out in the trash or if the member makes time to drop off as a donation. I've heard too many stories some just don't care or don't have the time to really go through all the stuff. And also some family members never downsized any part of their belongings. So the family was stuck with 30+ years of everything to sort through. Its a nightmare but it also is a dread factor.
Old 04-19-15, 08:44 AM  
BunnyHop

Yeah. I remember my great aunt's forty year stash of Redbook magazine in the garage. Not gonna do that, which is why I check in with the Decluttering thread once in a while.

I do try to donate stuff I will never, ever use, but I think I'd have to get really proactive and make a spread sheet of everything I donate to keep myself from re-purchasing. Remembering to check the spreadsheet before I buy? Another problem.