Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-27-21, 02:10 PM  
PennyK

Exercise/Health/Warding off Diseases

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-21, 02:23 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I definitely think my consistent exercise over the years has done good things for my health. It's helped me keep my weight in check and I suspect I would have health problems that other family members have had that I don't have. Have I reversed anything? Nope.
Old 04-27-21, 03:28 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

yes, yes, and yes.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-21, 03:53 PM  
Demeris

My sister and I, the oldest of my parents' kids, have always been avid exercisers.

I lost a brother a year and a half ago to cancer. He drank too much and had been significantly overweight for 20 years. Every few months, he'd decide to get healthy and lift weights for a few weeks. I still miss him, but I know his lifestyle hurt his immune system, and the doctors suggested that his weakened immune system had allowed the cancer to grow.

My two other brothers haven't exercised since their last high school PE class, and they both suffer from a myriad of health issues. The youngest, who is now 56, had both knees replaced two years ago. He carries about 75 extra pounds and drinks too much.

My sister and I have a few problems, but NOTHING like our brothers, so I suspect that exercising, watching our diets, and generally working to maintain good health have contributed to that.

I will add that when people meet us as a family, they always assume that my sister and I are the youngest, even though we're the oldest.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-21, 04:23 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

1. Yes (type 2 diabetes on both sides of our family). My brother has type 2 diabetes which came on in middle age.

2. Yes. I've made healthy eating and consistent exercise a priority since my early 20s (that is, when I was on my own and could live my life the way I wanted to.) My brother and my sister, who are both older than I am, have struggled with weight gain for decades. Neither of them were heavy in childhood and young adulthood; far from it. Both of them are emotional eaters, and in my brother's case, he has made some poor food choices. However he has been working with a registered dietician and he has been successful at losing weight. My sister, not so much.

3. I don't have chronic disease other than arthritis in both knees from too much high impact exercise (a lot of running and high impact aerobic classes in the 80s and 90s).

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-21, 04:45 PM  
mimikz

Has your healthy lifestyle kept you from getting diseases or other ailments that family members have gotten that do not have the same healthy lifestyle?

* Yes. High blood pressure, diabetes and obesity.

Have you been able to keep your weight in control, while other family members struggle with theirs?

* Finally figured out how to keep weight in control. It took some decades but I refused to give up. Dropped the last of it determined to keep myself healthy during this plague.

Have you reversed disease (high blood pressure, diabetes, etc) with a healthy lifestyle?

* Reversed obesity successfully, but I've always been healthy despite the battle. I credit my love of exercise with keeping me healthy while I figured this out.
mimikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-21, 06:36 PM  
BigBadBetty

I have had an ongoing weight battle since the age of 5. My blood pressure/cholesterol/blood sugar had all been fine until 3 years My blood pressure shot up to like 130/85. I had been working out. I ate a lot of vegetables, but I just ate too much. I cut my calories and lost 50 lbs. Now, my blood pressure is under 120/80. I gained 10 back over the last few months. I am working to not increase that any more.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 05:19 AM  
amoodygirl

Absolutely! Every time I go to the doctor for my physical, they ask me if I'm on any meds. I tell them no, none and they incredulously say, "But you're 63 - how is that possible???"

I come from a family of unhealthy people - mostly by their own hand. Heavy smokers, bad eating habits, ZERO exercise. I've been referred to as the "athlete" in the family - just because I have maintained a regular exercise routine for at least the last 40 to 45 years.

I'm no athlete, just someone who cares about my own health!

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 08:29 AM  
buffmama

Yes and yes. I didn't have any diseases to reverse when I got serious about health and fitness. Really no down side.
Old 04-28-21, 09:11 AM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoodygirl View Post
Absolutely! Every time I go to the doctor for my physical, they ask me if I'm on any meds. I tell them no, none and they incredulously say, "But you're 63 - how is that possible???"

I come from a family of unhealthy people - mostly by their own hand. Heavy smokers, bad eating habits, ZERO exercise. I've been referred to as the "athlete" in the family - just because I have maintained a regular exercise routine for at least the last 40 to 45 years.

I'm no athlete, just someone who cares about my own health!
Same with my family except the smoking; no one on either side of my family smokes. Almost everyone has prediabetes, Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc.

I am the only female in my family (on both sides) NOT overweight. I might be the only one NOT on any medication. I know I am the only one who exercises and I am the only one who eats the way I do.

I wish I had adopted my current eating habits far earlier in life. I was headed down the same path as the rest of my family and I have one condition (not diabetes) that I attribute to poor eating habits and lack of stress control during my 30s. Diet and exercise are keeping it stable and I do not need any medication at all and I am in my 50s now.

I also get surprised looks when I tell nurses that I am on no medication.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diseases, health benefits, healthy lifestyle, results