Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-12-18, 08:05 PM  
videofit

Is there a weight ratio for biceps:triceps, hamstrings:quads?

I heard that biceps can take a heavier load than triceps and quads can handle more than hamstrings.

In terms of preventing injury, what is the safe ratio, i.e. biceps 2x more than triceps?
Old 08-13-18, 07:05 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
I heard that biceps can take a heavier load than triceps and quads can handle more than hamstrings.

In terms of preventing injury, what is the safe ratio, i.e. biceps 2x more than triceps?
You're supposed to work toward a 1:1 strength ratio for biceps and triceps. (curls: pushdowns) and a 3:2 ratio for quads to hams (leg extensions: leg curls) for a healthy balance around the joint.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-18, 02:47 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenP View Post
You're supposed to work toward a 1:1 strength ratio for biceps and triceps. (curls: pushdowns) and a 3:2 ratio for quads to hams (leg extensions: leg curls) for a healthy balance around the joint.
Wow I guess it depends (using your exercise examples) but I can only use the same weight for biceps and triceps for a limited number of exercises. I do have to be careful though as I tend to develop tendonitis in my elbows--either tennis elbow or golf elbow---that seems to be related to triceps work. The ratio for hamstrings and quads seems to be pretty close to what I do.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-18, 06:18 PM  
Garrie A.

Quote:
Interesting. Shouldn't hamstrings be worked more than quads, as they are often weaker? That's just me speaking from my experience.
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Joyce Vedral "Mix-It-Up" Rotation

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 09:46 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
wow, I'm not even close to a 1:1 ratio for bis/tris. You're saying that I should be able to lift the same weight for both? Not even close. I can bicep curl up to 25# but never more than 8-10# for triceps. I hurt my elbow once trying to lift too heavy, never again.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 10:05 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I think working the quads more is a good preventative measure. Many seniors can't get up off the couch due to muscle weakness in the quads.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 10:34 PM  
videofit

I've had elbow tendonitis. I use 6 lbs for triceps and 8 for biceps. I'm expecting my weight hooks in the mail so hoping I will be able to go up to 10 for biceps and 8 for triceps depending on my elbows.

Quads are two sets of ankle weights totaling 7.5 per leg. For hams just one ankle weight of 5 lbs.

Inner and outer thighs I wear both sets of ankle weights -- but for some reason I can only wear the 5 lb set (2.5 per leg) when I do the Original Buns of Steel outer thigh work. So tough!
Old 08-15-18, 05:51 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie A. View Post
Interesting. Shouldn't hamstrings be worked more than quads, as they are often weaker? That's just me speaking from my experience.
This is what I thought too. Also, these ratios, are they for a one rep max kind of deal? Because I can lift 1:1 for biceps/triceps (curls/kickbacks is what I used to gauge it) , but I can get more reps for biceps than I can for triceps.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-18, 07:00 PM  
videofit

I thought it also has to do with the size of the muscles, i.e. biceps are bigger than triceps so you can go heavier.
Old 08-16-18, 08:56 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Wow I guess it depends (using your exercise examples) but I can only use the same weight for biceps and triceps for a limited number of exercises. I do have to be careful though as I tend to develop tendonitis in my elbows--either tennis elbow or golf elbow---that seems to be related to triceps work. The ratio for hamstrings and quads seems to be pretty close to what I do.
This is a very general aim; doesn't mean everyone is going to achieve it. Also, how much weight are your really pushing down on the pushdown machine? I find the weight I can use varies from machine to machine, so I don't think the number is really relevant.

Personally, for upper body joint health, I find it easier to break upper body movements into push (push-ups, bench press variations, OH presses) and pull (chin-ups/pull-ups, row variations) and try make sure I do AT LEAST as much pulling as pushing for a healthy balance.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote